Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

XBOX One Revealed

Xbox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#21 of 126 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,078 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted May 22 2013 - 06:26 AM

I read it somewhere yesterday that it was gone, will see if I can find it.

Anyway, the backlash is building:

http://www.extremete...nceivable-level

http://penny-arcade....new-motion-sens

http://arstechnica.c...losing-nothing/

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#22 of 126 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,078 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 08:01 AM

Yup:

xboxone_gamepad.JPG

#23 of 126 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,078 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 08:07 AM

Fing ponderous, man....

http://www.eurogamer...ine-in-xbox-one

http://www.gamasutra...o_stop_time.php

http://kotaku.com/xb...lay-o-509164109

#24 of 126 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,735 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 09:34 AM

I guess the non-backward compatability is no surprise.  I figured as much.   I was very glad to hear Microsoft will continue to support the 360, and I will continue to support them as well. 

Edited by Bryan^H, May 22 2013 - 09:34 AM.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#25 of 126 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 10:01 AM

It appears "used games" and "borrowed games" remain in a strict literal sense only. The entire paradigm of trading in and reselling games as well as swapping games with your friends as it stands right now is over. 

Rentals are fucked.

Edited by Hanson, May 22 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#26 of 126 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,078 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 10:30 AM

This appears to be 100% pure dumb:

http://www.polygon.c...ish-on-xbox-one

good analysis:

Sony’s approach (especially when combined with a beefier GPU) is exactly what you’d build if you wanted to give game developers the fastest hardware. Microsoft’s approach on the other hand looks a little more broad. The Xbox One still gives game developers a significant performance boost over the previous generation, but also attempts to widen the audience for the console. It’s a risky strategy for sure, especially given the similarities in the underlying architectures between the Xbox One and PS4. If the market for high-end game consoles has already hit its peak, then Microsoft’s approach is likely the right one from a business standpoint. If the market for dedicated high-end game consoles hasn’t peaked however, Microsoft will have to rely even more on the Kinect experience, TV integration and its exclusive franchises to compete.

http://www.anandtech...o-playstation-4

#27 of 126 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 22 2013 - 12:04 PM

If the reports are true that "used" games will need to be activated at full MSRP, and rentals are out, then all Sony has to do is back off that angle and this will be the most one-sided console "war" in history.

Whether Sony actually has the cojones to do so remains to be seen. . .

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#28 of 126 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 12:10 PM

I'm pretty sure the leaks about always on and no used games were accurate and that was their original intent, but MS had to back off when everyone went apeshit and Sony declared that there would be used games and borrowed games on the PS4. 

Pretty obnoxious of them to act like people are crazy for thinking they would ever get rid of used and borrowed games when in fact they're changing the very nature of these terms to effectively get rid of used and borrowed games. 

If Sony keeps the status quo on these features (including the ability to rent games), XBox One is cooked. Especially if they can allow users to play their old PS3 games over the network, which effectively gives them the backwards compatibility that XB1 dropped. 

Edited by Hanson, May 22 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#29 of 126 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,193 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 02:12 PM

The dumb thing about the used games thing where you have to pay a fee is that a certain portion of a new game's price is for the overhead to make a disc, put it in a box, and get it on a store's shelves.  Sony at least has a lot of downloadable games (not so much for big ones on PS3, but a lot on Vita) for 10% off the MSRPs.  Hopefully, that continues.

The non-gaming features are neat, but let's be honest, how many non-gamers who never owned an Xbox are going to buy an Xbox One for it's non-gaming features?  I also think that, the TV functionality aside, the PS4 will be better for media and entertainment because that was and is the case for the PS3.  In nearly every metric, the PS3 is hands down the better console; the 360 sold better in America (and only in America, I believe) because it had timed-exclusive Call of Duty maps, which looks to continue on the One.

mattCR - My comment about the Wii U having the same functions for TV as the Xbox One are in regards to the fact that the One lets you control your TV, search through guides, see updates on scores for games, and interact with people live during TV shows...all of which are already on the Wii U.  It's not powerful enough to do all the stuff the One does, but it's also a lot cheaper than the One will be and is already available.  And if you think the Wii U has a problem because some carriers don't support it, then you should know that MS said the One's TV functions are not solidified yet and aren't set for anywhere outside of the US.

DaveF - The Xbox One has an HDMI in, HDMI out, and an IR transmitter out.  The IR transmitter controls your cable box.  The cable box HDMI goes into the One, then the One's HDMI out goes to the TV.  Your TV video signal just goes through the One, nothing more.

Parker - Like I said, the One controls your cable box or DVR, but does not take a TV signal in through anything besides the HDMI.

#30 of 126 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,303 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 22 2013 - 04:24 PM

Discs schmiscs! Can I buy games online? I'm living in a post-iPhone world. I don't need a collection of discs and cases taking up space. Especially if I can't borrow or resell them.

I think most of the grumbling in the articles Sam linked to are missing the obvious. It's new game console. It will play new games that look better than the last set of games. Gamers will buy it. So why waste time talking about it? MS pitched the other stuff to try and get everyone else interested. We'll find out if this is successful.

The weakness is that they didn't explain the new stuff enough.

#31 of 126 OFFLINE   DavidMiller

DavidMiller

Extra

• 18 posts
  • LocationKirkland, Wa

Posted May 22 2013 - 04:24 PM

I believe they showed a couple to keep you going until E3 which is two weeks away. I would not be surprised to see 5-6 more exclusives (they stated 15 in the first year). They also stated 8 new franchises i.e. the new one being launched from 343. I'm pretty excited overall the only part I was puzzled by 500GB hard-drive, it must auto remove games you haven't played in awhile. I have 350+ Xbox 360 titles I own over the years so  I'm sure I can burn 500GB in a couple months. Why no cable card slot? To be clear I don't care about backward compatibility I have 2 360's that should last me awhile. 

#32 of 126 OFFLINE   Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

• 770 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 07:17 PM

Having seen the launch event and covered E3 along with other shows like this many times prior, I can tell you there are still more details to be hashed out.

First, from what I heard is you can "lend" a game to a friend using your physical media, but it will require a fee to play. There is going to be 2 levels, one a short term rental said to be the cheapest priced, then an "extended play" rental that will be more, at least 30+days. It remains unclear if there will be an option to "unlock" the disc at full MSRP on the hard drive, but talk is that will be an option for unlimited play without expiration.

Second, the Hard Drive IS replaceable, but only if the unit is sent into Microsoft for repair. You can not just buy a replacement and DIY.

Third, the Hard Drive will be "tied to the serial number of the XBox One" much like DirecTV does making drive replacement and content impossible to duplicate or get to. Hence the HD issues will only be servicable by Microsoft.

Fourth, it's a misconcption that only way to control your live TV content will be using the IR port and a blaster on the back of XBox One. That will be used for unsupported devices, but Microsoft hopes to have cable and satellite apps for the main devices in place. These will be very much like the apps now seen on our smartphones, like the DirecTV app for the iPhone, Comcast, Time Warner, etc.

Fifth, the always on refers to how the system will constantly update games, content and user accounts, "even when not turned on". This is done to "speed up and smooth out the experience instead of manually doing it or waiting". So, a high-speed internet connection is REQUIRED, but not for single player games or "known owned content". Not sure what they mean still, others were confused and could not pin them down too.

While I was able to get some details about no XBLA content on the XBox One, they did say that "doesn't mean you won't be able to get those same games again." In other words, most of the major and best selling XBLA games will be easily ported over. You will have to buy them over again if you want them on your XBox One, which is another reason those companies are not upset. It's seen as another chance to earn more money and help their business by selling you those games on another platform.

#33 of 126 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,053 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted May 22 2013 - 07:32 PM

One of the biggest benefits.. and detriments is going to be that the system has a Win8 core an x86 processor.  Which means people developing games for the PC or Console will have a VERY easy time porting them back and forth, which is going to make it instantly attractive to a lot of people to develop for. 

What this really does is make the WiiU the odd man out; it's not just different, but the PS4 and XBOXOne are both x86, and the WiiU will be the last PowerPC device; which means development for it will now have an even greater perceived cost; if you develop for the PS4 / XBOX / PC, you're on the same operating instructions (x86) and you only have to worry about the tweaks each system offers as an OS with a few minor differences in hardware since both have bluray, 8 core processor, etc.. but develop for the Wii is a different animal..

As far as WiiU TV controlling your cable box, etc. so far, that experience is garbage; which means it doesn't work at all for me, and it doesn't work at all for most WiiU owners.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#34 of 126 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,078 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 05:43 AM

Inevitable conclusion:

xZ8n1xn.png

• Stephen_J_H likes this

#35 of 126 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,053 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 06:03 AM

Sam-

That is the most accurate conclusion.   Like I said, I wont' use the HDMI pass through, don't care about those functions.. but I'll still buy for the games.

I will openly admit, if this is as they say and rental games are no more, then this will go to the back of the line and I will buy the PS4 first, but I'll get to it

trakt.tv

#36 of 126 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,078 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 08:09 AM

More on that Matt:

http://penny-arcade....et-could-be-the

Here's where I stand:

-I will never ever buy a disk again to use as a disk for any game system.  I might buy a disk at retail if that gets me a free downloadable copy that is cheaper than buying directly on the marketplace, but I would then put the code in and never use the disk.  It would stay on a shelf not get resold because....

-I don't resell my games.  I buy stuff to keep

-I don't buy used.

-I don't rent

-I don't pay full retail.  If a game is X I'll wait till I can get it at .75 * X before i buy it except for maybe 3 games a year.  If I can preorder for a retail discount I'm down for that.

-I think used games are bad for developers, but so are locked in high prices.  I much prefer Steam's sliding price that goes down the vast majority of the time soon after launch date.

-I'm cool with other people buying and selling used games but I'm not going to champion their 'right' to buy and sell used

-I hate gamestop and their shitty pawnshop mentality so the sooner they die the better IMO

-I think that rental is valuable to people only until the $60 price point is killed.  Make games more affordable and rental is dead.  I sympathize with those who rent but I feel that they aren't helping the developers the way buyers do.

That probably makes me an outlier and I'm ok with that.  The sooner we move past disks for game systems thee better IMO.

I still like disks for blockbuster movies.  I'm ok with digital downloads and streams for movies and TV that don't require ultimate precision.

Do I contradict myself?  Very well then I contradict myself.  i am large, i contain multitudes.  =)

#37 of 126 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 23 2013 - 08:11 AM

System wise, I have to say that the Xbox1 seems more impressive then the PS4. the PS4 looks like a better PS3 where as the Xbox1 looks like an actual boost to a next generation with all those TV feature and what not.

That said, at the end of the day I wont be getting either until it's well into the first year of the cycle. Sony continues to give me plenty of free content to play on my PS3 that wont work on the PS4 so I got lots of games to keep me busy.

#38 of 126 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,053 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 08:32 AM

Sam, I get it.. I mean, I favor discs for movies, because streams.. no matter how good are still compressed in comparison to the disk and often less features I want (like HD Audio, extras, etc.)

In regards to games.. at the current pricing structure, I need the disc to try something out -first-.   It's a big investment at $60 a game new to decide to take a gamble, no matter how good the franchise has been; so a day or two using RedBox etc. can normally give me an idea of "buy or not", once I've bought it, I almost never sell.

I've said repeatedly: if they decide to end used games/etc. then I'm fine.. as long as the caveat to that is that games start out at a lower price point... if you were to tell me: no more used games; but new games are $15 cheaper as a result, fine.

There has been some clarification about that now, though.. you can apparently sell the games used, it's just before you do you must deactivate it and delete it from the original XBOX.   If it's still active or installed there, the game will demand full freight to install on a new system.

The hitch in that is going to be for households that keep multiple XBOXs for different rooms/etc.  I'm hoping XBOX family gold accounts sort that issue out

trakt.tv

#39 of 126 OFFLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,268 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 08:53 AM

Here's my thoughts and opinions on the matter.  I am a hardcore gamer who has been at it since the days of the Atari 2600.

- I love packaged media!  I love having a physical product to hold and look at. 

- I don't mind downloadable content, I have a ton of it, but if a physical copy exists, I will gravitate toward that option.

-  I only buy new.  I have never, nor will I most likely ever, buy used.  I keep my games, I don't ever re-sell them.  I like having the option to always come back at any point and play the game again.

- I don't like having to delete stuff off of the hard drive, so the non-upgradeable hard drive is a deal breaker for me.

- I don't mind paying full retail for games, if they are good enough to want on release day.

- I have zero interest in using the console for anything other than games / blu-ray.  Social Media, TV, Sports, Cable, Cooking, Doing Chores, etc, I will never use any console for. 

- I hate the idea of always online.  I don't want the system doing automatic things, updates, etc.  I want to have control over what data goes on (and off!) the machine.

- Kinect required is ridiculous.  My game consoles are in my home theater room which is completely light controlled and blacked out, rendering the Kinect pretty much useless.  Kinect required means that the console simply just won't operate in my environment.

I guess I am stuck in my 'old' ways, not willing to 'move forward with technology'.  I have no problem really with moving forward, it's just that what I currently see just doesn't support the view that any of this will work.

I have a very good internet connection, and I constantly see lag / stutters / outages with online gaming / streaming.  If they can't get this to work smoothly / properly with the current generation, how in the world are they going to make it work with next generation that requires even more data / bandwidth.

I am a videophile, and the idea of online vs. physical content just makes my stomach churn.  I can pop in a physical disc, get instant highest quality with no errors, or I can stream content, get significantly less quality, wait for buffering, come to a dead stop in the middle of the action because of latency, etc.  Gee which option sounds better?

Overall, I have seen nothing that makes me want to upgrade to these next gen machines, and plenty that turns me off about them.  I am completely happy with the quality of what is coming out for the current gen, and have such a huge backlog of content, that I will be able to keep playing for at least another year if they stopped support today.

I think there is a significant portion of the audience that shares my views, but weather or not that is big enough for them to be concerned is still unknown.

-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#40 of 126 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,590 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 10:24 AM

I understand that many people would be unaffected by the no rental / no used market decision (I am one of them) but there is one more thing that brings: no borrowing either.  And that includes within the family too just like PC games.  As far as I know, right now you don't have to buy a separate Call of Duty for each member of the family.  So imagine if that was applied to movies.  Movie is locked to a single blu-ray player unless your player is internet active 24/7 and you log in every time you switch players from your HT to the living room TV to the bedroom TV and you cannot let your friends / family borrow one of your movies or TV series or vice versa.  The no rental / no used games is simply a manifestation of the "You are only buying the right for you the individual to play / watch, not the physical disc".  Each member of the family must buy their own "rights" separately.  Bringing the true theater experience right to your home.  You know, like having to pay for each member of the family to view a movie.

• ChristopherG likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Xbox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users