Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Press Release: Charlie Chan Collection

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 of 45 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted May 16 2013 - 09:09 AM

Official packaging revealed

chan_warner.jpg

Surprisingly the cover art isn't favoring Sydney Toler

Edited by JoHud, May 16 2013 - 09:11 AM.

• dana martin and WadeM like this

#22 of 45 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted May 16 2013 - 11:04 AM

Confucius says, "Happiness is new set of Charlie Chan DVDs on sale August 06th (2013) at your local video retailer and online video retail outlet."

I suppose the graphic is a generic representation of the great detective.  It's too bad a good more meaningful portrait of Sidney Toler (or Roland Winters) couldn't have been attempted again.

Jeff T.

:D

#23 of 45 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 906 posts

Posted May 16 2013 - 05:07 PM

chan_warner.jpg

Thanks!

#24 of 45 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,954 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted May 16 2013 - 05:27 PM

Variation on a theme, think not only does it represent Charlie Chan as a classic character, but the angle of presentation and art deco style is comparable to the cover of TCM Spotlight Collection

chan_warner.jpg

Surprisingly the cover art isn't favoring Sydney Toler

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#25 of 45 OFFLINE   ponset

ponset

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 01:19 AM

Like the cover art.

Since the running times on these movies are under 75 minutes with no special features,

I wish they would have put two movies on a disc.

Save some shelf space.

I have got my pre order in.

#26 of 45 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,569 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 25 2013 - 11:30 AM

The last set made it down to $9.99 at Costco this past Black Friday, a much more manageable price given these short film, bare bones releases.

#27 of 45 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted August 11 2013 - 07:11 PM

Having received this set last Friday, I made time to watch all 4 films over this weekend.  I couldn't be happier with what WHV has given us.  They obviously spent a lot of time and money restoring these films because they look very, very good.   Having only seen dupey 16mm transfers previously the difference is literally night and day.  These prints are very detailed and clear with virtually no defects (only very minor and rare white speckles occur).  The original titles appear to be used (not always the case with budget studio prints which were occasionally replaced with tv distributor logos).  If anyone from WHV is reading this:  my sincerest thank you and I appreciate the efforts that were made to bring these to market especially given that finding decent elements was very challenging.

The films themselves are, in my opinion, among the better Monograms.  Roland Winters is often maligned and with some justification for his portrayal but the films are actually decent mysteries with very good supporting casts.  Mantan Moreland is used to good effect in all these films and Tim Ryan as a late series addition as a cop sidekick is effective as well.  For those not aware, he was once married to Irene Ryan for many years (but they were divorced by the time these films were made).  Finally it was to Monogram's credit that they brought back Sen Yung; none of the other actors they used to play offspring ever resonated with me.

Now just three films remain.  The entertaining Red Dragon (Toler) which has one of the best plots of any of the Mongrams and the last two Winters films in which Keye Luke returns.   Hopefully sales of this set warrant such a release.

Edited by Steve...O, August 11 2013 - 07:13 PM.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#28 of 45 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,576 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 12 2013 - 04:34 AM

Thanks for the report. I hadn't yet ordered my set, but your enthusiasm will make me do that today.

#29 of 45 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted August 12 2013 - 05:53 AM

I agree with that post too, I have taken 3 of the 4 films in, The PQ is excellent, the movies are very good. Roland Winters makes a better Chan (IMO) than Sidney Toler. Winters reminds me a lot of Warner Oland. 

The box set is awesome. Unlike the previous set this one looks like the ones Fox did - 4 movies, 4 DVD cases , housed in that study box. If you are aligning them all next to each other. the first TCM Chan Collection doesnt line up too well since its a slim box. Not a big deal but I was hoping for some consistency :)

I  have all the Chan sets 

Edited by David Steigman, August 12 2013 - 05:54 AM.

• Steve...O likes this

#30 of 45 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,845 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 12 2013 - 12:11 PM

I concur that these films look spectacular. I can not wait for the final 3.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#31 of 45 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,954 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted August 12 2013 - 06:59 PM

set should be in my hands by Thursday, hopeful that WB will announce the final 3 in the next few months, and not as WAC

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#32 of 45 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,112 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted August 12 2013 - 07:55 PM

I just placed my order. I hope this set does well enough to encourage Warner to release the remaining three titles.

• ahollis likes this
Rich Gallagher

#33 of 45 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 906 posts

Posted August 15 2013 - 05:55 AM

I received my copy. Hope to watch them soon

#34 of 45 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,576 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 15 2013 - 12:51 PM

Mine should be here by the weekend. I doubt I'll have any time to watch any of them (Shane is definitely first in the queue), but they'll get watched eventually.

#35 of 45 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,954 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted August 18 2013 - 12:07 PM

finished this up, the work done is amazing, cant wait for that next set

• ahollis likes this
Playing at the Drive In

#36 of 45 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts

Posted August 19 2013 - 11:27 PM

Tim Ryan as a late series addition as a cop sidekick is effective as well. 

Tim found steady work on both sides of the Camera at Monogram for years.including writing credit on several of the BOWERY BOYS films.

#37 of 45 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 01:00 PM

bwygallery20.jpg

This was such a vigorously enthusiastic discussion thread in anxious anticipation of the latest Charlie Chan DVD release.

I was (finally) able to get mine at a very ripe price substantially marked down from the initial exorbitant retail listed price when it was released in my country.

So now there are three Monogram Pictures titles still outstanding to complete the latter Monogram B-film series with Sidney Toler and Roland Winters that includes THE RED DRAGON (1945), THE FEATHERED SERPENT (1948) and THE SKY DRAGON (1949). 

Now if only the "missing" 20th Century-Fox Warner Oland films could also be found (and in our lifetime):  CHARLIE CHAN CARRIES ON (1931), CHARLIE CHAN'S CHANCE (1932), CHARLIE CHAN'S GREATEST CASE (1933) and CHARLIE CHAN'S COURAGE (1934).  There has to be surviving prints somewhere.

This looks like a case for Charlie Chan!

Jeff T.

#38 of 45 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted December 18 2013 - 06:36 AM

Even better do some Chan Blu Rays or do less bulky DVD packaging ..I have all the Chan sets , its like 2-3 feet long :D 

#39 of 45 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted December 18 2013 - 06:42 AM

Yeah!  I neglected to mention that that last batch were stored in an extravagantly substantial packaging.  Much more than necessary for mere Monogram produced programmers to be sure.  That probably accounts for most of the retail cost!

Pertaining to bluray?  That is undoubtedly coming my friend.

Jeff T.

• SAhmed likes this

#40 of 45 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,954 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted December 18 2013 - 07:13 AM

bwygallery20.jpg

This looks like a case for Charlie Chan!

Jeff T.

CCCSI: Charlie Chan Crime Scene Investigator 

just waiting for those last three to make it to pressed DVD

Playing at the Drive In

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users