What's new

Onkyo 806 slowly dying... (1 Viewer)

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
I have an Onkyo 806 that seems to be dying. Well, at least the HDMI switching portion... Most of the time I have to restart the receiver and/or input devices to get it to "pick up" the signal. So my questions are: 1)Is this something worth fixing? 2)If not, help me pick a replacement.

1) I did not find anything in searching here on this issue. I did find a thread on AVS about a similar issue with the 876, but that model uses a different video processor.

2) If I were to look for something new, I would want something that would meet my requirements and nothing more. While the 806 is currently my main receiver, it will be "demoted" later this year to backup duty. I need 7.1 capability for my current use, but likely will only go to 5.1 in the backup room. Current inputs are Bluray player, Xbox360, and Uverse. I need something that can switch HDMI between the 3. Future use will have Xbox360, PS3, PS2, Wii, and Uverse. So it needs to be capable of switching between the 3 HDMI sources and ideally outputting the Component sources through the HDMI as well. Are any of the "budget" models from Onkyo or Denon capable of this? Currently the 806 isn't capable of doing this with the Wii.

Thanks in advance guys..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There are "we fix your X06" postings all over Ebay.HDMI boards are a simple fix. 700 series and up Onkyo still command a decent amount of money on the used market. Even if you don't want to fix your 806, somebody will buy it...to do it.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
My 606 has the same problem. I had a 1080i RPTV and was using component for video and HDMI for audio. Now my TV is going downhill I will be buying a new TV and going to all HDMI. Will investigate this fix...

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
Hmm.. the fix doesn't seem "simple" to my mind, but I do have a brother-in-law who runs a circuit board testing shop. I will have to reach out to him and see what he thinks... Bleddyn, here is the video I found on the fix:

Thanks,
Nathan

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cliff
If you still have your confidence in Onkyo, as I do, they have plenty to choose from that are network capable, have many HDMI inputs and can do 7.2, 4K, Blue tooth and remote apps for $400 to $500. I don't know if that's more than your budget, but they are a great deal. If I had only waited a couple of years, I would have all that and only paid half of what I did but I'm still happy. :D

beyond 1000

Auditioning
I have an Onkyo 906 and run it as a pre/pro to a multichannel amp. The HDMI board gave the ol' resignation notice and said to the rest of the AVR " take this job and shove it". BTW that's what onkyo said to me. I hear it will cost lots to repair it. I run the system as 7.1 analog LPCM and have not looked back. I still love my 906.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
beyond 1000 said:
I have an Onkyo 906 and run it as a pre/pro to a multichannel amp. The HDMI board gave the ol' resignation notice and said to the rest of the AVR " take this job and shove it". BTW that's what onkyo said to me. I hear it will cost lots to repair it. I run the system as 7.1 analog LPCM and have not looked back. I still love my 906.
Lots of Ebay listings for fixing the HDMI board out there. There is no reason to go through Onkyo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks