What's new

Olive Films Blu-ray Release and Discussion Thread (3 Viewers)

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
Great news about THE QUIET MAN quality. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but Olive's GREED IN THE SUN/100,000 DOLLARS AU SOLEIL (black and white, scope, trucks doing dangerous things in the desert) and THE BRAIN/LE CERVEAU (wild late 60s color and scope, a sequence filmed on London's Carnaby Street, money trains getting robbed) are beautiful transfers, no doubt the original Gaumont restorations. Nice to get some of these Gaumont's with English subtitles, hopefully Olive will bring us more besides the two on their schedule for February.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
ahollis said:
The above titles were released by Rebublic. While Paramount owns that libarary, there ar no Paramount titles there. Those might be with the Warner agreement. I hope so.
Internet Movie Database is not like Wikipedia. Authoritative sources supply the information. So if Olive has claimed distribution rights to these movies with IMDB, you can be pretty assured that it is accurate. While Warner make eek out more quality than Olive, Olive will at least guarantee Blu-ray releases, while Warner will relegate most of it's holdings to DVD-R.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Mark-P
Internet Movie Database is not like Wikipedia. Authoritative sources supply the information. So if Olive has claimed distribution rights to these movies with IMDB, you can be pretty assured that it is accurate. While Warner make eek out more quality than Olive, Olive will at least guarantee Blu-ray releases, while Warner will relegate most of it's holdings to DVD-R.
Warner isn't relegating any Wayne titles to DVD-R! If they're releasing it then it's coming out on BD.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
David2mayes said:
I look forward to the opinions of DVD reviewers.http://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/174164/
71f7d208_78.jpeg
My opinion is that Angie Dickinson has great legs. Her character in China Gate is called "Lucky Legs!" Go figure.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by borisfw
Originally Posted by Sean Greenwood
My opinion is that Angie Dickinson has great everything...
I'll go along with that .

Me, too.
I'm also looking forward to revisiting Ironweed. I was excited for the film when it was released. The story is set in my hometown of Albany, NY (part of the William Kennedy series of books set in Albany). At the time, however, I was disappointed in what I thought was a sluggish, disjointed story. Of course, I was 28 back in 1987. I hope I can enjoy the film more when I look at it with these 53 year old eyes. That's not always the case, however.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by ScottHM
I can't believe this is actually being released on Blu-ray, but here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/Devil-Jones-Blu-ray-Robert-Cummings/dp/B00B27WSOQ/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp
---------------
Love that movie...but that....ummm...cover...might (just might) lead the casual viewer into thinking they were getting something else!!
I love Charles Coburn learning the joys of "tuna popovers" and the look on Spring Byington's face as he proceeds to devour her entire lunch! I think I'm going to pre-order this! Thanks for the tip

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Will Krupp said:
Love that movie...but that....ummm...cover...might (just might) lead the casual viewer into thinking they were getting something else!! I love Charles Coburn learning the joys of "tuna popovers" and the look on Spring Byington's face as he proceeds to devour her entire lunch!  I think I'm going to pre-order this!  Thanks for the tip :)
Anything the great Charles Corbin did is thumbs up for me. Even his 2 minute bit with Billie Burke in PEPE. And Spring Byington is always a pleasure. Per-ordered also.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Will Krupp said:
Love that movie...but that....ummm...cover...might (just might) lead the casual viewer into thinking they were getting something else!!
41b63771_51f7jmCuATL.jpeg
Consumers might get it mixed up with The Devil In Miss Jones.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Worth

Consumers might get it mixed up with The Devil In Miss Jones.
and furthermore.....If I didn't know better I'd almost think it was intentional. At best the cover looks like some Swedish Sex Comedy from the early 70's!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I e-mailed Olive asking if THE PAWNBROKER was still forthcoming and have not received a reply. Are there any Olive insiders here?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by JoHud
We'll probably see The Pawnbroker sooner rather than later due to its Academy Award winning resume.
Mister Lime said in the DVD thread during the April title announcements that The Pawnbroker is on schedule for an early summer (June-July) release.

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean Axmaker
I just saw the "China Gate" Blu-ray last night and posted a review of it at VIdeodrone today. It's far from perfect -- there is some series wear in parts of the print -- but well-mastered and has decent sound. Barring a restoration, probably as good as we can expect.
Maverick Classic: Sam Fuller's 'China Gate' The long awaited debut of Fuller's pulpy, proto-Vietnam war drama in glorious widscreen
00290065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_f947180f-0c52-49d9-bd7c-649a2d83586a_20130327012432_Chinagate200.jpg
I've been waiting quite literally for decades for a widescreen release of Sam Fuller's "China Gate" (Olive) on home video. Long overdue on disc, it has never been made available widescreen on video of any kind, relegated to pan-and-scan on the long out-of-print VHS release and every any TV or cable showings I've ever found. And I've been looking for a long time. Olive Films, working with Paramount, has finally offered the complete film on home video.
Set in the early years of the Vietnam War (when it was still called Indochina) with a multinational platoon of French, American, and German career soldiers, it's classic Fuller pulp storytelling. Angie Dickinson gets a memorable introduction -- all long legs stretched out over a bombed-out saloon in the rubble of a Vietnamese village -- and an even better character as Lucky Legs. She's the daughter of an American soldier and a Vietnamese mother and the mother of an adorable boy who received all the Asian characteristics that skipped over her. Don't fret that she doesn't look Asian, because that's essential to the story: her G.I. husband, the gruff Sgt. Brock (Gene Barry), fell in love with a woman who looked American but his bigotry reared up when he took one look at his newborn son and he walked out on wife and child both.
That makes for a volatile situation when the estranged couple teams up for a mission to blow up a North Vietnamese munitions dump, using her booze smuggling operation as cover for their mission. He's doing it for duty, she's doing it for an American passport for her son.
Nat 'King' Cole co-stars as a fellow American soldier disgusted by Barry's racist rejection of his son -- he's not much of an actor but he creates a strong impression on screen (watch him bite back a scream when he steps on a punji stick) and sings the film's melancholy theme song -- and Lee Van Cleef is Dickinson's Vietnamese cousin, a true red communist commander who wants Lucky to move north and join his side.
Full review at Videodrone
http://social.entertainment.msn.com/movies/blogs/videodrone-blog.aspx?feat=a7ae7652-51e8-4bb5-a406-0588e79349f9

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Many of this week's titles haven't shipped out and it isn't retailer specific so apparently, Olive might be having some distribution or manufacturing issues.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Robert Crawford said:
Many of this week's titles haven't shipped out and it isn't retailer specific so apparently, Olive might be having some distribution or manufacturing issues.
In the Weekly Roundup thread, a member posted "Olive is killing me this week", and I replied, listing 7 (7!) titles I am interested in this week:

McLintock
The Devil and Miss Jones
The Sun Shines Bright
Ruthless
Hell's Half Acre
The Atomic Kid
China Gate

In the Blu-Ray forum I think a user (Sean Ax?) has posted a mini-review of China Gate, so he must have received his copy.

As for the rest of us, I wonder if Olive finally just reached a point where they tried to release too many titles in the same week.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I just got McLintock! and the most interesting thing about the release is that it is given co-distributor credit to Ignite Films with no Paramount or Batjac logo in sight.

Doing a bit more research on Ignite reveals that they also have done restoration work on the films in the Enterprise library, which is also among the Republic holdings that Olive has been releasing as well as some PD films and select copyrighted Otto Preminger films. They may have been responsible for the materials for some of the Enterprise produced films Olive released such as Macbeth, The Secret Behind the Door and Letter to an Unknown Woman, most of which are advertised as available in HD.

I looked at what Ignite Films has available in terms of movies they advertise as "available in High Definition restored version" that haven't been made available on home video yet and I came up with the following. Note that some have home video rights outside of Ignite and Olive (i.e. the 2 Preminger films):

PATTERNS (1956)
FOUR FACES WEST (1948)
THE PRIVATE AFFAIRS OF BEL AMI (1947)
FIVE SAVAGE MEN (1971)
SAINT JOAN (1957)
MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (1955)
PANCHO VILLA (1972)
PSYCHOMANIA (1971)
SECOND CHORUS (1940)
THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS (1962)
BLOODY BIRTHDAY (1981)
CRUCIBLE OF TERROR (1971)

Checking Ignite Films' currently available films is a bit of a pain since they only randomly show one title on their "Film Library" page each time it's loaded and only on that page do they mention if the film is available in High Definition. Because of this there may be some I missed. Curiously, I saw no mention of McLlintock! on their website.

Because of this new McLlintock scenario, I'm wondering if Olive will be doing more cooperation with Ignite films with PD titles outside of the Republic library and bring out some of these or other titles to home video through the Olive Films label. It doesn't look like the website is updated regularly, so there may be more titles given HD treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks