What's new

Can you pair speakers with a receiver rated higher in watts then the speakers (1 Viewer)

K-dogg

Auditioning
Real Name
Karim
I have a Sony receiver (I require no advice on that lol) that states an output power per channel of 145 watts (not entirely accurate I suppose). Most satellite speakers I've looked at in my $$ range don't go that high, the highest being around 120-130. Is that ok? Any satellites out there that are rated that high? Am I a fool for asking this question? I'm kinda new to this stuff (previous owner of a htib). Don't have lots of $$$$ to spend. Thank you all :)

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
The accuracy of the specs is usually highly suspect anyway. It is better to have too much clean power than not enough and start sending distortion to the speakers - and at those levels usually your ears will start to bleed before the speakers give out.

A good article on the subject can be found here: http://www.axiomaudio.com/power

"The lesson in all this is that you can never have too much power, and that big amplifiers rarely damage speakers. Little amplifiers driven into clipping burn out speakers. In the scheme of high fidelity, that last barrier to realism is having enough power and being able to approximate real-life loudness levels."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks