What's new

Scream Factory to release "Prince of Darkness" (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
***BREAKING NEWS!***Since we started this week with a John Carpenter film announcement (Body Bags) it is fitting with end it with another...The master's 1987 cult classic PRINCE OF DARKNESS - our #1 most requested title - will be coming this fall and presented as a Collector's Edition on DVD and Blu-ray!We have no more details to report at this time (i.e. street date, extras, etc.) but will reveal more in the next few months. Have a great weekend!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I wonder how many requests Shout! gets for a 2-disc The Thing these days?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Basically it seems any John Carpenter film on blu-ray is a slam dunk. I think horror film aficionados are the most avid collectors and these films will sell at a brisk pace. Christine which I find to be one of Carpenter's weaker films sold out in the blink of an eye for Twilight and so it is obvious demand is high for his films.

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
This might be my second favorite Carpenter film and the DVD, although perfectly watchable, can be greatly improved (or so I hope; maybe the visual limitations are intentional or inherent to the way they shot it).

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1988) and IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS (1995) are Carpenter's best films.

1 more to go.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yes I agree with that too, the Fog isnt too far behind though..
I get the feeling we might get Village of the Damned from Scream too
If Vampires wasnt with Sony Id call that one a shoe in as well...
Someone(s) at SF loves them Carpenter films !:)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Richard--W said:
PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1988) and IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS (1995) are Carpenter's best films.

1 more to go.
Lord Dalek said:
HALLOWEEN (1978) and THE THING (1982) are Carpenter's best films.
I agree completely.

Hey.

Put that back the way I had it.

How would you like it if I started rewriting your posts?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
In the Mouth of Madness has the distinction of being Carpenter's last great film. Following that film his projects never reached the level of the work from his prime (Dark Star through In the Mouth of Madness). Although I'd say The Ward is probably the best thing he has done since In the Mouth of Madness. He always wanted to direct a western and he probably would have made a really good one if he ever got the chance.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Things are definitely looking good for JC fans, of almost getting his work in HD, but I think the hold outs would be the two WB titles Memoirs of an Invisible Man and Someone's Watching Me! , unless they went Archive Collection which I would personally be ok with.

With the exception of the things he did for Masters of Horror and The Ward, he has pretty much gone into semi-retirement. But the discussion of what would definitely be a passion project, The John Carpenter Western. I would love to see what he has discussed in interviews finally brought to life. Given the right script, right location, right budget, IMO we would get something that would be between The Wild Bunch and Shane, because Carpenter likes the single antagonist. Here’s hoping we hear that Shout can pick up a another title.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Carpenter may like the single antagonist, but the western he wanted to make was about the Bender family, immigrants who were serial killers in frontier Kansas. Not a lot is known about them, but sufficient documentation survives to build a general outline of their killings. They fled Kansas just as they were about to be discovered and were never apprehended. As history their story is a real bummer. Such a bummer I'm surprised Carpenter couldn't get it financed.

Reggie W said:
In the Mouth of Madness has the distinction of being Carpenter's last great film. Following that film his projects never reached the level of the work from his prime (Dark Star through In the Mouth of Madness). Although I'd say The Ward is probably the best thing he has done since In the Mouth of Madness. He always wanted to direct a western and he probably would have made a really good one if he ever got the chance.

I agree In the Mouth of Madness is his last great film. Personally I wish he'd put the horror genre behind him and start making westerns exclusively, but not horror westerns. His earliest influences were the westerns of Howard Hawks and other directors who specialized in the genre. You can see the influence in all his work. I think he'd find in the genre the inspiration that he's been lacking lately. If anyone can take the western to a place it hasn't gone before, Carpenter can. I said as much on the forum he used to have up and which he participated in. Then the forum went offline, some time went by, and he gives an interview about a planned western that sounded similar to my post.

But I think he has the same trouble getting western projects financed that everybody else does -- the studios and networks just say NO to westerns, period.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Richard--W said:
Carpenter may like the single antagonist, but the western he wanted to make was about the Bender family, immigrants who were serial killers in frontier Kansas. Not a lot is known about them, but sufficient documentation survives to build a general outline of their killings. They fled Kansas just as they were about to be discovered and were never apprehended. As history their story is a real bummer. Such a bummer I'm surprised Carpenter couldn't get it financed.

I agree In the Mouth of Madness is his last great film. Personally I wish he'd put the horror genre behind him and start making westerns exclusively, but not horror westerns. His earliest influences were the westerns of Howard Hawks and other directors who specialized in the genre. You can see the influence in all his work. I think he'd find in the genre the inspiration that he's been lacking lately. If anyone can take the western to a place it hasn't gone before, Carpenter can. I said as much on the forum he used to have up and which he participated in. Then the forum went offline, some time went by, and he gives an interview about a planned western that sounded similar to my post.

But I think he has the same trouble getting western projects financed that everybody else does -- the studios and networks just say NO to westerns, period.
I had heard that it was to be a Gothic Western, its a damn shame that this hasn't happened yet, but then it is in a long list of films that should have but never happened, like Kubrick's Napoleon, Wells' Batman, maybe before he goes into retirement for good, something could happen, because I think there is a side to him that has not passed yet.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Noach Kowalski said:
***BREAKING NEWS!***Since we started this week with a John Carpenter film announcement (Body Bags) it is fitting with end it with another...The master's 1987 cult classic PRINCE OF DARKNESS - our #1 most requested title - will be coming this fall and presented as a Collector's Edition on DVD and Blu-ray!We have no more details to report at this time (i.e. street date, extras, etc.) but will reveal more in the next few months. Have a great weekend!
Great news please drop by to update us when the pre-order pages are live.

Thank You

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Richard--W said:
Personally I wish he'd put the horror genre behind him and start making westerns exclusively, but not horror westerns. His earliest influences were the westerns of Howard Hawks and other directors who specialized in the genre. You can see the influence in all his work. I think he'd find in the genre the inspiration that he's been lacking lately. If anyone can take the western to a place it hasn't gone before, Carpenter can. I said as much on the forum he used to have up and which he participated in. Then the forum went offline, some time went by, and he gives an interview about a planned western that sounded similar to my post.

Yes, Assault on Precinct 13 is most certainly a love letter to Hawks and Rio Bravo/El Dorado and I sort of feel Ghosts of Mars is in some ways Carpenter's "remake" of Assault on Precinct 13. There is little doubt that Ghosts of Mars is a "western in space" and carries over quite a bit from his earlier film. Sadly it is nowhere near as effective as Assault on Precinct 13.

I think you are correct though, Richard, the people that will finance a "John Carpenter film" want what he is known for...a horror film...and who is going to give an old horror director money to make a western...unless it is a "horror western" hybrid that can be sold as a horror film as much as a western.

Bottom line is I think if he ever was going to get to do a western it would have had to have been when he had some real pull. The Ward came and went with little fanfare and so I doubt anybody would back him now to make something in a genre he is not known for.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Sorry if I stray off topic here, but I'd like to pass along some information that I've acquired: from a post I made on Scream Factory's FB page, I've learned that Prince of Darkness is part of a new deal Shout/Scream has made with Universal!

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
***EXCLUSIVE KEY ART REVEAL***

Check out the official, spot-on and nightmarish new artwork for our upcoming Collector’s Edition of John Carpenter’s PRINCE OF DARKNESS, illustrated by artist Justin Osbourn. (As always, the original theatrical poster image will be on the flip-side for you purists to enjoy too.)

Street date is planned for 9/24 and pre-order links will be up soon at ScreamFactoryDVD.com where there will be an exclusive limited 18” x 24” poster offer with purchase. More details on extras will be announced later on this Summer.

0dzIa6g.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks