• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 of 51 Mark Mayes

Mark Mayes

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted May 16 2013 - 12:55 AM

Are there no pristine 3-strip nitrate prints of this anywhere?

I'm sure the transfer wouldn't be as good as what we are going to see from Twilight (I'd imagine it'd look more like the Selznick releases from Kino,) but I hate to think the reference exists nowhere.

#22 of 51 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,135 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 16 2013 - 01:13 AM

I'm sure the transfer wouldn't be as good as what we are going to see from Twilight (I'd imagine it'd look more like the Selznick releases from Kino,) but I hate to think the reference exists nowhere.

It is, what it is, thank God for technology that keeps advancing and will continue to do so as we can at least watch this great film in a video presentation that most of us will still be very satisfied with.  However, the following pretty much answers your question:

Like the rest of the Fox library, all of the original elements for Leave Her to Heaven were poorly copied, and then junked in the mid-'70s.

But here's where some interesting digital technology comes in, and led by Fox's Schawn Belston, with support from The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences and The Film Foundation, the film is once again far more than viewable.

While Leave Her to Heaven looks nothing like it would have from pure three-strip Technicolor negatives or fine grains, with the work performed, we can get a very good peek inside that look, and still come away impressed.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#23 of 51 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• PipPipPip
  • 7,210 posts

Posted May 16 2013 - 03:12 AM

Original reference, including the studio nitrate, is at UCLA.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#24 of 51 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,135 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 16 2013 - 03:25 AM

Original reference, including the studio nitrate, is at UCLA.

RAH

Why can't they use that then to derive other elements from to produce a better BD, too cost prohibitive?

Crawdaddy

#25 of 51 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• PipPipPip
  • 7,210 posts

Posted May 16 2013 - 06:42 AM

Why can't they use that then to derive other elements from to produce a better BD, too cost prohibitive?

Partially, yes.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#26 of 51 haineshisway

haineshisway

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 16 2013 - 09:05 AM

As I said in the TT time thread weeks ago after seeing some of this transfer, it's really quite nice and there is detail here I've never seen before.  I'd say if people sit back and relax, especially people who've really never seen a dye transfer print of the film, and just enjoy it, most people will be extremely pleased with it, as I was, and I HAVE seen a dye transfer print.

• WadeM likes this

#27 of 51 bgart13

bgart13

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted May 16 2013 - 09:38 AM

I always get Gene and Lawrence Tierney confused. And when this happens, I scratch my head wondering why people talk about him being gorgeous and whatnot.

Then I remember.

:D

• Steve...O likes this

#28 of 51 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,135 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 16 2013 - 02:07 PM

I always get Gene and Lawrence Tierney confused. And when this happens, I scratch my head wondering why people talk about him being gorgeous and whatnot.

Then I remember.

:D

I always get Lawrence Tierney mixed up with Scott Brady for some strange reason. ;)

Crawdaddy

#29 of 51 WadeM

WadeM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted May 16 2013 - 04:33 PM

W hen you think of the tremendous films she was in, I find it astonishing that as far as the GP goes, Gene Tierney is not up there with the greats. I guess that's why she's consigned to the over-priced Twilight Time catalogue .. but I suppose we should be grateful to have her on Blu ray at all!

Can't wait for this, and for 'The Ghost and Mrs Muir'!

I love both films and eagerly await both to be mine on blu-ray!

Edited by WadeM, May 16 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#30 of 51 Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted May 16 2013 - 05:56 PM

The real meat and potatoes of any review is in the words used to convey the reviewer's observations; the point rating is merely a shorthand generalization. It seems to me that arguments over decimal fractions is getting into a real angels-dancing-on-heads-of-pins area.

#31 of 51 Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted May 17 2013 - 08:41 AM

The real meat and potatoes of any review is in the words used to convey the reviewer's observations; the point rating is merely a shorthand generalization. It seems to me that arguments over decimal fractions is getting into a real angels-dancing-on-heads-of-pins area.

Agreed. RAH's review is how it looks and sounds vs how it could look and sound under ideal circumstances, which the circumstances surrounding Leave Her to Heaven are not. I agree completely with his review.

#32 of 51 Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted May 17 2013 - 10:04 AM

Agreed. RAH's review is how it looks and sounds vs how it could look and sound under ideal circumstances, which the circumstances surrounding Leave Her to Heaven are not. I agree completely with his review.

Actually, I had intended to make that post about point-rating in the Great Escape thread where it would have been more pertinent, but fouled that up somehow.

#33 of 51 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,135 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 18 2013 - 10:14 AM

After viewing the BD in its entirety this morning, I declare I'm very happy with the disc presentation.  I think it's about as good as it going to look on any video format.  On my grading system, I would give it a 4.5 based on 5 being perfect.  I very enjoyable viewing experience this morning.  A great way to start off the day.

• ROclockCK likes this

Crawdaddy

#34 of 51 lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted May 18 2013 - 11:17 AM

Got my shipping notice for this and "Philadelphia" from Screen Archives' website on Wednesday...I am eagerly looking forward to enjoying the charms of Ms. Tierney on my 56" Samsung DLP screen when it arrives next week!!! :cheers:

#35 of 51 ABaglivi

ABaglivi

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted May 18 2013 - 11:58 AM

Watched this last night. Having screened IB prints of Leave Her To Heaven over the years, I consider RAH's grade very generous.

#36 of 51 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,135 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 18 2013 - 03:42 PM

Watched this last night. Having screened IB prints of Leave Her To Heaven over the years, I consider RAH's grade very generous.

Opinions varied.

Crawdaddy

#37 of 51 Richard M S

Richard M S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted May 18 2013 - 09:55 PM

Thanks for the informative review; I eagerly await the delivery of the Leave Her To Heaven Blu-ray I pre-ordered.

One (slightly off-topic) question :

Have any of the Fox original three strip Technicolor negatives survive intact, or was the Fox staff very thorough?

However if any prints actually did survive the purge, have those titles made it to dvd or Blu-ray yet?

Thanks again!

• Robin9 likes this

#38 of 51 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• PipPipPip
  • 7,210 posts

Posted May 19 2013 - 03:43 AM

Thanks for the informative review; I eagerly await the delivery of the Leave Her To Heaven Blu-ray I pre-ordered.

One (slightly off-topic) question :

Have any of the Fox original three strip Technicolor negatives survive intact, or was the Fox staff very thorough?

However if any prints actually did survive the purge, have those titles made it to dvd or Blu-ray yet?

Thanks again!

Fox did a superb job of protecting the world from nitrate. Not certain what your second question references. Prints survive on most titles, except the early safety era, which deteriorated.

RAH

#39 of 51 Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted May 19 2013 - 10:05 AM

Fox did a superb job of protecting the world from nitrate. Not certain what your second question references. Prints survive on most titles, except the early safety era, which deteriorated.

RAH

Were some Fox 3-strip films of the early safety era duped in the '70s? Or was that restricted to nitrate material? That is, if you are at liberty to discuss it.

Edited by Lromero1396, May 19 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#40 of 51 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• PipPipPip
  • 7,210 posts

Posted May 19 2013 - 12:56 PM

Were some Fox 3-strip films of the early safety era duped in the '70s? Or was that restricted to nitrate material? That is, if you are at liberty to discuss it.

Sorry.  I'm still  not understanding your question.

There was a run of dye transfer prints, i.e. final orders in the early 1970s for both acetate as well as nitrate.  Afaik, Fox, under the present archival leadership, has been doing proper quality asset protection of early safety three-strips.  Was that your question?

RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users