Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Onkyo 806 slowly dying...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Nathan_F

Nathan_F

Second Unit

• 258 posts
  • LocationFishers, IN

Posted June 01 2013 - 03:56 PM

I have an Onkyo 806 that seems to be dying.  Well, at least the HDMI switching portion...  Most of the time I have to restart the receiver and/or input devices to get it to "pick up" the signal.  So my questions are: 1)Is this something worth fixing?  2)If not, help me pick a replacement.

1) I did not find anything in searching here on this issue.  I did find a thread on AVS about a similar issue with the 876, but that model uses a different video processor.

2) If I were to look for something new, I would want something that would meet my requirements and nothing more.  While the 806 is currently my main receiver, it will be "demoted" later this year to backup duty.  I need 7.1 capability for my current use, but likely will only go to 5.1 in the backup room.  Current inputs are Bluray player, Xbox360, and Uverse.  I need something that can switch HDMI between the 3.  Future use will have Xbox360, PS3, PS2, Wii, and Uverse.  So it needs to be capable of switching between the 3 HDMI sources and ideally outputting the Component sources through the HDMI as well.  Are any of the "budget" models from Onkyo or Denon capable of this?  Currently the 806 isn't capable of doing this with the Wii.

Thanks in advance guys..

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,453 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted June 01 2013 - 04:43 PM

There are "we fix your X06" postings all over Ebay.

HDMI boards are a simple fix. 700 series and up Onkyo still command a decent amount of money on the used market. Even if you don't want to fix your 806, somebody will buy it...to do it.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted June 02 2013 - 09:55 AM

My 606 has the same problem.  I had a 1080i RPTV and was using component for video and HDMI for audio.  Now my TV is going downhill I will be buying a new TV and going to all HDMI.  Will investigate this fix...

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Nathan_F

Nathan_F

Second Unit

• 258 posts
  • LocationFishers, IN

Posted June 03 2013 - 04:32 PM

Hmm.. the fix doesn't seem "simple" to my mind, but I do have a brother-in-law who runs a circuit board testing shop.  I will have to reach out to him and see what he thinks...  Bleddyn, here is the video I found on the fix: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gj0x5S9ez5U

Thanks,

Nathan

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   hotrodguy

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts
  • LocationL.A.

Posted June 11 2013 - 11:57 AM

If you still have your confidence in Onkyo, as I do, they have plenty to choose from that are network capable, have many HDMI inputs and can do 7.2, 4K, Blue tooth and remote apps for $400 to $500. I don't know if that's more than your budget, but they are a great deal. If I had only waited a couple of years, I would have all that and only paid half of what I did but I'm still happy. :D

Time to play!

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   beyond 1000

beyond 1000

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted November 02 2013 - 05:54 PM

I have an Onkyo 906 and run it as a pre/pro to a multichannel amp. The HDMI board gave the ol' resignation notice and said to the rest of the AVR " take this job and shove it". BTW that's what onkyo said to me. I hear it will cost lots to repair it. I run the system as 7.1 analog LPCM and have not looked back. I still love my 906.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,453 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted November 03 2013 - 11:32 AM

I have an Onkyo 906 and run it as a pre/pro to a multichannel amp. The HDMI board gave the ol' resignation notice and said to the rest of the AVR " take this job and shove it". BTW that's what onkyo said to me. I hear it will cost lots to repair it. I run the system as 7.1 analog LPCM and have not looked back. I still love my 906.

Lots of Ebay listings for fixing the HDMI board out there. There is no reason to go through Onkyo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users