Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What About Monitors?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 02:47 PM

I'm finally embarking on the task of scanning any of my film photography that I want to archive and/or print.  Before I really got going, I realized I need a better monitor(s).  It kind of surprises me that monitors don't seem to be much of a topic here.  After considering my priorities, I got a Dell U2412 and was so impressed with it, I decided to also try the U2410.  I'm curious what others here are using.  I'll just say, if you are dealing with images without a monitor of this caliber, you are making a big mistake.

The U2410 just arrived and I only hooked it up a few minutes ago.  Very impressive.  I got it for $360, it is 1980x1200 and displays 1.07 billion colors.  In the range of 96-98% of Adobe RGB gamut.  Reviews all seem to complain about dithering, but that was cured with a subsequent FW update.

What are others using?

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 02:49 PM

I will add, both these monitors are insanely bright.  I ended up with the 2412 brightness set to 12 and right now I have the 2410 set to 0.  Yeah, 0.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,663 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 22 2013 - 05:26 PM

John,

Those Dell monitors get excellent reviews for photo editing. I am using a Samsung SyncMaster P2250 monitor that I have been very happy with, but once this monitor (or the cheap monitor on my wife's PC) needs to be replaced I plan on getting a Dell. I calibrate using the Spyder Express 3 calibration tool.

Edited by Scott Merryfield, May 22 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 03:46 PM

I've had a day with the Dell U2410 and if you've read complaints online, it is definitely a little quirky.  I have it connected to a 2012 Mac Mini Quad Core and at first used an HDMI to DVI cable.  The colors were calibrating well, but the brightness was blistering.  I ended up with the brightness set to 0 and contrast at 45, which is very odd.  Also, it never went to sleep, which is a major problem.  It would just show a menu saying no DVI cable was connected.  Others have had the same problem and Dell flatly refuses to address any problems from a customer using a Mac.  So, I tried an HDMI to HDMI cable, but with it the colors were clearly wonky.  The monitor would go to sleep but I didn't even want to deal with the color issues.  So, I figured a Mini DisplayPort to DisplaPort cable was my best bet.  The base colors are clearly better and it now goes to sleep.  One remaining weird thing is that the computer won't wake back up when I hit a key on the keyboard, like it did before.  Part of the problem might be because I have the keyboard connected to a hub rather than directly to the computer.  It's better not to do that, but it had been working.  Tapping the power button works, though.

I hope this monitor is worth all the hassle.

The Hybrid System

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 03:53 PM

One more thing I've discovered about the Dell U2410 is that you NEVER want to judge an image or calibrate it after it has been off or asleep.  It does NOT have LED backlighting and it takes at least 10 minutes to warm up.  I'm kind of amazed how much the color shifts in that time.

The Hybrid System

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users