What's new

Universal- Why won't you release SWEET CHARITY? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Saw this in film study class when I was in High School.

Decent musical, but what has always stood out for me is
the Sammy Davis Jr. number, The Rhythm of Life. Has to
be one of my all-time favorite musical moments.

Hoping for a Blu-ray release as well, and I am scratchin'
my head alongside you wondering why it has not happened
sooner.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, I saw the Broadway version with Gwen Verdon and the national tour with Gretchyn Wyler (who was phenomenal), so I found Shirley a tiny bit of a letdown. Oh, I think she was the best choice Hollywood could offer in terms of a star name to front this dance musical, and she did get the pathos right, but the Broadway score was altered too much to suit me, and Fosse as a first time film director played too much with his zoom lenses and called attention to his direction.

Still, I'd love to have it on Blu-ray. (And also those other Universal musicals mentioned above and they can throw in Blue Skies and some Deanna Durbin classics while they're at it, too.)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I would have thought Universal would have included "Sweet Charity" in the 100th Anniversary range - and yes, ditto "Millie" and "Flower Drum Song".

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Well, perhaps one might ask: Universal, why are you so negligent in releasing ANY of your pre-80's classics on blu-ray. Or, why won't you simply do a decent scan of SPARTACUS and FINALLY upgrade that embarrassment you put out a few years ago. Or, why hasn't your legendary ghost story masterpiece, THE UNINVITED, ever been released on DVD (much less BD) here in the States. Or, why is the beloved Dick Powell horse and dog crime comedy YOU CAN NEVER TELL also still MIA. I'd certainly rush to buy SWEET CHARITY, as well, but I'm not counting on it coming soon with the way this bunch operates.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Caught this onTCM Friday and it looked terrific in HD . Anyone else see it?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I knew it was coming on and meant to record it to see if the broadcast was in HD, but I didn't get around to setting the DVR. Drat! I'm sure it'll be back next month during Oscar celebrations since it was an Oscar nominee.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Okay, this sort of intrigues me. I read the post about THE LION IN WINTER, went to turn it on and I found CIMARRON with Glen Ford and that was what had been listed in the guide all along as playing then. I know I am in Canada, but why the film would be different here is a mystery to me. They did show SWEET CHARITY last night. "Is a Puzzlement", said the blue king.

Roger Grodsky

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the TCM HD broadcast of SWEET CHARITY looks (and sounds) amazing and appears to be the long version, but they have stopped including the overture, intermission and entr'acte which they used to play (they also used to show the alternate ending as an "extra").

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
trajan said:
Music rights? Won't make money. I saw this roadshow and think this would make a great looking [and sounding] bluray. Anyone else liked this musical?
One of my all time favourite musicals. Saw it many times in 70mm. I also saw 3 of the cast perform on stage ( Shirley MacLaine ,Chita Rivera and Sammy Davis Jr).

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
I'm watching SWEET CHARITY in hi def right now on TCM and it looks great . Do they have an HD master or is this just an upscale dvd master? I want the transfer they are showing!

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Darn you! I was already to head for bed and then had to check it out. It looks great...obviously a pretty recent HD master. The colour is beautiful and the detail great - even with the compression we get here from the cable companies. If they won't release it, why won't Universal license it to someone else? It looks like the hard work has already been done. We live in hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks