Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

A few words about...™ Cleopatra (1963) - U.S. Release -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#161 of 181 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,110 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 22 2013 - 11:45 AM

Didn't know that...too bad all around as Monroe was at the top of her 'game' at that time. Lee Remick was also great in her own way...

But instead of Lee Remick we got Doris Day and James Gardner.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#162 of 181 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,776 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 22 2013 - 12:17 PM

But instead of Lee Remick we got Doris Day and James Gardner.

I know you meant Garner.

I quite like Move Over, Darling, and I think Doris was much more comfortable in a comedy like this than Lee Remick.

#163 of 181 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,110 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 22 2013 - 01:26 PM

I know you meant Garner.

I quite like Move Over, Darling, and I think Doris was much more comfortable in a comedy like this than Lee Remick.

You are quite right and MOVE OVER DARLING is one of my favorites. Polly Bergen, Chuck Conners, Don Knotts, Fred Clark and the great Thelma Ritter made up a great cast.

I guess I'm one of a select few that enjoys the scope and elegance of both acts of CLEOPATRA.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#164 of 181 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted August 22 2013 - 04:31 PM

Anthonys fall from grace hits you in the gut. His  charge on horse toward the army is full of fury. Alex North delievers the moment.

Edited by trajan, August 23 2013 - 02:51 AM.

#165 of 181 OFFLINE   moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor

• 633 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted August 22 2013 - 08:08 PM

I still can't watch my copy. It won't play in my Blu-ray player. :(

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#166 of 181 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,665 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted August 22 2013 - 08:23 PM

POPULAR

.I guess I'm one of a select few that enjoys the scope and elegance of both acts of CLEOPATRA.

While the very slight letdown in Act II was evident when watching it at the theater a few months ago, I remained entranced -- as did the audience around me -- with the whole affair, right to the end.  And boy, the ending is worth the trip.  

Shortly thereafter, with the BD finally in my hands, I watched that great documentary again, marveling more than ever that with everything conspiring against it, the film is such a stunner.  I welcome its imperfections.

#167 of 181 OFFLINE   moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor

• 633 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted August 22 2013 - 08:31 PM

I sent for a replacement copy..same issue. It's the only br that doesn't play in my player.

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#168 of 181 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,110 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 22 2013 - 09:50 PM

I sent for a replacement copy..same issue. It's the only br that doesn't play in my player.

Sounds like you need to update the firmware for the player. I have to check every six months or so and the only problems I have had were with Fox Blu-rays.

#169 of 181 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,776 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 23 2013 - 04:12 AM

Sounds like you need to update the firmware for the player. I have to check every six months or so and the only problems I have had were with Fox Blu-rays.

Yes, their discs are heavily copy protected. It sometimes takes a minute or more for a disc to boot up in my Panasonic player.

#170 of 181 OFFLINE   Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Supporting Actor

• 569 posts

Posted August 23 2013 - 05:59 AM

Yes, their discs are heavily copy protected. It sometimes takes a minute or more for a disc to boot up in my Panasonic player.

FOX discs are the only ones that I have trouble with...Can't play at all FRENCH KISS.  Pioneer 320 updated as well.

#171 of 181 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,274 posts

Posted August 23 2013 - 07:16 AM

I've realized that I don't care for Mankiewicz's films.  I appreciate the literate dialogue, and the wonderful acting, but for some reason his movies bore me.  With Cleopatra, the sumptuous visuals kept me going, but I'm not motivated to watch it again.

I've watched Eve twice now, and could barely make it to the end.

I was going to order the Three Letters BD, but now I'll try to watch it beforehand.

A Letter To Three Wives might not make you a Mankiewicz fan but it'll probably make you a Linda Darnell fan! The DVD is pretty good and should cost less than the BRD will.

#172 of 181 ONLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,780 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted August 23 2013 - 07:56 AM

.You are quite right and MOVE OVER DARLING is one of my favorites. Polly Bergen, Chuck Conners, Don Knotts, Fred Clark and the great Thelma Ritter made up a great cast.I guess I'm one of a select few that enjoys the scope and elegance of both acts of CLEOPATRA.

James Garner and Don Knotts were supposed to be co-stars with Monroe but she wanted Dean Martin and Wally Cox.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#173 of 181 OFFLINE   Panavision70

Panavision70

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted August 23 2013 - 09:44 AM

To spend $40 million to make a movie and have the movie make about $40 million at the box office is not a bomb or a hit. It's just survival.

#174 of 181 OFFLINE   Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 713 posts

Posted August 25 2013 - 03:44 PM

A Letter To Three Wives might not make you a Mankiewicz fan but it'll probably make you a Linda Darnell fan! The DVD is pretty good and should cost less than the BRD will.

No need.  I fell in love with her the first time I saw Fallen Angel!

#175 of 181 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,274 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 12:20 AM

No need.  I fell in love with her the first time I saw Fallen Angel!

If you loved her in Fallen Angel, you'll be fascinated by her in A Letter To Three Wives which is an essential movie for all Linda Darnell fans. I strongly advise you to watch it at least once.

#176 of 181 OFFLINE   Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 713 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 05:11 PM

If you loved her in Fallen Angel, you'll be fascinated by her in A Letter To Three Wives which is an essential movie for all Linda Darnell fans. I strongly advise you to watch it at least once.

Will do.  Thanks for the recommendation.

#177 of 181 OFFLINE   rdimucci

rdimucci

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted September 19 2013 - 05:39 PM

I would like to read a synopsis sometime of  the 6-hour film to see what was intended originally. 

You can find such a synopsis in this thread of the Film Score Monthly message board:

http://www.filmscore...mID=1&archive=0

See the first post dated January 24, 2013.

#178 of 181 OFFLINE   sonomatom1

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted June 06 2014 - 11:27 AM

RBlenheim: wow! I am a fan of 'Khartoum' but to say that it should have gone to the head of the line in front of 'Cleopatra' is a truly baffling statement. People may complain that 'Cleopatra' is too 'talky', but compared to the gabfest that was 'Khartoum', "Cleopatra' really hums along. Beyond that, the sheer wood-and-plaster spectacle that were the sets of 'Cleopatra' was a testament to the artistry of the set designers/builders of the time - or any time! - and it is something we will never see again.

And while I consider myself pretty literate (boy, am I going out on a limb with this group! [color=rgb(255,0,0);];o)[/color] ) with respect to film lore, I've never heard of King Vidor's "The Crowd", so I wonder why it should have jumped in front of 'Cleopatra'. Sorry you didn't enjoy this great, lumbering masterpiece - and for what it is, 'Cleopatra' is a masterpiece.

#179 of 181 OFFLINE   Malcolm Bmoor

Malcolm Bmoor

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted June 06 2014 - 11:46 AM

The short way to start a war (pre-interval line from The Alamo) is by comparing favourite films, and it's worth noting that some recent poll somewhere has classed THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK as the greatest ever.

However, our opinions are of course formed by our experience and I can only suggest that Tom Martin would benefit from seeking out and seeing THE CROWD.  Regardless of lists of somebody's favourites it's a remarkable picture from 1924 and I've had the privilege of seeing it with live orchestra, as well as many times from video.  

There's no comparison with CLEOPATRA as their only similarity is that they're both films but, treading very gently here, allow me to venture that, in terms of cinema history, I believe it to be the greater achievement. 

And I'll further risk what happens after the interval in The Alamo by suggesting that you increase your knowledge of film history with a few more of the important Silent Era pictures - not as a penance but as a source of considerable pleasure. Another King Vidor one, THE BIG PARADE, is an appropriate suggestion for D Day.

Malcolm Blackmoor

#180 of 181 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,698 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 06 2014 - 11:54 AM

"The Crowd" is generally regarded as one the best films King Vidor ever made and one of the greatest of all silent films.   It was among the first 25 films added to the United States National Film Registry back in 1989.  While there's lots to admire about "Cleopatra", "The Crowd" is a masterpiece.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users