What's new

The Beatles' "Help!" available on blu-ray June 25th! Pre-order page already up at Amazon (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Great news! Here's hoping it includes everything from the Apple DVD and the old MPI DVD.That leaves only Let It Be (rumored to be in 2013) and A Hard Day's Night, the 50th anniversary for which is next year.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Sam Favate said:
Great news! Here's hoping it includes everything from the Apple DVD and the old MPI DVD.
That leaves only Let It Be (rumored to be in 2013) and A Hard Day's Night, the 50th anniversary for which is next year.
Special Features listed here:

Help!’s Blu-ray package pairs the digitally restored original film with these extra features:
• “The Beatles in Help!” – a 30-minute documentary about the making of the film with Richard Lester, the cast and crew, including exclusive behind-the-scenes footage of The Beatles on-set.
• “A Missing Scene” – a film outtake, featuring Wendy Richard
• “The Restoration of Help!” – an in-depth look at the restoration process
• “Memories of Help!” – the cast and crew reminisce
• 1965 Theatrical Trailers – two original U.S. trailers and one original Spanish trailer
• 1965 U.S. Radio Spots (hidden in disc menus)

That's three releases so far in a June-October-June pattern, so..... Let It Be in October '13 and A Hard Day's Night in June '14? Maybe an HD upgrade of Anthology?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
And don't forget:

AHDN_5Bcrop.jpg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
great news! Now we need Let It Be as a multi-disc boxset and a bluray of Anthology with expanded music!

(I dare to dream :) )

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Brandon Conway said:
The 2007 DVD release of Help! was 1.75:1, so I imagine the BD will be the same. As for A Hard Day's Night, we'll still have to wait and see.
The Youtube trailer seems to indicate otherwise. I guess we'll have to cross our fingers.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
This is awesome news. Help! is one of my all-time favorites.The 2007 DVD is definitely 1.66:1. The digital work is quite impressive, too. All the opticals look awful on the MPI DVD, but they're much better on the remaster. Still a bit contrasty, but they eradicated the rain of dirt and scratches.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Brandon Conway said:
That's three releases so far in a June-October-June pattern, so..... Let It Be in October '13 and A Hard Day's Night in June '14? Maybe an HD upgrade of Anthology?
Let's hope it's a pattern. Over in the Let It Be thread, I posted a link a while back to a 2011 interview that Michael Lindsay-Hogg gave, in which he said he understood LIB to be coming in 2013. http://www.examiner.com/article/beatles-let-it-be-director-drops-hints-about-dvd-s-release-date

Also, a Beatles archivist has said the film has been restored and looks great: http://www.examiner.com/article/beatles-archivist-who-has-seen-it-all-gets-64-d-c-show-back-to-the-big-screen

Ringo said last year LIB would come out but he didn't know when.

And while there is a HDN blu-ray out there, by all reports it isn't very good, and surely Apple won't let the 50th anniversary go by unnoticed, will they? HDN came out in the US in August 1964, so a June release next year lines up.

And hey, a blu-ray set of the Anthology to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the Ed Sullivan Show appearance in February would be alright.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Patrick McCart said:
The 2007 DVD is definitely 1.66:1. The digital work is quite impressive, too. All the opticals look awful on the MPI DVD, but they're much better on the remaster. Still a bit contrasty, but they eradicated the rain of dirt and scratches.
Alas, I popped in my DVD when I got home and it is indeed closer to 1.66:1 than 1.75:1. Cursed faulty memory! Thanks for setting things straight.

Personally I don't find the difference between 1.66 and 1,75 large enough to be all that distracting (as compared to, say, 1.37:1 to 1.66:1).

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Can someone please supply a link to the Amazon pre-order page? I've searched for 'Help', 'Help!', 'Help Blu ray' and 'The Beatles Help' and it seems an invisible link... or else it's been taken down.....

Paul D G

Screenwriter
How awesome! Just the other day I was thinking of watching Help! with the kids over the weekend (we just got tickets to McCartney and they've been getting into the Beatles a little bit more). Have to wait now!

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Bob Furmanek said:
Absolutely, 100% spot on!

:D

I mean, as ever, open to any other evidence that someone might produce. But unless that's forthcoming, same director, same production company, same studio, and made within a year of each other (more or less), it has to be 1.75:1, doesn't it?

The only think...how bothered are we?

I mean I know it'll niggle a little, and fair enough.

But we're very used to getting 1.85:1 films opened out slightly to 1.78:1, and the jump from 1.75:1 to 1.66:1 is almost identcal. And we're not getting any of the OAR cropped off - it's a less-wide ratio showing just a little more than intended, rather than a little less.

If this were an American 1.85:1 film from last year released in 1.78:1 I doubt anyone would even comment, would they? Could be wrong.

But yes, to be precise it should be 1.75:1, unless they have a damn good reason otherwise.

Steve W

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks