Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PHE Press Release: Star Trek The Next Generation Season 4 and Redemption (Blu-ray)

Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,151 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 09:50 AM

ScreenSnapz001.jpg ScreenSnapz002.jpg

ACCLAIMED HIGH-DEFINITION UPGRADE OF ICONIC SERIES CONTINUES WITH TWO NEW REMASTERED COLLECTIONS

STAR TREK:

THE NEXT GENERATION

THE FOURTH SEASON BLU-RAYTM

And

REDEMPTION BLU-RAY

Packed With Exclusive Special Features Including Cast And Crew Interviews, Audio Commentaries And More

Available July 30, 2013

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (May 14, 2013) – The epic sci-fi adventure continues as the latest high-definition collections of the celebrated series, STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION® – THE FOURTH SEASON BLU-RAY and STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION® – REDEMPTION BLU-RAY (including Ultraviolet™ download or stream) arrive July 30 from 

CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Media Distribution.  Featuring painstaking restorations of the beloved series’ episodes, both sets are also packed with must-see special features that delve into the inception and creation of some of Star Trek: The Next Generation’s most unforgettable moments. 

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION® – THE FOURTH SEASON

From the season premiere - the epic conclusion of the two-part cliffhanger “The Best Of Both Worlds” - to its thrilling finale “Redemption” Part 1, STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION – THE FOURTH SEASON is distinguished as one of the most favored amongst fans. 

In addition to all-new commentary tracks on select episodes with some of the franchise’s biggest names including writers Ronald D. Moore and Brannon Braga, and director Rob Bowman, the collection also includes brand new special features exclusive to the release including never-before-released deleted scenes.  With “RELATIVITY: The Family Saga of Star Trek – The Next Generation,” fans will uncover special insight into particular challenges facing the production of the fourth season.  This multi-part documentary focuses on the series’ evolution after its critically acclaimed third season turned the show into a crossover hit, while also giving viewers a special look into the personal relationships and family bonds of the crew of the Enterprise with key episodes such as “Reunion” and “Brothers.”

Also, “In Conversation: The Art Department” special feature offers unprecedented insight into the creation of some of the series’ most iconic designs through interviews with production designer Herman Zimmerman, illustrator Doug Drexler, illustrator and technical consultant Rick Sternbach, scenic art supervisor Michael Okuda, scenic artist Denise Okuda and FX maestro Dan Curry, each revealing fascinating background into how the series cemented the look of the 24th century.

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION – THE FOURTH SEASON BLU-RAY features all 26 episodes of the fourth season, brilliantly remastered into stunning high-definition that continues to be hailed by critics including High-Def Digest, who called the third season Blu-ray release “an amazing, fan-pleasing product.”

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION – REDEMPTION

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION – REDEMPTION BLU-RAY, also featuring Ultraviolet download or stream, is a seamlessly edited, feature-length presentation of the classic two-part episode that served as the season four finale and season five premiere.  Penned by acclaimed sci-fi screenwriter Ronald D. Moore (Battlestar Galactica), the thrilling episode follows Captain Picard (Patrick Stewart) and Lieutenant Worf (Michael Dorn) as they fight to end a Klingon civil war.

Along with an extensive audio commentary from Moore and scenic artists/Star Trek consultants Mike and Denise Okuda, STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION – REDEMPTION BLU-RAY includes the exclusive documentary, “Survive and Succeed: An Empire at War.”  This newly produced special feature explores the Klingon mythology of Star Trek: The Next Generation and features all-new interviews with writer/producer Moore, who, in addition to “Redemption,” wrote some of the franchise’s most memorable Klingon storylines, and some of the actors who played the most renowned Klingon characters including Michael Dorn (Worf), Robert O’Reilly (Gowron) and Gwynyth Walsh (B’Etor).

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION – THE FOURTH SEASON BLU-RAY will be available in 1080p with English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English Stereo Surround, French Mono, German Mono, Castilian Mono, Italian Mono, and Japanese Mono.  The discs also include English SDH, and French, German, Castilian, Italian, Japanese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish subtitles.  The Blu-ray is Not Rated in the U.S. and rated PG in Canada.  It will be available for the suggested retail price of $130.00 U.S. and $150.00 Canada.  Its disc breakdown is as follows:

Disc One:

Episodes

· The Best of Both Worlds, Part II

· Family

· Brothers

· Suddenly Human

· Remember Me

Special Features

· Archival Mission Log: Mission Overview Year Four (SD)

· Audio Commentary with Rob Bowman and Mike & Denise Okuda on “Brothers” – NEW!

· Episodic Promos

o Promo #1 (SD)

o Promo #2 (SD)

o Promo #3 (SD)

o Promo #4 (SD)

o Promo #5 (SD)

Disc Two:

Episodes

· Legacy

· Reunion

· Future Imperfect

· Final Mission

· The Loss

Special Features

· Archival Mission Log: Selected Crew Analysis Year Four (SD)

· Audio Commentary with Ronald D. Moore, Brannon Braga and Mike & Denise Okuda on “Reunion” – NEW!

· Episodic Promos

o Promo #1 (SD)

o Promo #2 (SD)

o Promo #3 (SD)

o Promo #4 (SD)

o Promo #5 (SD)

Disc Three:

Episodes

· Data’s Day

· The Wounded

· Devil’s Due

· Clues

· First Contact

Special Features

· Archival Mission Log: New Life and New Civilizations (SD)

· Episodic Promos

o Promo #1 (SD)

o Promo #2 (SD)

o Promo #3 (SD)

o Promo #4 (SD)

o Promo #5 (SD)

Disc Four:

Episodes

· Galaxy’s Child

· Night Terrors

· Identity Crisis

· The Nth Degree

· Qpid

Special Features

· Archival Mission Log: Chronicles from the Final Frontier (SD)

· Episodic Promos

o Promo #1 (SD)

o Promo #2 (SD)

o Promo #3 (SD)

o Promo #4 (SD)

o Promo #5 (SD)

Disc Five:

Episodes

· The Drumhead

· Half a Life

· The Host

· The Mind’s Eye

Special Features

· Archival Mission Log: Departmental Briefing Year Four: Production (SD)

· Archival Mission Log: Select Historical Data (SD)

· Archival Mission Log: Inside the Star Trek Archives (SD)

· Episodic Promos

o Promo #1 (SD)

o Promo #2 (SD)

o Promo #3 (SD)

o Promo #4 (SD)

Disc Six:

Episodes

· In Theory

· Redemption, Part I

Special Features

· In Conversation: The Star Trek TM Art Department (HD) – NEW!

· RELATIVITY: The Family Saga of Star Trek – The Next Generation (HD) – NEW!

· Part 1: Homecoming

· Part 2: Posterity

· Gag Reel (HD) – NEW!

· Deleted Scenes (HD) – NEW!

o The Best Of Both Worlds, Part II

o Family

o Brothers

o Final Mission

o The Wounded

o Galaxy’s Child

o Qpid

o The Host

· Episodic Promos

o Promo #1 (SD)

o Promo #2 (SD)

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION – REDEMPTION BLU-RAY will be available in 1080p with English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English Stereo Surround, German Mono, French Mono and Japanese Mono.  The collection also includes English SDH, German, French and Japanese subtitles. The Blu-ray is Not Rated in the U.S. and rated PG in Canada.  It will be available for the suggested retail price of $28.28 U.S. and $32.00 Canada.  Its disc breakdown is as follows:

· Redemption (Parts 1 and 2)

Special Features

· Audio Commentary with Ronald D. Moore and Mike & Denise Okuda – NEW!

· Survive and Succeed: An Empire at War (HD) – NEW!

· Episodic Promos

o Part 1

o Part 2

CBS Home Entertainment manages the worldwide DVD and Blu-ray businesses for the CBS Corporation across all lines of content including current hits and classic series from the vast CBS library, as well as new releases from Showtime Video.  CBS Home Entertainment products are released on the CBS DVD and CBS Blu-ray labels.  

Paramount Home Media Distribution (PHMD) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment.  PPC is a unit of Viacom (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands.  The PHMD division oversees PPC’s home entertainment, digital and television distribution activities worldwide. The division is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment content on behalf of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Insurge Pictures, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and CBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for certain DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment titles.  PHMD additionally manages global licensing of studio content and distribution across worldwide digital and television distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION — THE FOURTH SEASON

Street Date: July 30, 2013

Suggest retail price: $130.00 US / $150.00 CAN

Catalog #: 7913512

Runtime: Approximately 19 hours and 41 minutes

U.S. Rating: Not Rated

CAN Rating: PG

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION — REDEMPTION BLU-RAY

Street Date: July 30, 2013

Suggest retail price: $28.28 US / $32.00 CAN

Catalog #: 804414

Runtime: Approximately 1 hour and 27 minutes

U.S. Rating: Not Rated

CAN Rating: PG

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,166 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 12:40 PM

I wonder: if the "movies" (Redemption and BOBW) fare well enough in sales, will CBS consider new direct-to-blu films with the TNG (or DS9) casts?

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,966 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 17 2013 - 09:16 AM

I think they'd be prohibitively expensive and they'd be competing with the new theatrical timeline.  These "movies" are known quantities and all CBS really has to do it edit them together and get them into the theater.  Besides, Warner tried to resurrect Babylon 5 a few times, the last as a series of DVD movies, and that kinda died.  And yes, I know B5 isn't Trek.  It's just the best example I can think of right now.

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,166 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 05:43 AM

ST:TNG was named to the WGA's list of 101 best written TV shows, coming in at 79. (TOS was 33.) The blurb on the show in the article has this great nugget:

For his follow-up to a sci-fi series phenomenon roughly the size of the cosmos, Gene Roddenberry wanted to demonstrate, as he put it in a 1991 Los Angeles Times Magazine article, "that TV need not be violent to be exciting.”

Watching the show on blu-ray again - alongside contemporary shows like Game of Thrones (which I like a lot) - this really rings true, and is a reason I like TNG so much.

http://www.wga.org/c...lt.aspx?id=5054

The whole list: http://www.wga.org/c...lt.aspx?id=4925

#5 of 22 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,151 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 08:59 AM

Just started watching recently purchased Star Trek Seasons 1-3.

I will eventually buy Season 4 once it drops to the $50 price point.

Would like to know how Redemption fits into all of this.

Was that a Star Trek TNG episode in the same light as The Best of Both Worlds?

As with The Best of Both Worlds, will Redemption be included in the season set so I don't have to buy it separately?

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,966 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:05 AM

Ron,

The first part of Redemption is the Season 4 finale; the second part is the Season 5 premiere.  (Same thing with BoBW spanning S3 and S4.)  Obviously, it is also meant to be two separate episodes and not one "feature length" production. 

Disc 6 from the press release in the first post here shows Redemption I being included.  It would be really really REALLY inane for CBS not to include it in the season sets.  The difference will be the cut.

#7 of 22 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,151 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:06 AM

Jason,

Aaah, okay.  So, I don't have to buy these separately if I plan on buying the season sets.

Nice.  Thanks.

Ronald J Epstein

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,166 posts

Posted June 29 2013 - 03:51 AM

A preview of Season 5 is up on StarTrek.com. No release date is mentioned.

http://www.startrek....on-five-blu-ray

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,966 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted June 29 2013 - 02:49 PM

I love the quizzical way the voiceover goes...Wesley?

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,045 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 02:42 PM

wal-mart is selling the standard definition dvd sets for $34.00 each. B.J.'s has some of the sets for $24.00 and $29.00.

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,270 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted July 30 2013 - 06:18 AM

My adventures in obtaining Season 4 & "Redemption":Earlier, I found out that Target would do its buy-both-get $10 off deal, and it was confirmed in the Sunday ad in the newspaper. So I set my sights on Target today for an 8 AM opening, since it's known that these are limited.7:50 AM - Leave house for the five mile drive to our Target shopping center.8:00 AM - Enter store, head back to the electronics section.8:02 AM - Wander around looking for where these STAR TREK Blu-rays might be.8:04 AM - Catch a red-shirted employee and ask the question.8:05 AM - I'm handed over to the red-shirt who'll know the answer.8:06 AM - Red-shirt uses scanner to reveal that this store got zero copies of the Season 4 set, but they had 3 copies of "Redemption".8:07 AM - Am told that the second-closest Target up in Kissimmee is reporting three copies. And virtually all other nearby stores report zero.8:08 AM - As I'm dejectedly heading away from the department, a red-shirted lady asked if I found everything OK. I relay my story to her.8:09 AM - Red shirted lady engages earlier red-shirted guy about the story. Red-shirted guy is told to call the other store and verify and hold items.8:14 AM - Red shirted guy spends long time on phone with Kissimmee store - they cannot locate any, despite the computer record.8:16 AM - Red shirted guy calls Lakeland store as they report two in stock. Store confirms.8:20 AM - Enter car on journey to Lakeland, a 22 mile trip on I-4.8:50 AM - Locate Lakeland store and enter.8:55 AM - Pass by rack with new release items on it. See one copy of Season 4, with two copies of Redemption above it.8:58 AM - Grab those two and go looking for Lakeland red-shirt to report that I'd gotten what he was supposedly holding.8:59 AM - Pay for items and leave store.9:00 AM - Stop at food stand on way out of Target for some of their freshly popped popcorn.9:05 AM - Begin journey back home.9:30 AM - Arrive home, unpack items, enter same in DVD Profiler database.10:14 AM - Smack's head and wonders why he didn't just price-match at Best Buy...Harry

Edited by Harry-N, July 31 2013 - 04:31 AM.

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,966 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted July 30 2013 - 06:35 AM

Harry, I don't mean to laugh at you (I'd do something just like this!) but I LOVE the last piece at 10:14...smacking your head! 

I thought about canceling the Amazon preorder, but I figured what you just went through would cost me more in gas and headache than the $10.  And I have everything waiting for me when I get home tonight. 

Enjoy getting into the set!

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,308 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted July 30 2013 - 08:51 AM

Picked my copy up at Moviestop just a bit ago.

Same price as Amazon.

This time out, I didn't bother with Redemption, because none of the other season ending cliffhanger two-parters were as "gotta see it now!!!" to me as BOBW was.

Looking forward to diving into the set here soon. Well, have to go back to S3 and watch part one of Best of Both Worlds, first, in its original broadcast format.

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 658 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 06:28 PM

Out this morning and found two copies at my local Target.  Was there around noon.  Thought about trying to price-match at Best Buy, but my local store had no copies!!!!  So glad I found one at Target.  Have watched the first three episodes and still continue to be amazed at the quality of these discs.

Doug

Edited by Doug Wallen, July 30 2013 - 06:29 PM.

a:5:{s:9:"signature

#15 of 22 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,151 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 01:41 AM

Amazon is selling this for $60.

I am tempted....but I am hoping for an additional price drop

over the next several months.

Hope all of you enjoy your sets in the meantime.

Ronald J Epstein

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 02:55 PM

I know ST is one franchise CBS "tries" harder with.  How are their sets generally.  As in, any of the problems that plague other CBS-released classics?

CBS = Constantly Butchering Shows.

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,966 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted July 31 2013 - 05:18 PM

I know ST is one franchise CBS "tries" harder with.  How are their sets generally.  As in, any of the problems that plague other CBS-released classics?

There was a mastering error on S1, but CBS was very quick with replacement discs.  Season 2 has been criticized for sub-par FX work, but no disc problems there.  I don't know of anyone who has said anything negative on S3.  And I'm just starting to dig into S4 tonight.  Right now, it seems a little light on VAM compared to the other seasons, but that's all I can see right now.

Any problem in particular you're worried about?

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,308 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted July 31 2013 - 11:53 PM

There was a mastering error on S1, but CBS was very quick with replacement discs.  Season 2 has been criticized for sub-par FX work, but no disc problems there.  I don't know of anyone who has said anything negative on S3.  And I'm just starting to dig into S4 tonight.  Right now, it seems a little light on VAM compared to the other seasons, but that's all I can see right now.

Any problem in particular you're worried about?

I would guess he's referring to editing the shows or changing music, but Trek never had any licensed music or questionable cues to begin with, so the traditional CBS/P fears don't apply.

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,270 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted August 01 2013 - 04:26 AM

I would guess he's referring to editing the shows or changing music, but Trek never had any licensed music or questionable cues to begin with, so the traditional CBS/P fears don't apply.

Well, not in the DVD era and beyond. There was always the "Good Night Sweetheart" cues that were stripped for years from "City On The Edge Of Forever" in the VHS era.

But true, the rest of TREK hasn't had any other music clearance issues.

CBS/P has had its share of music-replacewment issues though with series like THE FUGITIVE and MY THREE SONS. THE FUGITIVE has been corrected with the full-series MOST WANTED set.

Harry

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,166 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 04:35 AM

I'd curious how the HD mastering for season 4 turned out. Wasn't season 4 done by someone other than CBS, like season 2? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users