Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Onyko or Yamaha

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Jammers

Jammers

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted May 17 2013 - 06:47 AM

I've narrowed down the home theater systems that i'm looking to buy.  Of Onkyo or Yamaha which receiver speaker package home theater systems are the best?  I will buy the blu-ray player separately. 

Edited by Jammers, May 17 2013 - 06:47 AM.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,448 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted May 17 2013 - 07:02 AM

Either.

Onkyo makes the "worst" (3500) and the best (no question it is the best pre-package, the 9400thx)

Everything else is bookends between those two extremes.

Which Onkyo anyway? They've made at least 5 different ones a year for 6 years straight. You can still find X300 still NIB.

Which Yamaha? They make at least 3 each year. Tiger Direct just last month had NIB, their top version from 3 years ago.

Edited by schan1269, May 17 2013 - 07:06 AM.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted May 17 2013 - 07:06 AM

I have a Yamaha, they are very good, i think it might come down to your needs, both receivers will have plenty of connection options but i would ask you if you are you going to calibrate the audio yourself using an SPL meter and disc or if you are you going to rely on the inbuilt calibration features of the receiver, if so its a choice between Audyssey on the Onkyo or YPAO on the Yamaha, in my opinion both calibration systems are not perfect and tend to get the subwoofer settings wrong, indeed are you getting a subwoofer for your system.

Are you buying the receivers with a speaker package, if so please provide links and i can give a better opinion on each system.

:EDIT:  Oh you are going to buy one of those all in one packages, i would ask you to consider buying the receiver and speakers separately, you will benefit from better sound quality with less distortion at higher volume levels.

Edited by FoxyMulder, May 17 2013 - 07:08 AM.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   HelenG

HelenG

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted May 31 2013 - 09:09 AM

I currently have a Yamaha YSP-1000 and recently sold a Yamaha YSP-3000 and just purchased the Yamaha YHT-S401BL Blows them all away. After setting it up I was really impressed with the sound that comes from this little sound bar. I did consider a Bose Cinemate GS II but glad I went for the Yamaha. Voices are very clear, surround works and sounds great and good base and all can be tailored to your favorite listening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users