Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Olive Films Blu-ray Release and Discussion Thread

Olive Films

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
640 replies to this topic

#401 of 641 OFFLINE   Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 06:25 PM

I seriously doubt Paramount will license these cartoons to someone else in the near future and if they do, will most likely retain the same problem except perhaps the aspect ratio.  Though we can dream!

Paramount has licensed a bunch of Puppetoon cartoons to B2MP for their upcoming Puppetoon Movie Blu-Ray. By all appearances, they're an even smaller player than Olive. Companies like that will probably be the next to tackle the cartoons.

Edited by Ken_Martinez, August 26 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#402 of 641 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,886 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 07:17 PM

I think that or did the slightest work to things then people here would be falling over themselves with praise

Except, when they did do work - like for High Noon, people didn't like it.  It was the wrong work.

#403 of 641 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,827 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 26 2013 - 07:24 PM

Except, when they did do work - like for High Noon, people didn't like it.  It was the wrong work.

Though, I was relatively please with High Noon, I do think the criticism was warranted in regard to that release.  It could have looked better with some additional work.

I'm kind of surprise this thread has received such a bump in activity.  That's great as it's always nice to read different opinions.  Good or bad, collectors such as myself are thankful for Olive and the number of forgotten titles they have released on BD and that I never thought some would be released even on DVD.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#404 of 641 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,886 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 08:07 PM

Personally, I kind of view Olive as the Warner Archives for blu.   They have a terrific list of titles (many obscure or things I never thought would be put on Blu-Ray - It's In The Bag - thank you), they are priced about the same.   And almost all the Blu-Rays are a good upgrade from DVD.

I'm very happy with the Olive titles I've purchased.

David

#405 of 641 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 943 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted August 27 2013 - 03:16 AM

Pretty shocked to hear about the 1.19:1 stretching going on with most of the Betty shorts. If Olive arranged the scans themselves, what possible excuse do they have for the shorts to be stretched out once they reach the discs? Other than complete incompetence?

I squeezed a cap back to its apparent original proportions:

http://i.imgur.com/EkWVLnJ.jpg

Notice how comparatively, Betty's head looks completely distorted on the Olive Blu-ray.

Edited by EddieLarkin, August 27 2013 - 03:18 AM.

#406 of 641 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,040 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 27 2013 - 04:16 AM

Pretty shocked to hear about the 1.19:1 stretching going on with most of the Betty shorts. If Olive arranged the scans themselves, what possible excuse do they have for the shorts to be stretched out once they reach the discs? Other than complete incompetence?

Notice how comparatively, Betty's head looks completely distorted on the Olive Blu-ray.

Shocking quality control, they wouldn't listen to those in the know who informed them about the aspect ratio and instead did this, terrible decision.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#407 of 641 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,129 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 05:50 AM

The HD Walter Catwell shorts included in the recent Cohen Film Collection disc had those UM&M logos as well, so it was pretty much expected for this collection long before I got around to watching it.

Do you mean Walter Catlet?  To what disk are you referring?

#408 of 641 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,992 posts
  • LocationNew York City/San Lorenzo, PR

Posted August 27 2013 - 07:38 AM

Just wondering, would people be happier with Olive if their pricing model was like Mill Creek or Echo Bridge?  Those two companies also put out material pretty much "as is" with very little cleanup. The difference is of course that Olive specializes in much older films which have naturally suffered more deterioration. I know if Olive titles had a $10 SRP, I'd certainly be stocking up! I've been relatively happy with the few Olive titles I have purchased.

I would stock up on more Olive titles as well if they were priced between $10-15. As it is, I purchase 98% of them from Importcds, which I hate because of the time it takes to receive packages, but it feels better to pay $15 as opposed to $24.99 on Amazon. IMHO many of these Blu-rays just aren't worth $25.

Edited by cineMANIAC, August 27 2013 - 07:39 AM.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#409 of 641 OFFLINE   Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor

• 546 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 07:45 AM

I just compared Betty Boop's Bamboo Isle on the Landmark Laservision 60th Anniversary laserdisc to the version on Olive's Blu-Ray, and this comparison is right on. The distortion of the character proportions in the earlier cartoons on the Blu was obvious to me even before I did an A/B test, since I'm intimately familiar with these from numerous viewings over the decades in both commercial releases and my own tapings. What the hell were they thinking? This seriously calls for a corrected remaster and replacement.

#410 of 641 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,819 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 27 2013 - 10:03 AM

I would stock up on more Olive titles as well if they were priced between $10-15. . IMHO many of these Blu-rays just aren't worth $25.

That's my issue with Olive, that the quality often does not equate with the asking price. If these were released by Mill Creek at their price points, I would likely buy every single title Olive has released and not be inordinately concerned with the quality. At that point it's all about just wanting to see a rare movie in at least watchable shape and aligning a fair price with lower expectations.

#411 of 641 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,827 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 27 2013 - 12:03 PM

From MisterLime:

:( The Five previously announced titles ([color=rgb(0,128,0);]Bamboo Saucer[/color]/[color=rgb(75,0,130);]Bang! Bang! You're Dead![/color]/Cry Danger/[color=rgb(0,0,255);]Witchboard 2[/color]/[color=rgb(178,34,34);]Young at Heart[/color]) will be it for October.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#412 of 641 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,836 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 12:36 PM

Do you mean Walter Catlet?  To what disk are you referring?

Sorry, meant Catlet.  They are HD supplements on the Perfect Understanding blu-ray.

I just compared Betty Boop's Bamboo Isle on the Landmark Laservision 60th Anniversary laserdisc to the version on Olive's Blu-Ray, and this comparison is right on. The distortion of the character proportions in the earlier cartoons on the Blu was obvious to me even before I did an A/B test, since I'm intimately familiar with these from numerous viewings over the decades in both commercial releases and my own tapings. What the hell were they thinking? This seriously calls for a corrected remaster and replacement.

Bamboo Isle stuck out the most particularly in the live-action dancing segment at the beginning of the short.  Everyone looked very noticeably short and fat due to the horizontal stretch.  I agree that the aspect ratio problem is a really big botch given the supposed "experts" at Paramount, but even if it was Paramount's doing, Olive should have been able to correct it on their end.

Edited by JoHud, August 27 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#413 of 641 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 945 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 01:21 PM

Why, oh why? Why would they stretch it?

#414 of 641 OFFLINE   Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 08:05 AM

What I don't understand is who informed whoever did the transfer to do them at the Movietone aspect ratio in the first place.  By the time Betty Boop made her debut, all the studios in the US had agreed on using viewfinders that had an area almost identical to what the Academy would refine in 1932 (1.33-1, which AMPAS expanded to 1.37-1).

-J. Theakston

#415 of 641 OFFLINE   Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 08:28 AM

Here's a whole article on the issue: http://cartoonresear...-squashes-boop/

I like that Olive captured the whole frame instead of cropping like the older laserdiscs, but this could have been handled better.

#416 of 641 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,827 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 28 2013 - 09:38 AM

From MisterLime:

Coming in 2013 and 2014 from Olive Films

Betty Boop Volume 3 - Betty Boop Volume 4 - The Pawnbroker - The Bells of St. Mary - Stranger on the Prowl - Sleep My Love - Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid - That's My Man - I've Always Loved You - Magnificent Doll - Forever Female - Up the Junction - Home of the Brave - Johnny Come Lately - Flying Tigers - The North Star and the alternate shorter version Armored Attack - Operation Petticoat - Distant Drums - Good Sam - High School Confidential - Love Happy - Sands of Iwo Jima - South of St. Louis - Try and Get Me (aka The Sound of Fury) - So This is New York - Arch of Triumph - Caught - The Lost Moment - Men in War - The Other Love - Cauldron of Blood - Beware, My Lovely - Outrage - Dr. Terror's House of Horrors - Man on the Roof - The Adalen Riots - Elvira Madigan - Raven's End - Fedora - The Stationmaster's Wife (Uncut Version) - Dead Heat on Beethoven Street (Uncut never-before-seen version) - J'Accuse (1938) - Ophelia (Chabrol) - The World's Most Beautiful Swindlers - Guilty of Romance - Himizu - and more Blu-ray releases of the previously released DVDs

More Upcoming Titles - To Be Announced... :)

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#417 of 641 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,827 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 28 2013 - 09:42 AM

Despite the fury over the Betty Boop films, I'll be looking forward to the following titles:

The Pawnbroker

Home of the Brave

Flying Tigers

The North Star

Operation Petticoat

Distant Drums

Sands of Iwo Jima

South of St. Louis

Men in War

Beware, My Lovely

Good Sam

Caught

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#418 of 641 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,827 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 31 2013 - 04:07 AM

Yesterday, I viewed the blu-rays of Flat Top and Only the Valiant.  The former was mediocre at best PQ-wise while the latter was very good with only a few rough dupey patches.  Besides Flat Top being dirty and scratched, the color appeared off to me with the Cinecolor process.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#419 of 641 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,980 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 04:36 AM

Cinecolor has a limited palette and FLAT TOP is in the two-color system.

http://www.widescree.../cinecolor2.htm

With that said, I've run quite a few in original 35mm prints and they can look very nice.

I mastered SCARED TO DEATH from nitrate Cinecolor for laser disc twenty years ago and it looked pretty good.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

SAMSPACE_02_edited-1_zpse1008419.jpg

#420 of 641 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,827 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 31 2013 - 04:44 AM

Cinecolor has a limited palette and FLAT TOP is in the two-color system.

http://www.widescree.../cinecolor2.htm

With that said, I've run quite a few in original 35mm prints and they can look very nice.

I mastered SCARED TO DEATH from nitrate Cinecolor for laser disc twenty years ago and it looked pretty good.

Bob,

It looked very red or pink in many scenes and I'm not talking the scenes in which the actors were in red light conditions for the pilots to adjust their eyes to darkness.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users