Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Olive Films Blu-ray Release and Discussion Thread

Olive Films

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
731 replies to this topic

#1 of 732 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,844 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 02 2012 - 10:13 PM

I just noticed there isn't a thread in this section of the forum to discuss the Olive BRD releases.  Since, they are releasing so many titles each month, I think it's a good idea to keep track of what's coming out for those that are interested because some of these titles haven't even received a SD DVD release in Region1.

Previously Released Olive Titles

Amer

Assault on a Queen

Badge 373

Body and Soul (Olive)

Boeing (707) Boeing (707)

The Boogens (Olive)

Bound (Olive)

Breaking Glass

The Buccaneer (1958)

Captain Carey U.S.A. (Olive)

Carmen (1984)

Child's Play (1972) (Olive)

The Colossus of New York

Come Blow Your Horn

Crack in the World

Cyrano De Bergerac (Olive)

The Dark Mirror (Olive)

Denver and Rio Grande

Despair (1978)

A Double Life (Olive)

Fire with Fire (Olive)

Firstborn (Olive)

Force of Evil (Olive)

The Geisha Boy

The Hangman (1959)

Hannie Caulder

The Hellstrom Chronicle

High Noon (1952)

Hit!

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

It'$ Only Money

The Jayhawkers!

Johnny Guitar (Olive)

Letter from an Unknown Woman (Olive)

Love Exposure (Olive)

Macbeth (1948) (Olive)

Man on a Swing (Olive)

Man-Trap (Olive)

The Mountain

The Milk of Sorrow (Olive)

My Son John (Olive)

A New Leaf (Olive)

The Night of the Grizzly

The Night Riders (Olive)

Nijinsky

Overland Stage Raiders (Olive)

The Perfect Weapon

Private Hell 36 (Olive)

Project X (1968)

Pursued (Olive)

Red River Range (Olive)

Rio Grande (Olive)

Rock-a-Bye Baby (1958)

Run for Cover (1955)

Sands of the Kalahari

Secret Beyond the Door (Olive)

Silver City (1951)

The Slender Thread (Olive)

The Space Children

The Spirit Is Willing

Stephen King's Thinner (Olive)

The Sterile Cuckoo (Olive)

Tales That Witness Madness

Three Secrets (Olive)

Three Texas Steers (Olive)

Too Late Blues

Train of Life (Olive)

Up Tight! (Olive)

Where Love Has Gone

Who's Got the Action?

Who's Minding the Store?

10-30-12

The Brain (Le Cerveau) (Olive)

Greed in the Sun (Olive)

Long Day's Journey into Night (Olive)

Taxi for Tobruk (Olive)

11-13-12

Film Noir Collection Volume One (Appointment with Danger, Dark City, Rope of Sand, Union Station)

Twilight's Last Gleaming (Olive)

11-20-12

Ramrod (Olive)

The Trap (Olive)

01-22-12

The Quiet Man (Olive)

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#2 of 732 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,844 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 02 2012 - 10:14 PM

Note:  Some of these titles might not be BRD releases:

Here's the complete list of REPUBLIC titles coming soon from Olive Films:

Ambush at Cimarron Pass (1958) Jodie Copelan Scott Brady, Clint Eastwood, Margie Dean
Americano, The (1955) William Castle Glenn Ford, Frank Lovejoy, Cesar Romero
Angel and the Badman (1947) James Edward Grant John Wayne, Gail Russell, Harry Carey, Bruce Cabot
Arch of Triumph (1948) Lewis Milestone Ingrid Bergman, Charles Boyer, Charles Laughton, Louis Calhern
Armored Attack (1943) aka The North Star Lewis Milestone Anne Baxter, Dana Andrews, Farley Granger
Atomic Kid, The (1954) Leslie H. Martinson Mickey Rooney, Robert Strauss
Bamboo Saucer, The (1968) Frank Telford Dan Duryea, James Hong
Bang! Bang! You're Dead! (1966) Don Sharp Tony Randall, Senta Berger, Terry-Thomas, Herbert Lom, Klaus Kinski
Bells of St. Mary, The (1945) Leo McCarey Bing Crosby, Ingrid Bergman
Beware, My Lovely (1952) Harry Horner Ida Lupino, Robert Ryan
Blood on the Sun (1945) Frank Lloyd James Cagney, Sylvia Sidney
Blowing Wild (1953) Hugo Fregonese Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck, Anthony Quinn, Ward Bond
Breakthrough (1979) Andrew V. McLaglen Richard Burton, Rod Steiger, Robert Mitchum
Bullfighter and the Lady, The (1951) Budd Boetticher Robert Stack, Joy Page, Gilbert Roland, Katy Jurado
Cadence (1990) Martin Sheen Charlie Sheen, Martin Sheen, Larry Fishburne
Caught (1949) Max Ophuls James Mason, Barbara Bel Geddes, Robert Ryan
Cauldron of Blood (1970) AKA Blind Man's Bluff Santos Alcocer Jean-Pierre Aumont, Boris Karloff, Viveca Lindfors
Champion (1949) Mark Robson Kirk Douglas, Marilyn Maxwell, Arthur Kennedy, Paul Stewart
China Gate (1957) Samuel Fuller Gene Barry, Angie Dickenson, Nat King Cole, Lee Van Cleef
City That Never Sleeps (1953) John H. Auer Gig Young, Mala Powers, Chill Wills
Cloak and Dagger (1946) Fritz Lang Gary Cooper, Lilli Palmer, Robert Alda
Copacabana (1947) Alfred E. Green Groucho Marx, Carmen Miranda
Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell, The (1955) Otto Preminger Gary Cooper, Rod Steiger
Crashout (1955) Lewis R. Foster William Bendix, Arthur Kennedy, Gene Evans
Cry Danger (1951) Robert Parrish Dick Powell, Rhonda Fleming
Cry Vengeance (1954) Mark Stevens Mark Stevens
Cujo (1983) Lewis Teague Dee Wallace, Danny Pintauro
Dakota (1945) Joseph Kane John Wayne, Vera Ralston, Walter Brennan, Ward Bond, Mike Mazurki
Dark Command (1940) Raoul Walsh John Wayne, Claire Trevor, Roy Rogers, Walter Pidgeon
Devil and Miss Jones, The (1941) Sam Wood Jean Arthur, Robert Cummings, Charles Coburn, Edmund Gwenn
Diary of a Chambermaid (1946) Jean Renoir Paulette Goddard, Burgess Meredith, Judith Anderson
Distant Drums (1951) Raoul Walsh Gary Cooper, Mari Aldon
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965) Freddie Francis Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Michael Gough
Enforcer, The (1951) Bretaigne Windust Humphrey Bogart, Zero Mostel
Father Goose (1964) Ralph Nelson Cary Grant, Leslie Caron
Fighter Attack (1953) Lesley Selander Sterling Hayden, J. Carrol Naish, Joy Page
Fighting Kentuckian, The (1949) George Waggner John Wayne, Vera Ralston, Oliver Hardy, Philip Dorn
Fighting Seabees, The (1944) Edward Ludwig John Wayne, Susan Hayward
Fire Maidens of Outer Space (1956) Cy Roth Anthony Dexter, Susan Shaw
Flame of Barbary Coast (1945) Joseph Kane John Wayne, Ann Dvorak, Virginia Grey, Paul Fix
Flat Top (1952) Lesley Selander Sterling Hayden, Richard Carlson
Flying Tigers (1942) David Miller John Wayne, John Carroll
Frontier Horizon (1939) AKA New Frontier George Sherman John Wayne, Ray Corrigan, Rymond Hatton, Jennifer Jones
Girl Who Knew Too Much, The (1969) Francis D. Lyon Adam West, Nancy Kwan, Robert Alda
Good Sam (1948) Leo McCarey Gary Cooper, Ann Sheridan
Grass is Greener, The (1960) Stanley Donen Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr, Robert Mitchum, Jean Simmons
Guest Wife (1945) Sam Wood Claudette Colbert, Don Ameche
Hanger 18 (1980) James L. Conway Darren McGavin, Robert Vaughn, Gary Collins, Joseph Campanella, Pamela Bellwood
Hell's Half Acre (1954) John H. Auer Wendell Corey, Evelyn Keyes, Elsa Lanchester, Marie Windsor
High School Confidential (1958) Jack Arnold Russ Tamblyn, Jan Sterling
Highlander II (1991) Both Versions Russell Mulcahy Christopher Lambert, Sean Connery, Virginia Madsen, Michael Ironside
Home of the Brave (1949) Mark Robson Jeff Corey, James Edwards, Lloyd Bridges, Frank Lovejoy
Hoodlum Empire (1952) Joseph Kane Brian Donlevy, Claire Trevor, Forrest Tucker, Gene Lockhart
I've Always Loved You (1946) Frank Borzage Philip Dorn, Catherine McLeod
In Old California (1942) William C. McGann John Wayne, Binnie Barnes, Albert Dekker
Indiscreet (1958) Stanley Donen Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman
Ironweed (1987) Hector Babenco Jack Nicholson, Meryl Streep
Irreconcilable Differences (1984) Charles Shyer Ryan O'Neal, Shelley Long, Drew Barrymore
It's in the Bag! (1945) Richard Wallace Fred Allen, Jack Benny
Johnny Come Lately (1943) William K. Howard James Cagney, Grace George
Julius Caesar (1970) Stuart Burge Charlton Heston, Jason Robards
King of the Pecos (1936) Joseph Kane John Wayne, Muriel Evans, Cy Kendall
Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye (1950) Gordon Douglas James Cagney, Barbara Payton, Ward Bond
Lady For a Night (1942) Leigh Jason John Wayne, Joan Blondell
Lady From Louisiana (1941) Bernard Vorhaus John Wayne, One Munson
Lady Takes a Chance, A (1943) William A. Seiter John Wayne, Jean Arthur, Charles Winninger, Phil Silvers
Last Command, The (1955) Frank Lloyd Sterling Hayden, Ernest Borgnine
Lawless Nineties, The (1936) Joseph Kane John Wayne, Ann Rutherford, Gabby Hayes
Life and Times of Grizzly Adams, The (1974) Richard Friedenberg Dan Haggerty, Don Shanks
Live Nude Girls (1995) Julianna Lavin Dana Delany, Kim Cattrall
Lonely Trail, The (1936) Joseph Kane John Wayne, Ann Rutherford
Long Day's Journey Into Night (1962) Sidney Lumet Katharine Hepburn, Ralph Richardson, Jason Robards, Dean Stockwell
Lost Moment, The (1947) Martin Gabel Robert Cummings, Susan Hayward
Love Happy (1949) David Miller Marx Brothers, Marilyn Monroe
Magic Christian, The (1969) Joseph McGrath Peter Sellers, Ringo Starr
Magic Town (1947) William Wellman James Stewart, Jane Wyman
Magnificent Doll (1946) Frank Borzage Ginger Rogers, David Niven, Burgess Meredith
Man Alone, A (1955) Ray Milland Ray Milland, Ward Bond, Raymond Burr, Lee Van Cleef, Alan Hale Jr.
Man Betrayed, A (1941) aka Wheel of Fortune John H. Auer John Wayne, Frances Dee, Ward Bond
Marjorie Morningstar (1958) Irving Rapper Gene Kelly, Natalie Wood, Claire Trevor
Men, The (1950) Fred Zinnemann Marlon Brando, Teresa Wright, Jack Webb
Miracle of the Bells, The (1948) Irvin Pichel Fred MacMurray, Frank Sinatra, Alida Valli
Monster Squad, The (1987) Fred Dekker Andre Gower, Tom Noonan
Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid (1948) Irvin Pichel William Powell, Ann Blyth
New Frontier, The (1935) George Sherman John Wayne, Ray Corrigan, Raymond Hatton, Jennifer Jones
Night of the Demons 2 (1994) Brian Trenchard-Smith Cristi Harris, Darin Heames
Night of the Scarecrow (1995) Jeff Burr Elizabeth Barondes, John Mese
One of Our Aircraft is Missing (1942) Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger Godfrey Tearle, Eric Portman
One Touch of Venus (1948) William A. Seiter Robert Walker, Ava Gardner
Only the Valiant (1951) Gordon Douglas Gregory Peck, Barbara Payton, Ward Bond, Gig Young
Operation Petticoat (1959) Blake Edwards Cary Grant, Tony Curtis
Oregon Trail (1936) Scott Pembroke John Wayne, Ann Rutherford
Other Love, The (1947) Andre De Toth Barbara Stanwyck, David Niven, Richard Conte, Gilbert Roland
Outrage (1950) Ida Lupino Mala Powers, Tod Andrews
Pals of the Saddle (1938) George Sherman John Wayne, Ray Corrigan, Max Terhune
Pawnbroker, The (1964) Sidney Lumet Rod Steiger, Geraldine Fitzgerald
Penny Serenade (1941) George Stevens Cary Grant, Irene Dunne, Beulah Bondi
Plunder Road (1957) Hubert Cornfield Gene Raymond, Jeanne Cooper, Elisha Cook Jr.
Quiet Man, The (1952) John Ford John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara
Ramrod (1947) Andre De Toth Joel McCrea, Veronica Lake, Don DeFore, Donald Crisp, Lloyd Bridges
Red Menace, The (1949) R.G. Springsteen Robert Rockwell, Hannelore Axman
Red Pony, The (1949) Lewis Milestone Myrna Loy, Robert Mitchum
Retreat, Hell! (1952) Joseph H. Lewis Frank Lovejoy, Richard Carlson, Anita Louise, Russ Tamblyn
Reuben, Reuben (1983) Robert Ellis Miller Tom Conti, Kelly McGillis, Roberts Blossom
Running Man, The (1987) Paul Michael Glaser Arnold Schwarzenegger, Yaphet Kotto
Ruthless (1948) Edgar G. Ulmer Zachary Scott, Sidney Greenstreet
Sands of Iwo Jima (1949) Allan Dwan John Wayne, John Agar
Santa Fe Stampede (1938) George Sherman John Wayne, Ray Corrigan, Max Terhune
Shack Out on 101 (1955) Edward Dein Terry Moore, Lee Marvin, Frank Lovejoy, Keenan Wynn
Shark! (1969) Samuel Fuller Burt Reynolds, Arthur Kennedy
She Devil (1957) Kurt Neumann Mari Blanchard, Jack Kelly, Albert Dekker
Showdown at Boothill (1958) Gene Fowler Jr. Charles Bronson, Robert Hutton, John Carradine
Sleep My Love (1948) Douglas Sirk Claudette Colbert, Don Ameche, Robert Cummings
So This is New York (1948) Richard Fleischer Henry Morgan, Rudy Vallee, Bill Goodwin
South of St. Louis (1949) Ray Enright Joel McCrea, Alexis Smith, Zachary Scott, Dorothy Malone
Stranger on the Prowl (1952) Joseph Losey Paul Muni, Joan Lorring
Strangers in the Night (1944) Anthony Mann William Terry, Virginia Grey
Sun Shines Bright, The (1953) John Ford Charles Winninger, Arleen Whelan, John Russell
Tam Lin (1970) aka The Devil's Widow & The Ballad of Tam Lin Roddy McDowall Ava Gardner, Ian McShane, Stephanie Beacham
That Cold Day in the Park (1969) Robert Altman Sandy Dennis, Michael Burns
That Touch of Mink (1962) Delbert Mann Cary Grant, Doris Day, Gig Young
That's My Man (1947) Frank Borzage Don Ameche, Catherine McLeod
Three Faces West (1940) Bernard Vorhaus John Wayne, Charles Coburn
Ticks (1993) aka Infested Tony Randel Rosalind Allen, Ami Dolenz, Seth Green, Peter Scolari, Clint Howard, Rance Howard
Trust (1990) (11/4/15) Hal Hartley Adrienne Shelly, Martin Donovan, Edie Falco
Try and Get Me (1950) aka The Sound of Fury Cy Endfield Frank Lovejoy, Kathleen Ryan, Richard Carlson, Lloyd Bridges
Wake of the Red Witch (1948) Edward Ludwig John Wayne, Gail Russell
War of the Wildcats (1943) aka In Old Oklahoma Albert S. Rogell John Wayne, Martha Scott
Westward Ho (1935) Robert N. Bradbury John Wayne, Sheila Bromley, Frank McGlynn Jr.
Witchboard 2 (1993) Kevin Tenney Ami Dolenz, Loraine Newman
Wyoming Outlaw (1939) George Sherman John Wayne, Ray Corrigan, Raymond Hatton
Young at Heart (1954) Gordon Douglas Doris Day, Frank Sinatra, Gig Young

http://www.hometheat...30#post_3953931

Crawdaddy

#3 of 732 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,844 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 03 2012 - 02:01 AM

The last two nights, I viewed the two Garfield BRDs.  I thought Force of Evil was really good PQ-wise with much improvement over any DVD I own of this great film noir.  I just wish it had subtitles.  Film grain was present throughout the entire disc.  As far as Body and Soul, it's a personal film favorite of mine going back to my childhood when I viewed it for the first time with my father, who happened to love Garfield and this film in particular.  I thought the PQ was good not great and it is better video-wise than any DVD I have of it, so I'm glad to see more detail and clarity to the video.  It could've been better, but I wonder about the condition of the elements especially in comparison to Force of Evil.

Anyhow, Garfield in 1080p is great, he's one of my favorite actors, right up there with Wayne, Cagney and Powell.  I just wish my father was alive today to share this viewing experience.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#4 of 732 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted August 03 2012 - 02:52 AM

Now that this is finally scheduled after weve all have been.hot and bothered about it for some time, (note the prominently displayed phallic missile). What movie can we bitch about now? FEDORA? In a year that brought us LOST.HORIZON, WINDOWS and TWILIGHTS LAST GLEAMING, im ready to roll over and smoke a cigarette.. Wait.wheres.THE GONG SHOW MOVIE, MOMENT BY MOMENT, AMERICAN HOT WAX, FRATERNITY ROW, FASY CHARLIE THE MOONBEAM RISER, RAFFERY AND THE GOLD DUST TWINS,.MANSON, THE FARMER, THE WONDERFUL CROOK, CATTLE ANNIE AND LITTLE BRITCHES, SPLIT IMAGE, THE DWVILS, YELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME JUNIE MOON, HAPPY BIRTHDAY WANDA JUNE, SECOND HAND HEARTS, JUST.A GIGOLO, ENDLESS LOVE, KINGG OF THE MOUNTAIN, WHY WOULD I.LIE? , ...... Time to get undressed again

#5 of 732 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,777 posts

Posted August 03 2012 - 03:21 AM

Robert, thanks for the updates on the two Garfield films. I really love Force of Evil and I am happy to hear that the Bd release advances the presentation. I have to be a little more selective with my purchases these days due to economic conditions, but the Garfield titles on Bd are pretty easy purchases to justify. (My father wasn't really into cinema and has been gone many years; but I can relate in other ways.) - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#6 of 732 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,785 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 03 2012 - 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Louis Letizia 

Now that this is finally scheduled after weve all have been.hot and bothered about it for some time, (note the prominently displayed phallic missile).
What movie can we bitch about now?
FEDORA?
In a year that brought us LOST.HORIZON, WINDOWS and TWILIGHTS LAST GLEAMING, im ready to roll over and smoke a cigarette..
Wait.wheres.THE GONG SHOW MOVIE, MOMENT BY MOMENT, AMERICAN HOT WAX, FRATERNITY ROW, FASY CHARLIE THE MOONBEAM RISER, RAFFERY AND THE GOLD DUST TWINS,.MANSON, THE FARMER, THE WONDERFUL CROOK, CATTLE ANNIE AND LITTLE BRITCHES, SPLIT IMAGE, THE DWVILS, YELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME JUNIE MOON, HAPPY BIRTHDAY WANDA JUNE, SECOND HAND HEARTS, JUST.A GIGOLO, ENDLESS LOVE, KINGG OF THE MOUNTAIN, WHY
WOULD I.LIE? , ......
Time to get undressed again

That is an easy answer - PEPE!!  Posted Image

And from another thread on the Blu-ray page - THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM!! Posted Image

But out of your list, I will go with AMERICAN HOT WAX and that is a Paramount title.  Right Olive?

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#7 of 732 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted August 03 2012 - 05:16 AM

I was making light of my notorious list making. But I do enjoy vety much the many views of one particular title. I am fascinatedvby the endless chatter of LOST HORIZON and TWILIGHTS LAST GLEAMING....2 films that were lambastwd upon release. (NY Timrs heaflined their review of GLEAMING with Zrro.Syars). I think AMERICAN HOT WAX deserves this attention as well as LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR, THE SLIPPER AND THEE ROSE . But the 2 mentioned above haf such orgasmic reactions I do not think that will ne duplicated in HTF anytime soon And thats what.makes up.one third of this great forum 1/3 information 1/3 debate 1/3 movie love

#8 of 732 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,785 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 03 2012 - 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Louis Letizia 

I was making light of my notorious list making. But I do enjoy vety much the many views of one particular title. I am fascinatedvby the endless chatter of LOST HORIZON and TWILIGHTS LAST GLEAMING....2 films that were lambastwd upon release. (NY Timrs heaflined their review of GLEAMING with Zrro.Syars).
I think AMERICAN HOT WAX deserves this attention as well as LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR, THE SLIPPER AND THEE ROSE .
But the 2 mentioned above haf such orgasmic reactions I do not think that will ne duplicated in HTF anytime soon
And thats what.makes up.one third of this great forum
1/3 information
1/3 debate
1/3 movie love

I sure understand your humor on this and I do enjoy good debates on film.  I would support getting AMERICAN HOT WAX out ass well as LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR.

As far as a fascinating read, take a look at THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM thread in the Blu-ray section, but start at the first.  It sometimes rivals the LOST HORIZON thread.  I look forward to catching up with that thread daily.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#9 of 732 OFFLINE   donidarko

donidarko

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted August 03 2012 - 10:38 AM

Twilight's Last Gleaming...FINALLY, October 30th according to Blu-ray.com

#10 of 732 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,705 posts

Posted August 03 2012 - 12:12 PM

The blu-ray of Rio Grande was quite good. The earlier DVD wasn't too bad, though looked softer than it should have. This blu-ray looks very good in comparison and does the location shooting far greater justice. It's not the best it could possibly look, but it didn't disappoint. However, there is a goof on the blu-ray menu calling the Rio Grande making-of documentary 'The Making of High Noon" Johnny Guitar is harder to judge. It looks better than any of the previous TV and foreign DVDs I recall, though leaves a bit to be desired. It may have to do with the Tru-Color process, but the transfer isn;t quite top-drawer. Compared to the Olive release of Run for Cover, it's not quite as impressive, though it is still one of the better color transfers Olive has made available so far.

#11 of 732 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,844 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 03 2012 - 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by donidarko 

Twilight's Last Gleaming...FINALLY, October 30th according to Blu-ray.com

No disrespect for BR.com, but that title release was reported here yesterday and this morning was noted in the first post of this thread in the upcoming releases.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#12 of 732 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,844 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 03 2012 - 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by JoHud 

The blu-ray of Rio Grande was quite good. The earlier DVD wasn't too bad, though looked softer than it should have. This blu-ray looks very good in comparison and does the location shooting far greater justice. It's not the best it could possibly look, but it didn't disappoint. However, there is a goof on the blu-ray menu calling the Rio Grande making-of documentary 'The Making of High Noon"
Johnny Guitar is harder to judge. It looks better than any of the previous TV and foreign DVDs I recall, though leaves a bit to be desired. It may have to do with the Tru-Color process, but the transfer isn;t quite top-drawer. Compared to the Olive release of Run for Cover, it's not quite as impressive, though it is still one of the better color transfers Olive has made available so far.

Also, there is an issue with Guitar and OAR not being on that disc.  Though, I personally haven't seen a good presentation of that film at all in any video format.

Crawdaddy

#13 of 732 OFFLINE   donidarko

donidarko

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted August 03 2012 - 04:13 PM

No disrespect for BR.com, but that title release was reported here yesterday and this morning was noted in the first post of this thread in the upcoming releases. OOps I'm sorry I missed that....darn it. I knew this was a hot release for a lot of people. Crawdaddy

#14 of 732 OFFLINE   jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted August 03 2012 - 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by JoHud 

Johnny Guitar is harder to judge. It looks better than any of the previous TV and foreign DVDs I recall, though leaves a bit to be desired. It may have to do with the Tru-Color process, but the transfer isn;t quite top-drawer. Compared to the Olive release of Run for Cover, it's not quite as impressive, though it is still one of the better color transfers Olive has made available so far.

Just finished watching Johnny Guitar last night.  First let me say what an incredibly great film this is.  Fun camp, but at the same good drama.  Fantastic score by Victor Young.  More great character actors than I could count.  And the TruColor process really brought out the colors.  That said, there is one problem with the original film elements, and it was a problem that plagued many films of the 50s and 60s.  Whenever the shot was strictly on one of the female leads, there was a soft-filter lens put over the camera lens.  This was suppose to keep any blemishes or wrinkles that the ladies may have had, to a minimum.  Unfortunately, it also takes away the sharpness of the image.     For these shots, I do not think there was anything Olive Films could have done to get around the issue of softness.  That is how the 35mm film was recorded.  A shame really...wish that soft-filter lens was never invented!

#15 of 732 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,448 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 04 2012 - 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by jim_falconer 

Just finished watching Johnny Guitar last night.  First let me say what an incredibly great film this is.  Fun camp, but at the same good drama.  Fantastic score by Victor Young.  More great character actors than I could count.  And the TruColor process really brought out the colors.  That said, there is one problem with the original film elements, and it was a problem that plagued many films of the 50s and 60s.  Whenever the shot was strictly on one of the female leads, there was a soft-filter lens put over the camera lens.  This was suppose to keep any blemishes or wrinkles that the ladies may have had, to a minimum.  Unfortunately, it also takes away the sharpness of the image.     For these shots, I do not think there was anything Olive Films could have done to get around the issue of softness.  That is how the 35mm film was recorded.  A shame really...wish that soft-filter lens was never invented!

I hate that the film isn't in OAR, but I'll still get it since the only copy I have is a DVD-R I recorded off TCM some years ago.

Yes, diffusion lenses have been around since the silent days, and men sometimes had them used on them, too.

#16 of 732 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,705 posts

Posted August 04 2012 - 05:31 AM

That said, there is one problem with the original film elements, and it was a problem that plagued many films of the 50s and 60s.  Whenever the shot was strictly on one of the female leads, there was a soft-filter lens put over the camera lens.  This was suppose to keep any blemishes or wrinkles that the ladies may have had, to a minimum.  Unfortunately, it also takes away the sharpness of the image.  

Thanks for the input. It's a bit harder for me to peg the use of a diffusion lens in a color feature, so I'm glad that that was the reason.

#17 of 732 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,844 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 04 2012 - 05:40 AM

Well, my disc of Rio Grande shipped, but Johnny Guitar hasn't as of now.Posted Image

Crawdaddy

#18 of 732 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,844 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 04 2012 - 01:02 PM

I've added the Amazon preorder links to both Long Day's Journey Into Night and Twilight's Last Gleaming in the first post of this thread.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#19 of 732 OFFLINE   jcb07

jcb07

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted August 04 2012 - 01:51 PM

Originally posted by: Robert Crawford I just noticed there isn't a thread in this section of the forum to discuss the Olive BRD releases. Since, they are releasing so many titles each month, I think it's a good idea to keep track of what's coming out for those that are interested because some of these titles haven't even received a SD DVD release in Region1. On your list you left out Secret Beyond the Door [Blu-ray]. This title will be released on September 4, 2012 by Olive films.

#20 of 732 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,844 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 04 2012 - 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by jcb07 

Originally posted by: Robert Crawford
I just noticed there isn't a thread in this section of the forum to discuss the Olive BRD releases. Since, they are releasing so many titles each month, I think it's a good idea to keep track of what's coming out for those that are interested because some of these titles haven't even received a SD DVD release in Region1.
On your list you left out Secret Beyond the Door [Blu-ray].
This title will be released on September 4, 2012 by Olive films.

Thank you, correction made.

Crawdaddy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Olive Films

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users