What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Burning -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

The Burning (1981), directed by Tony Maylam, may have ended up on the pile of slaughter at camp films, had it not been for some of the names involved.  In reality, it's a rather decent slasher film.  Just not the first.

Photographed in upstate New York and produced by a young producer / writer team by the name of Weinstein.  Also, on board as a writer, a then 25-year old Brad Grey.

A few of the young actors getting a break, Leah Ayres, Brian Backer, a rather slim Jason Alexander, Fisher Stevens, and playing the role of Sophie, the camper, another first timer, Holly Hunter.

One of the things that sets this particular low-budget affair, which is being released by Scream Factory, apart from many others, is the overall quality of the presentation.

The imagery, which has occasional minus density, letting you know you're watching film, may be from the OCN.  It looks that good.  Like film, actually.  Monaural sound is DTS-HD MA.

Bottom line.  A fun slasher film, on a gorgeous Blu-ray from Scream Factory.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

Recommended.

RAH

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
A few of the young actors getting a break... a rather slim Jason Alexander...
I'm sure The Burning is off Alexander's resume but he's surprisingly good in it. My thoughts might be clouded by his later fame but even at his young age, he's a talented enough actor to easily steal every scene he's in. He's also clearly improving dialogue and elevating his role. No doubt that's a self serving move but still the mark of a talent that you don't see in a slasher movie.

And you know we live in a magical time when RAH says a few words about The Burning. :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
TravisR said:
I'm sure The Burning is off Alexander's resume but he's surprisingly good in it. My thoughts might be clouded by his later fame but even at his young age, he's a talented enough actor to easily steal every scene he's in. He's also clearly improving dialogue and elevating his role. No doubt that's a self serving move but still the mark of a talent that you don't see in a slasher movie.

And you know we live in a magical time when RAH says a few words about The Burning. :)
I am merely here, between doing other far lesser things, as the obt svt of HTF to allow information as to what BDs are a safe purchase.

RAH

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Of course, the real star of the show is Tom Savini. :) It isn't my favorite slasher (in fact, I'm not a big slasher fan), but it has a lot going for it. Looking forward to it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This isn't my one of my favorite slashers, but I'm picking it up now that I've read how good it looks. Thank you Mr. Harris.
TravisR said:
I'm still waiting for 'A few words about...The Boogens', and 'Death Ship' :)

Derrick King

Screenwriter
TravisR said:

After Shout/Scream announced that they were going to release THE BURNING, I tweeted to Jason Alexander and asked if he was going to be involved in the special features and his response was "WHYYYYYYY?!"

Anyone know if he has ever talked about the film?

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
The killer-in-the-woods sub genre is my favorite in the horror field, and though I prefer "Just Before Dawn", I'll pick up The Burning eventually. It's better than almost all of the Friday the 13th movies. On top of Jason Alexander, Fisher Stevens appears in this, almost un-recognizable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks