What's new

Onyko or Yamaha (1 Viewer)

Jammers

Agent
Real Name
Gary
I've narrowed down the home theater systems that i'm looking to buy. Of Onkyo or Yamaha which receiver speaker package home theater systems are the best? I will buy the blu-ray player separately.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Either. Onkyo makes the "worst" (3500) and the best (no question it is the best pre-package, the 9400thx)Everything else is bookends between those two extremes.Which Onkyo anyway? They've made at least 5 different ones a year for 6 years straight. You can still find X300 still NIB.Which Yamaha? They make at least 3 each year. Tiger Direct just last month had NIB, their top version from 3 years ago.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have a Yamaha, they are very good, i think it might come down to your needs, both receivers will have plenty of connection options but i would ask you if you are you going to calibrate the audio yourself using an SPL meter and disc or if you are you going to rely on the inbuilt calibration features of the receiver, if so its a choice between Audyssey on the Onkyo or YPAO on the Yamaha, in my opinion both calibration systems are not perfect and tend to get the subwoofer settings wrong, indeed are you getting a subwoofer for your system.

Are you buying the receivers with a speaker package, if so please provide links and i can give a better opinion on each system.

:EDIT: Oh you are going to buy one of those all in one packages, i would ask you to consider buying the receiver and speakers separately, you will benefit from better sound quality with less distortion at higher volume levels.

HelenG

Auditioning
Real Name
Helen Genes
I currently have a Yamaha YSP-1000 and recently sold a Yamaha YSP-3000 and just purchased the Yamaha YHT-S401BL Blows them all away. After setting it up I was really impressed with the sound that comes from this little sound bar. I did consider a Bose Cinemate GS II but glad I went for the Yamaha. Voices are very clear, surround works and sounds great and good base and all can be tailored to your favorite listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks