-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Many people who buy smart TVs don't use web features, survey says

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

• 1,951 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted May 30 2013 - 07:53 AM

Not surprisingly, Smart TV manufacturers need more intelligent marketing, according to a survey by Analysys Mason.  Could it be that many consumers don't know how to hook up their Smart HDTV to their in the house network?  Less than half of consumers who own a TV that come with applications to stream content from the web have connected their TV to the Internet.  It's unclear how much monetization TV manufacturers hope to make off "smart TV's", probably in the form of applications, but less than half of their audience hooking up doesn't bode well.  With tablets projected to outsell all PC (desktop and notebooks) by 2015, the appetite to purchase an applications for a TV seems sketchy.  (note, smart phones outsold all PC's in 2012). 

Some cable providers are also considering putting applications into their STB's, putting more pressure to use applications on Smart TV's, particularly since the STB's would most likely be connected to the internet without and extra connection.

Kevin Collins
To View My HD Collection Click Here

#2 of 9 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,501 posts

Posted May 30 2013 - 08:16 AM

They probably need to offer in home installation of ALL features, including their apps.  In all fairness, installation of the apps is not exactly child's play.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#3 of 9 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,394 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted May 30 2013 - 08:53 AM

I find the web browser cumbersome and slow to use on my Samsung plasma and i'm not interested that much in the smart hub features, occasionally i view BBC iPlayer or check the weather using the apps and i occasionally use the web browser but when i do i bring my wireless mouse downstairs and hook it up to a USB slot, makes all the difference as its unusable with the remote control and the way the browser works is sometimes a pain.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 of 9 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,981 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 30 2013 - 09:49 AM

I got a 55" Panasonic Plasma ST50 a few months ago (which I love) and have no interest in the streaming stuff.

I've got so much content to watch via my Time-Warner DVR and shelves of unwatched films that the last thing I need is streaming.  :biggrin:

I also just upgraded to a universal Pioneer player (to facilitate SACD & DVD-A content along with DVDs and Blus).  It also comes with all kinds of streaming apps which I have no interest in.

MAYBE someday...but not today.  And I highly doubt it.  But maybe.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#5 of 9 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,110 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted May 30 2013 - 10:25 AM

That says it for me.

That stuff is not why I have my plasma and my BD player.

Not interested.

#6 of 9 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted May 30 2013 - 10:21 PM

Half the stuff isn't available outside of the U.S. For example, I believe my Panasonic has Hulu on it. I live in Canada. Hulu isn't available here,so it's useless as a streaming app. Most of the other ones are like that as well.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#7 of 9 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted May 31 2013 - 11:16 AM

Without trying I have 3 devices connected to my set that will get Netflix, Hulu, etc. so I don't bother with it on my "smart tv". 

My guess is that most buyers of smart tvs already have a BD player or game console that performs these functions just fine. 

Once you get above entry-level tvs you're going to get "smart" features whether you want them or not.  If you've already set up your game console or BD player for streaming you can ignore them on the tv.  My set is web-connected but only for firmware updates.

Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#8 of 9 Paul Pratt

Paul Pratt

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts
  • LocationWetumpka, AL.

Posted June 06 2013 - 06:29 AM

I think having too many smart devices is more than likely the problem. By the time one gets a smart tv they more than likely already have a handful of devices that can access apps: AppleTV, Xbox, PS3, Wii, Tivo, etc. I think most people have already gotten comfortable with their preferred device and the tv becomes lost in the shuffle.

• Bleddyn Williams likes this
Best,
-Paul Pratt

#9 of 9 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,316 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted June 07 2013 - 10:36 AM

you could also say:

"many people that buy HDTVs don't use HD! ".

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users