Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Silver Linings Playbook -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted May 18 2013 - 07:15 AM

One of my three favorite films of 2012, and I hold them all at the same level.

David O. Russell's Silver Linings Playbook is one of those supremely character-driven films that will grab you virtually from frame one.  While he's been around since the '80s, working in various production capacities, he really didn't come to the fore until Flirting with Disaster (1996).

Since then, it was two films in five years (Three Kings - 1999 and I Heart Huckabees - 2004), and then came The Fighter (2010), which, almost as if he'd just arrived on the scene, brought his work to heart of public attention (and awards).

Now, he's quickly up the ante with Silver Linings Playbook.

Technically, as another 2k DI, it should be a perfect Blu-ray, and it doesn't disappoint.

For those who haven't yet seen this film, it's available from the Weinstein Company, as distributed via Anchor Bay.

One question, for those who haven't yet availed themselves of this film's pleasure.

Why not?

Silver Linings Playbook should be in every serious Blu-ray library.

For those looking to the future American Hustle is coming, with a planned release date of Christmas of this year.  Cast sounds interesting:  Jennifer Lawrence (that archery picture), Bradley Cooper (Wedding Crashers), Jeremy Renner (28 Weeks Later), Christian Bale (Newsies), Amy Adams (Psycho Beach Party) and Robert De Niro (Greetings).  Can't wait for the Holidays to arrive.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted May 18 2013 - 07:42 AM

I loved this film but I will admit I think Mr. Russell has just made one excellent film after another. I would have given best picture to this and The Master as they were far and away the two best American films of last year...well, in my mind anyway. From top to bottom everything about Silver Linings Playbook is outstanding...the writing, acting, direction, casting, photography, music, it all works together to create a film that is funny, dramatic, playful, wildly entertaining and actually has some things to say. Add to this actually getting a real performance out of DeNiro...who sadly has mailed a lot of them in over the last decade or so...and how this film would not top a lot of lists is beyond me. 

I too am very excited to see American Hustle which looks like the odds on favorite for my favorite film of this year. I keep hoping that his success will lead to Russell maybe finishing Nailed even though at this point he seems to have disowned it. Shame that such a talented director has a practically finished film sitting in a can on a shelf collecting dust. 

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted May 18 2013 - 07:48 AM

I loved this film but I will admit I think Mr. Russell has just made one excellent film after another. I would have given best picture to this and The Master as they were far and away the two best American films of last year...well, in my mind anyway. From top to bottom everything about Silver Linings Playbook is outstanding...the writing, acting, direction, casting, photography, music, it all works together to create a film that is funny, dramatic, playful, wildly entertaining and actually has some things to say. Add to this actually getting a real performance out of DeNiro...who sadly has mailed a lot of them in over the last decade or so...and how this film would not top a lot of lists is beyond me. 

I too am very excited to see American Hustle which looks like the odds on favorite for my favorite film of this year. I keep hoping that his success will lead to Russell maybe finishing Nailed even though at this point he seems to have disowned it. Shame that such a talented director has a practically finished film sitting in a can on a shelf collecting dust. 

If you can find a copy, the screenplay is worth a read on its own.  Or for that matter the novel, which I've not yet had a chance to read.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted May 18 2013 - 11:58 AM

This one's sitting here from Netflix. Interested in it a bit beyond its reputation as I work in the mental health field. Wonder if I can get paid for a day's work for watching it?

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   sidburyjr

sidburyjr

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts
  • LocationMount Pleasant, SC

Posted May 18 2013 - 07:53 PM

One of my three favorite films of 2012, and I hold them all at the same level.

Come on.  You can't leave it hanging out there like that.  What are the other two films of 2012?

For me personally, I liked it a lot and would put it equal third with several other films behind Moonrise Kingdom and Argo.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users