What's new

Panasonic SU-HTB550 No support for DTS HD MA stereo (1 Viewer)

pazzy_1978

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Hi,
A few weeks ago I got the Panasonic HTB550 2.1 soundbar system,
I was pretty happy with it untill I tried to play a Blu Ray with DTS HD MA Stereo, and it's silent.
I checked other BD and they are fine, in fact the sound plays in the menu of this one that doesn't have sound.
A quick search on google revealed it doesn't support DTS HD MA ??
Seriously ??
this is quite a new model, surely it could "downgrade" the audio, it is HDMI signal after all .
IS this a popular sound track on BluRays ?

- update :
And to make it even more confusing , I have other BD's that have DTS HD Master Audio, that work fine,
Is there a difference between DTS HD MA Stereo , and DTS HD Master Audio ?
I presume the MA is Master - but audio and stereo surely couldn't be the difference between working and not working, perhaps it's the disc...
Its "Wonders of Life" BBC series on BluRay
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wonders-Life-Blu-ray-Prof-Brian/dp/B008RA62HK

pazzy_1978

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
H ,
I was thinking of a potential solution to this , )It's strange the way it doesn't support DTS HD Master stereo
when it does support DTS HD Master Multi ?)

But anyway, I have the Panasonic DMP BD80 player and it has it's own 7.1 audio encoding,
If i get an optical cable and connect them, it should work ? see images below

My only worry is that the output for the receiver is TV/BD/DVD/Aux1/Aux2 etc ... so for this to work
it would need to be on BD/DVD and Aux2 at once ? and I don't know if this is possible.

BD DMP BD80
8747253288_1ccce2c733_c.jpg

receiver (Panasonic HTB550)
8747253278_e8ba4c09b4_c.jpg

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Yes, I think it's something in your settings though. The only difference between the DTS HD MAs on your discs is the number of channels, unless its extracting a DTS core.... When you listen to one of your working DTS HD MA does the sound bar tell you what the sound format it's p,aging back is?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Since you are using a 2.1 soundbar, I would suggest setting the bluray player's audio output to pcm stereo.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
pazzy_1978 said:
HiLooking at optical cables , is toslink the standard ?The above images - are they toslink connections ?
Yes, Toslink is another name for an optical digital cable and those are toslink inputs. Toslink can be used for 2 channel, or DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1. It can't be used for the newer HD audio formats like Dolby TrueHD or DTS HDMA

pazzy_1978

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Adam Gregorich said:
Yes, Toslink is another name for an optical digital cable and those are toslink inputs. Toslink can be used for 2 channel, or DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1. It can't be used for the newer HD audio formats like Dolby TrueHD or DTS HDMA
OK, My Panasonic DMP BD80 can change the audio output - but not HDMI audio, the options for HDMI audio output is just on or off - but with the digital output via co-ax or optical there is a lot more options like convert from DTS - PCM stereo ... etc..

So in theory anyway , this should work ?

I'm still amazed that this system has support for True HD audio + DTS HD Master Audio but not DTS HD Master Stereo

??

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Read page 33 of your owner's manuel. It describes how you can select Digital Audio Output to be either bitstream or PCM. You want PCM since your soundbar can't handle a DTS-HD Master Audio bitstream.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks