What's new

How Has CBS Really Done By Collectors (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I decided to do a some quick research and see how CBS has done so far with regard to their releases. I obtained these stats from info I got from the CBS syndication bible so please pardon me if there is a variation by a show or two or I missed one. These are the shows they claim to have the rights to, so if I'm wrong, you can blame them LOL. It shouldn't effect the %'s that much. What I did was figure up the total number of shows CBS has began and compared it to the number of classic shows they have completed, stalled, licensed, or completed, or "appear" to be in the progress of completing. The statistics I compiled are for all shows pre 90. Unreleased pre 60 shows like The Millionaire and Our Miss Brooks are not included. Here goes:

By my figuring, Out of the 56 shows CBS they own from 60-90, they have completed, licensed, or are in the progess of completing 42 shows (Andy Griffith, Becker, Bonanza, Bosom Buddies, Brady Bunch, Branded, Cannon, Car 54, Combat, Diagnosis Murder, Dynasty, Family Affair, Family Ties, Get Smart, Fugitive, Gomer Pyle, ZGUnsmoke, Guns Of Will Sonnett, Have Gun, Hawaii Five O, Hogan's Heroes, Honeymooners (ones available), I Love Lucy, Invaders, Laverne and Shirley, Grizzly Adams, Little House, Lucy Show, Macgyver, Mannix, Matlock, Mission Impossible, Odd Couple, Perry Mason, Rawhide, The Rebel (apparantly), Streets of San Fran, Taxi, Twin Peaks, Untouchables, Vegas, Webster, Wild Wild West.
Total = 43

Stalled - Barnaby, Hillbillies, Father Dowling, Happy Days, Hotel, Jake/Fatman, Love, American Style, Love Boat, Matt Houston, My 3 Sons, One Step Beyond, Petticoat, Bilko,
Total = 13
What this means is, in one way or another, CBS has made good (apparantly) at a 75% clilp. Now if, as one poster is indicating, the rural shows are imminantly coming out through CBS or licensed out, that % jumps to 79%. I also have a feeling that they aren't closing the book totally on a few of these other stalled ones.
I wont mince words, bottom line is that they have done pretty darn good.
PS - I did forget Mod Squad, but it looks like that will be 1 for 1, so it doesn't effect the %.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Several of those titles are ones they do not hold video distribution rights to and were released by other parties, "Get Smart", "Car 54 Where Are You?" and "Branded" they would only own broadcast syndication rights.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
rmw650 said:
Father Dowling isn't a stalled title as that was completed a few months ago, seeing there were only 3 seasons to the show so you might need to update your listings a little bit.
Thanks. I messed up on that one. Like I said, although it was only some quick figuring with an error or two, the point is pretty well proven

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I looked at my dvd list and here are the CBS sets that I have, the sets that I own, and my "grade" based on what's been released relative to my collection. I included Paramount releases in this list.

It doesn't include CBS properties that haven't seen any releases.

ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW 1 - 5 Stopped at S5
2s8lbms.jpg

BARNABY JONES 1 Want more
2z69sb4.jpg

BEVERLY HILLBILLIES 1-3 Stopped for now
2s8lbms.jpg

FATHER DOWLING MYSTERIES 1-3
2s8lbms.jpg

FUGITIVE 1-4
2s8lbms.jpg

INVADERS 1-2
2s8lbms.jpg

LOVE AMERICAN STYLE 1 Stop at S1
2s8lbms.jpg

LOVE BOAT 1-2 Want more
2z69sb4.jpg

MacGYVER 1-2 Stopped at 2
2s8lbms.jpg

MANNIX 1-8
2s8lbms.jpg

MATLOCK 1-8 (S9 coming)
2s8lbms.jpg

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE Orig & '88 - both complete
2s8lbms.jpg

PERRY MASON 1-8, 9 coming
2s8lbms.jpg

POLICE SQUAD 1
2s8lbms.jpg

RAWHIDE 1-6, will get 7
2s8lbms.jpg

SHOGUN MINISERIES
2s8lbms.jpg

STAR TREK TOS & ENTERPRISE complete
2s8lbms.jpg

TAXI 1-4
2s8lbms.jpg

UNTOUCHABLES 1-4
2s8lbms.jpg

VEGA$ 1-3
2s8lbms.jpg

WALKER TEXAS RANGER 1-8
2s8lbms.jpg

WILD WILD WEST 1-4
2s8lbms.jpg

WINDS OF WAR MINISERIES
2s8lbms.jpg

2s8lbms.jpg

2z69sb4.jpg

91% sucess rate for me.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
Several of those titles are ones they do not hold video distribution rights to and were released by other parties, "Get Smart", "Car 54 Where Are You?" and "Branded" they would only own broadcast syndication rights.
Not true. Both Branded and Guns of Will Sonnett wound up being owned by King World and King World eventually merged with Viacom or CBS or Paramount, can't remember which, so it is CBS. They licensed both out to Timeless but unfortunately only provided the old tape transfers from the 80s which were cut to 22 minutes.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Jeff Willis said:
I looked at my dvd list and here are the CBS sets that I have, the sets that I own, and my "grade" based on what's been released relative to my collection. I included Paramount releases in this list.

It doesn't include CBS properties that haven't seen any releases.

ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW 1 - 5 Stopped at S5
2s8lbms.jpg

BARNABY JONES 1 Want more
2z69sb4.jpg

BEVERLY HILLBILLIES 1-3 Stopped for now
2s8lbms.jpg

FATHER DOWLING MYSTERIES 1-3
2s8lbms.jpg

FUGITIVE 1-4
2s8lbms.jpg

INVADERS 1-2
2s8lbms.jpg

LOVE AMERICAN STYLE 1 Stop at S1
2s8lbms.jpg

LOVE BOAT 1-2 Want more
2z69sb4.jpg

MacGYVER 1-2 Stopped at 2
2s8lbms.jpg

MANNIX 1-8
2s8lbms.jpg

MATLOCK 1-8 (S9 coming)
2s8lbms.jpg

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE Orig & '88 - both complete
2s8lbms.jpg

PERRY MASON 1-8, 9 coming
2s8lbms.jpg

POLICE SQUAD 1
2s8lbms.jpg

RAWHIDE 1-6, will get 7
2s8lbms.jpg

SHOGUN MINISERIES
2s8lbms.jpg

STAR TREK TOS & ENTERPRISE complete
2s8lbms.jpg

TAXI 1-4
2s8lbms.jpg

UNTOUCHABLES 1-4
2s8lbms.jpg

VEGA$ 1-3
2s8lbms.jpg

WALKER TEXAS RANGER 1-8
2s8lbms.jpg

WILD WILD WEST 1-4
2s8lbms.jpg

WINDS OF WAR MINISERIES
2s8lbms.jpg

2s8lbms.jpg

2z69sb4.jpg

91% sucess rate for me.
That was pretty much my point entirely. I think because some of us sometimes get hung up on one title we want, we may lose track of how well a distributor has actually done with their releases as a whole. We all have different preferences and "grail" shows but for me if CBS would end up releasing or licensing the rural shows and finish up Happy Days, I would get them an A++ overall. I know, all you Love Boat fans hate me now, right? LOL

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
hypnohighball said:
From the titles on your list I'd really like to get more Barnaby Jones & Police Story. Stopping at Season 1 on both of those left me hangin' !
Especially seeing that Season One of Barnaby was basically a half season....

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
hypnohighball said:
From the titles on your list I'd really like to get more Barnaby Jones & Police Story. Stopping at Season 1 on both of those left me hangin' !
To my knowledge, Police Story isn't owned by CBS. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you were thinking of Police Squad

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
While I'm not thrilled that a couple of my favorites have been stalled (Love American Style, The Mod Squad, and Barnaby Jones) and will probably never get fisnished, I do have to give CBS a thumbs up for finishing Hawaii 5-O, The Streets of San Francisco, Vega$ and restoring The Fugitive to its original broadcast version.

The one thing that I do wish is that CBS would get the last few seasons of Dynasty released a bit faster and then get The Colbys out.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I wish CBS would go back and fix "The Odd Couple" which has as many episodes ruined as "The Fugitive" did.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Jack P said:
I wish CBS would go back and fix "The Odd Couple" which has as many episodes ruined as "The Fugitive" did.
Yeah, they really need to fix seasons 3-5. Some of their cuts were trully pointless. Again, they were just a bit over cautious with the music edits.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
If they're worried about sales numbers for classic TV shows, like most of the other major studios sadly seem to be these day, I'd suggest they go MOD and set a more realistic expectation so at least (provided nothing else is holding a title back) we'd get them that way.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
HenryDuBrow said:
If they're worried about sales numbers for classic TV shows, like most of the other major studios sadly seem to be these day, I'd suggest they go MOD and set a more realistic expectation so at least (provided nothing else is holding a title back) we'd get them that way.
My issue with the MOD stuff is that, other than Warner's, the other 3 majors don't really seem at all invested in the programs. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think CBS has done only 3 and they were well spaced out. Sony apparantly has an MOD program (as I've been told) but I can't recall them doing anything with it. And Fox.......well, you know the rest. Point being that if we want to try to count on a lot of the titles we want being made available MOD, unless something radically changes, if it aint Warner Bros., we probably won't see it. IMO

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Sony released "Ghost Story/Circle Of Fear" and "Born Free" through MOD.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Rather than dribbling out the releases, maybe the answer is "complete series" releases. That approach seems to have worked for Law & Order and Cagney & Lacey. I bought both (in addition to The Fugitive), and would do the same for other classics I watched back in the day.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Rick Thompson said:
Rather than dribbling out the releases, maybe the answer is "complete series" releases. That approach seems to have worked for Law & Order and Cagney & Lacey. I bought both (in addition to The Fugitive), and would do the same for other classics I watched back in the day.
Perhaps.

I don't know if this will ever happen, but I would be up for some "complete series" blu-ray sets of recently canceled CBS shows like CSI:Miami and CSI:NY.

With the exception of Warner and HBO, it seems like just about every major movie company has given up on tv on blu-ray.

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Whilst I can see the up-side of this discussion, personally I'm not happy with a number of things namely: the music replacements in My Three Sons, the hack job of The Odd Couple and the overall quality of Lost In Space.

Would also love to see The Mod Squad, One Step Beyond, Sgt. Bilko and Happy Days completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks