Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: House of Wax (3D Blu-ray)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#21 of 119 RolandL

RolandL

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted June 04 2013 - 06:20 AM

That's great news! No mention of the sound in the press release. I wonder if we will get the same DD 2.0 soundtrack that was on the DVD.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#22 of 119 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• PipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 04 2013 - 06:40 AM

Looking forward to this one.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#23 of 119 Jon Lidolt

Jon Lidolt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 08:30 AM

POPULAR

WOW... House of Wax in 3D and just in time for my birthday! I can't wait.

I saw this when it was first released. I live in Canada and saw it the day the Queen was crowned. We had the day off school and since the coronation couldn't be broadcast live from England in those days, it was filmed, processed on the plane while flying over the Atlantic and shown on TV later that evening. Since we had the day off for the coronation, every kid in town ran down to the local 1200 seat movie house to see House of Wax in scary 3-Dimensions. The place was packed to the rafters. What a day that was.. my first 3D movie and the Queen's coronation all in one day. A great double-bill, wouldn't you agree?

Edited by Jon Lidolt, June 04 2013 - 08:32 AM.

• Bob Furmanek, Jim Barg and Gromilini like this

#24 of 119 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted June 04 2013 - 09:23 AM

Count me in for wanting Mystery of the Wax Museum in HD as well. The version on DVD has pretty bad color timing and isn't even progressive encoded.

• JoHud likes this

#25 of 119 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted June 04 2013 - 09:32 AM

Wasn't the laserdisc supposed to have color timing much closer to the original?

#26 of 119 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• PipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 04 2013 - 09:33 AM

Count me in for wanting Mystery of the Wax Museum in HD as well. The version on DVD has pretty bad color timing and isn't even progressive encoded.

I do agree, it would be very nice to get this in HD as well, standard definition just doesn't cut it when you are buying blu ray releases, at least not when the extra is in fact a pretty good movie in it's own right, this should be given the high definition treatment, i think it will be SD though, shame really but i doubt they will give it to us in HD.

• dana martin likes this

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#27 of 119 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted June 04 2013 - 09:35 AM

Well, we need to keep asking and making our feelings known.  If it hasn't happened, there's probably still time...

#28 of 119 sabucat

sabucat

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 10:05 AM

Correction: We are NOT running House of Wax in any "restored" or digital format; we are running it in dual 35mm, same as Expo I and II. I don't know where this incorrect info came from; I see it posted on the Steve Hoffman Forum as well. Here's the complete schedule with the correct information.  Thanks, Jeff Joseph  Producer, 3-D Expo III

http://3-dfilmexpo.c...stival-schedule

• ahollis likes this

#29 of 119 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• PipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts
  • LocationValley Glen, CA

Posted June 04 2013 - 10:29 AM

Keep in mind that a 3D film on Blu-ray essentially takes up twice the space of a 2D-only feature with the same runtime. Putting Mystery in HD on the disc may be difficult simply from a disc space issue.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#30 of 119 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• PipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 04 2013 - 10:43 AM

Keep in mind that a 3D film on Blu-ray essentially takes up twice the space of a 2D-only feature with the same runtime. Putting Mystery in HD on the disc may be difficult simply from a disc space issue.

At the very least, if they won't do a new film scan and give us it in HD then i'd like them to do a new encode, if it is standard definition then make it the best possible standard definition release and we can have it upscaled in the finest quality, use the AVC codec instead of the old MPEG2, don't just port the DVD edition over, a new encode would at least give us decent quality when upscaled.

#31 of 119 RolandL

RolandL

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted June 30 2013 - 05:25 AM

Since the Wizard of Oz and House of Wax are both announced for release on October 1, why the special page for Wizard but nothing for House of Wax?

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#32 of 119 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 30 2013 - 03:26 PM

And still no pre-order listing on Amazon (the pre-orders for other October WHV discs "Wizard of Oz" and "The Haunting" have both been up a while).

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#33 of 119 JohnS

JohnS

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 03:38 PM

I will be buying this as soon as its up for preorder.
Can't wait.

#34 of 119 dana martin

dana martin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted July 01 2013 - 07:01 PM

according to classicflix this is a 2 disc set, I hope that all of us get a surprise and Mystery is a proper HD presentation on the 2D disc!

• classicmovieguy likes this
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#35 of 119 GregK

GregK

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 07:13 PM

I think the extras will be included with a 2-D version of the feature on one bluray (This is the one ClassicFlix will rent out), while the 3-D version will have its own disc.

house-of-wax-blu-ray-ad.jpg

#36 of 119 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 01 2013 - 07:17 PM

Loving the artwork, I must say... :)

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

#37 of 119 bgart13

bgart13

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 08:01 PM

Why "House Of Wax 3D?" Isn't the 3D at the top of the cover enough? C'mon, WB -- show some respect.

And I still think it's terribly short-sighted of them not to present MYSTERY in HD (assuming this is still the case).

Edited by bgart13, July 01 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#38 of 119 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• PipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted July 01 2013 - 09:21 PM

Same way they did Dial M. Add 3-D to the title. Who cares lol.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#39 of 119 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 01 2013 - 09:31 PM

Personally I'm just really glad they added Phyllis Kirk to the cover - this movie was probably her only "big movie" and she is great in it.

#40 of 119 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Advanced Member

• 2,720 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 10:06 PM

POPULAR

Six rolls of film scanned at 4K and then restored/aligned for flawless 3-D and people still find something to complain about!

• Randy Korstick, Moe Dickstein, John Stell and 4 others like this

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

As there has been some colorful debate about the meaning of "Director-approved" transfers and how it relates to how widespread 1.66 was in the UK, I will make the following point. The dominant aspect ratio at British Studios between 1955-1970 WAS 1.75. This is based on research going through trade listings of hundreds of British films, as well as studio archives and other primary sources. 1.85 was the second most listed aspect ratio, with 1.65/1.66 a distant third.

Tom Crossplot - July 2013

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users