Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Panasonic SU-HTB550 No support for DTS HD MA stereo

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   pazzy_1978

pazzy_1978

Auditioning

• 5 posts
  • Locationbarcelona

Posted May 14 2013 - 11:34 PM

Hi, A few weeks ago I got the Panasonic HTB550 2.1 soundbar system, I was pretty happy with it untill I tried to play a Blu Ray with DTS HD MA Stereo, and it's silent. I checked other BD and they are fine, in fact the sound plays in the menu of this one that doesn't have sound. A quick search on google revealed it doesn't support DTS HD MA ?? Seriously ?? this is quite a new model, surely it could "downgrade" the audio, it is HDMI signal after all . IS this a popular sound track on BluRays ?

- update :

And to make it even more confusing , I have other BD's that have DTS HD Master Audio, that work fine, Is there a difference between DTS HD MA Stereo , and DTS HD Master Audio ? I presume the MA is Master - but audio and stereo surely couldn't be the difference between working and not working, perhaps it's the disc... Its "Wonders of Life" BBC series on BluRay

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B008RA62HK

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   pazzy_1978

pazzy_1978

Auditioning

• 5 posts
  • Locationbarcelona

Posted May 17 2013 - 07:25 AM

H ,
I was thinking of a potential solution to this , )It's strange the way it doesn't support DTS HD Master stereo 
when it does support DTS HD Master Multi ?)

But anyway, I have the Panasonic DMP  BD80 player and it has it's own 7.1 audio encoding, 
If i get an optical cable and connect them, it should work ? see images below 

My only worry is that the output for the receiver is TV/BD/DVD/Aux1/Aux2 etc ... so for this to work
it would need to be on BD/DVD and Aux2 at once ? and I don't know if this is possible.

BD DMP BD80
Posted Image

receiver (Panasonic HTB550)
Posted Image

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,966 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted May 17 2013 - 01:08 PM

Yes, I think it's something in your settings though. The only difference between the DTS HD MAs on your discs is the number of channels, unless its extracting a DTS core.... When you listen to one of your working DTS HD MA does the sound bar tell you what the sound format it's p,aging back is?

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,313 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted May 18 2013 - 09:18 AM

Since you are using a 2.1 soundbar, I would suggest setting the bluray player's audio output to pcm stereo.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   pazzy_1978

pazzy_1978

Auditioning

• 5 posts
  • Locationbarcelona

Posted May 19 2013 - 04:39 AM

Hi Looking at optical cables , is toslink the standard ? The above images - are they toslink connections ?

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,966 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted May 19 2013 - 10:08 AM

HiLooking at optical cables , is toslink the standard ?The above images - are they toslink connections ?

Yes, Toslink is another name for an optical digital cable and those are toslink inputs.  Toslink can be used for 2 channel, or DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1.  It can't be used for the newer HD audio formats like Dolby TrueHD or DTS HDMA

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   pazzy_1978

pazzy_1978

Auditioning

• 5 posts
  • Locationbarcelona

Posted May 19 2013 - 12:17 PM

Yes, Toslink is another name for an optical digital cable and those are toslink inputs.  Toslink can be used for 2 channel, or DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1.  It can't be used for the newer HD audio formats like Dolby TrueHD or DTS HDMA

OK, My Panasonic DMP BD80 can change the audio output - but not HDMI audio, the options for HDMI audio output is just on or off - but with the digital output via co-ax or optical there is a lot more options like convert from DTS - PCM stereo ... etc..

So in theory anyway , this should work ? 

I'm still amazed that this system has support for True HD audio + DTS HD Master Audio but not DTS HD Master Stereo 

??

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,463 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted May 19 2013 - 03:35 PM

Read page 33 of your owner's manuel. It describes how you can select Digital Audio Output to be either bitstream or PCM. You want PCM since your soundbar can't handle a DTS-HD Master Audio bitstream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users