What's new

Ps3 decoding to receiver (1 Viewer)

AlphaPie

Agent
Real Name
Lucax
So I've set my play station 3 to bitstream from linear PCM which now has the receiver claiming its running dts-hd master (for this particular movie). My question is, is my ps3 decoding or processing the audio at all or is it sending it to my receiver to decode and process, like I want it to? I just want the best audio I can get out of the ps3 and receiver (denon 1913).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only difference between your "source"(in your case the PS3) doing the decoding...vs the AVR doing the decoding...

The AVR gets to turn on a bunch of cool lights.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

AlphaPie

Agent
Real Name
Lucax

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Two man saw....

There is one job...

You can either be on the left side doing the job...or on the right side doing the job.

Either way...the job is done.

But in reference to a PS3 vs a mid range Denon doing the decoding...it is probably a tie.

IF this were an Oppo...I'd let the Oppo do it. If this were a PS3 and a AVR4520, the 4520 would be doing it. If I had both the Oppo and 4520...it would be a draw.

AlphaPie

Agent
Real Name
Lucax
Phil A said:
Which PS3 model? The original fat ones had a chip which would only decode in the PS3.
I'm not sure I'm out of town at the moment it's not flat.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
It was a function of the older chip set that did things that way. There are things that the older one can do, especially if the firmware is version 3.55 or less, which is many moons ago and currently (it is being worked on/tried) there is no way to roll firmware back on the units.

AlphaPie

Agent
Real Name
Lucax
I have the top ps3 in that picture, so the newer one. I'd get a dedicated bluray player but from what I've looked at to get any really performance increase past the ps3 id have to pay $500+

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
AlphaPie said:
I have the top ps3 in that picture, so the newer one. I'd get a dedicated bluray player but from what I've looked at to get any really performance increase past the ps3 id have to pay $500+
I have not seen the PS3 slim in action other than in stores. I can tell you that the video quality of the PS3 model I have is nothing special. The machine does a lot of things vs. other hardware you can buy, but it doesn't impress me as a Blu-Ray player. Yes, something like an Oppo costs $500. It does not play games but has other features (and I guess value depends on whether you have use for them). When I decided to swap the Oppo BDP-93 from the bedroom system to the basement system (where I had the PS3 as I started using the basement more for HT and I only watch about 10-15 movies/year in the bedroom system), I was shocked by the difference in video quality.

AlphaPie

Agent
Real Name
Lucax
Phil A said:
I have not seen the PS3 slim in action other than in stores. I can tell you that the video quality of the PS3 model I have is nothing special. The machine does a lot of things vs. other hardware you can buy, but it doesn't impress me as a Blu-Ray player. Yes, something like an Oppo costs $500. It does not play games but has other features (and I guess value depends on whether you have use for them). When I decided to swap the Oppo BDP-93 from the bedroom system to the basement system (where I had the PS3 as I started using the basement more for HT and I only watch about 10-15 movies/year in the bedroom system), I was shocked by the difference in video quality.
We haven't used it for games in years. Just blu rays and Netflix/Hulu. Can you give me a few suggestions for a starting point $300 and bellow?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
AlphaPie said:
We haven't used it for games in years. Just blu rays and Netflix/Hulu. Can you give me a few suggestions for a starting point $300 and bellow?
I'd look here - http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players-reviews.html They generally do good reviews. I like Oppo players but they are more than $300 and they do things that some may not need or want like SACD or DVD-A. I have not followed Netflix players but thought at one point the PS3 was capable of getting surround sound. I am not sure how many do that. Many Blu-Ray players can do Netflix and Hulu. I am not in the market at the moment for a new player (moving in under a year) so I have not looked. I had the opportunity to hear (but not see) the Oppo 105 on audio (it was hooked up to an audio only system) and it is quite good as an SACD player and a DAC at its price point, though not cheap, Oppo tends to be geared towards the person into video but also into audio.

AlphaPie

Agent
Real Name
Lucax
Just to clarify, when my ps3 is set to linear PCM and my receiver says multi channel in I'm getting pretty much 5 speaker stereo. Ps3 set to bitstream and my receiver says dts-HD ma I'm getting an actual 5.1 surround experience?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If your PS3 is set(I don't own one, just guessing from the "setup" of every other DVD/BD player I've ever had) up to decode, yes you are getting the same 5.1.

IF, like some DVD/BD players there is "audio setup" beyond just "decoding lossless"(and I assume there is since it does playback SACD)...you have to also tell it how many speakers you got. So you also(I'm guessing, cause I don't have one) have to tell the PS3 there is a subwoofer involved.

But, once proper setup in the PS3(whatever it entails) and your AVR1913 are done...

lossless via the PS3=Lossless via AVR1913

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
FoxyMulder said:
Of course as you already know the Lexicon is just a re-badged Oppo.
Yes I know that. Although there is a difference...output stage, more robust connections...something. (no I don't remember what exactly)

But yes it is 99% nothing more than the Oppo.

AlphaPie

Agent
Real Name
Lucax
I wonder if I choose to tell the ps3 to do my decoding can my avr still use its dynamic volume and dynamic eq since its not really in control.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks