What's new

Doubt with Onkyo HT-S9400THX (1 Viewer)

Chafer

Auditioning
Real Name
Carlos Alberto
Hi !

I want to buy the Onkyo HT-S9400THX and add a subwoofer unit.

Questions:

1- can I add one subwoofer without make any adaptations of something like that?
2- I was thinking in 2 subwoofers: Polk Audio PSW10 and Onkyo SKW-204. They are good? Can I just buy one and connect it in the S9400THX receiver?

Thank You!

Chafer

Auditioning
Real Name
Carlos Alberto
Yes, I will, but I was wondering in add one more, to make a 7.2 system.

Chafer

Auditioning
Real Name
Carlos Alberto
I just need to plug the both subwoofers in a spliter and all will be ok?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Simply adding another subwoofer to a system doesn't always make it better. In fact, adding two different subwoofer models (which each have their own frequency responses) with the intention of using them to "double up" the same LFE signal will often create a worse sonic situation.

The facts of the matter are these:

[*]Even though the 9400 is about the best "all-in-one" system out there, the speakers and the subwoofer are still the weak link.
[*]The Polk subwoofer is an average performer. For the same ~$100 you can do better.
[*]From the sounds of it, you haven't even purchased the 9400 system yet, so how do you even know that the stock subwoofer won't suffice in your room?
[/list]
I would suggest holding off on getting another subwoofer - at least until after you have a chance to listen to the 9400 system in your room so that you can definitively answer the question "What needs to improve with this system?"

A smarter way to use two different subwoofers is to use one as a "mid bass module" that handles "upper" lower frequencies - basically helps bridge the gap between a "real" subwoofer and your mains. The stock 9400 subwoofer would suit this need just fine. Use the second subwoofer to handle the REAL lower end stuff. For this, though, you need a GOOD subwoofer for the low stuff. The Polk won't cut it.

Get the 9400 system, see how it works for you. If you still feel you're missing some low end, come back with a budget (hopefully $200 or more) and we can point you to a solid performing subwoofer that will truly enhance your system.

Chafer

Auditioning
Real Name
Carlos Alberto
Ok, Jason. Thank you for the answer. I live in another country. I was thinking in get both products on my next trip to the US, just to bring them together. Here in my country, just the Onkyo 9400 costs about US$2700.

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
I have the Onkyo 9400 and um the subwoofer is GREAT! i have it on THX standard in the nob on the back and everything is booming you can go alot higher. the subwoofer is fine. but you might want to invest in some speakers even so they are ok but i would get better speakers the subwoofer is fine trust me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks