Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

My new revelation - 70s TV wasn't that bad!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 of 51 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,177 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted June 05 2013 - 07:52 AM

I might Debate you on Maude, but anyone that dismisses All in the Family as crap well I don't know what to say. It may look simplistic today, but no show up to that point took on and discussed Bigotry, race, politics, domestic abuse, pregnancy I could go on and on, it was a pavesetter and a classic television program. And beyond all that was damn funny to boot.

Some humor, yes, but very formulaic and rather drab. To each his own but Sanford and Son was much better.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#42 of 51 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,119 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 08:17 AM

I thought All in the Family and Sanford and Son were both hysterical. The Jeffersons was funny as well. Never liked Maude as it was one-sided and Bea Arthur is tough to take.

#43 of 51 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,177 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted June 05 2013 - 09:44 AM

I thought All in the Family and Sanford and Son were both hysterical. The Jeffersons was funny as well. Never liked Maude as it was one-sided and Bea Arthur is tough to take.

The Jefferson was quite hysterical; George was Archie in black skin to quite a huge extent.

My favorite Sanford and Son moment was when Esther and Fred were into (as usual). She told Fred that "when I was born, my body was blessed by Mother Nature, honey!" Fred looked at her and replied "yeah, and as you got older, it was CURSED by Father Time!"

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#44 of 51 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 05:04 AM

It's only my personal opinion but I never cared for sitcoms that were overly political. To me, if I show is going to take a political stand, it should be in a dramatic series, not a comedy that primarily depends on laughs to entice viewers. Like Neil, I also did not enjoy the complete onesideness of the Lear shows. It reminds me of a more recent show I cant stomach, Designing Women. In EVERY episode of that series, the formula was to tackle some social or political issue and then have Dixie Carter do some kind on extended monologue functioning as nothing more than a ventriloquist dummy for Linda Bloodsworth Thomason's "views."

#45 of 51 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 608 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 08:01 AM

Some humor, yes, but very formulaic and rather drab. To each his own but Sanford and Son was much better.

I don't recall "All in the Family" being formulaic or drab. But then I believe I only watched the first 2 seasons or so. It may have gotten that way in later seasons. But the stuff I saw was generally quite interesting in a dramatic way, in the way it had characters of different mindsets involved in assorted cultural/ethnic/political collisions. E.g, the one where Cleavon Little and Demond Wilson (pre-Sanford) play burglars who do a home invasion of the Bunker household and get into an exchange about race and economics with Archie and the family. Fanciful, yes, considering how home invasions usually played out, but not formulaic or drab. And there was the one where Archie gets stuck on an elevator with a bourgeois black man played by Roscoe Lee Browne and a Puerto Rican blue collar guy, played by Hector Elizondo, whose pregnant wife gives birth in the elevator. Eileen Brennan was in the episode also.

#46 of 51 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,177 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted June 06 2013 - 10:55 AM

I don't recall "All in the Family" being formulaic or drab. But then I believe I only watched the first 2 seasons or so. It may have gotten that way in later seasons. But the stuff I saw was generally quite interesting in a dramatic way, in the way it had characters of different mindsets involved in assorted cultural/ethnic/political collisions. E.g, the one where Cleavon Little and Demond Wilson (pre-Sanford) play burglars who do a home invasion of the Bunker household and get into an exchange about race and economics with Archie and the family. Fanciful, yes, considering how home invasions usually played out, but not formulaic or drab. And there was the one where Archie gets stuck on an elevator with a bourgeois black man played by Roscoe Lee Browne and a Puerto Rican blue collar guy, played by Hector Elizondo, whose pregnant wife gives birth in the elevator. Eileen Brennan was in the episode also.

I think it's like the old saying that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. It's been a while since I've watched and I'm sure I'm colored/influenced from watching it as a teenager and as a kid on network TV before that. If I watched it today I might find something different that I liked. Don't get me wrong, it had its moments but it just never had the "pace" of other shows like Sanford and Son, at least not to me.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#47 of 51 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,119 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 12:53 PM

In EVERY episode of that series, the formula was to tackle some social or political issue and then have Dixie Carter do some kind on extended monologue functioning as nothing more than a ventriloquist dummy for Linda Bloodsworth Thomason's "views."

Which pretty much explains the characters in every David E. Kelley series.

#48 of 51 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,119 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 12:55 PM

Politics aside, All in the Family was a great comedy and I know people from both sides of the political fence who agree. Interesting article in today's paper with the point being that TV today is ripe for a similar show:

http://www.newsday.c...nkers-1.5416758

#49 of 51 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,301 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 12:59 PM

Both based on British shows too; Till Death Do Us Part (1965-75) and Steptoe and Son (1962-74), respectively.

• PatrickGoodluck likes this

#50 of 51 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,119 posts

Posted June 30 2013 - 10:17 PM

Just watched a couple of the lesser known Quinn Martin shows this weekend. Bert D'Angelo Superstar and Most Wanted. Both are pretty good although I can't say I'm crazy about Paul Sorvino as either a cop or as the lead in a show. I don't find him very likeable and think he's better as a heavy. Most Wanted is like a 1970s Untouchables with emphasis more on the villains and guest stars, which makes for a more interesting show.

#51 of 51 OFFLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 05:13 AM

I remember Most Wanted airing Saturdays at 10 when I was 8 years old, but don't recall the details of any episodes. In that time slot ABC also aired Dog and Cat (starring Kim Basinger and Lou Antonio) which seemed pretty gritty to me at the time as well as The Feather and Father Gang (with Stefanie Powers and Harold Gould) which I think was lighter, less violent and more a con-game show than crime drama. ABC had a hard time finding a hit show during 1976-77 for the Saturday 10 PM time slot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users