Shows That Will Never Be Released

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#21 of 171 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,089 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 10:01 PM

i cant really give an opinion on something that i know nothing about.

Really? Since when does that stop you?

#22 of 171 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted May 12 2013 - 10:47 PM

OMG!

I LOVE HARDCORE TV.

That was what we watched before Mr. Show came out as kids, taped them on VHS and watched them endlessly.

The episodes (last I looked) were in full on YouTube - go check em out!
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#23 of 171 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,622 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 08:32 AM

I would put It's a Living/Making a Living in the same boat. It struggled on ABC, was reborn in syndication, but is probably mostly-forgotten now. Since one of the characters was a lounge musician, there might be music rights issues there, too.

Yeah, I don't think so either.  I'd love to see it again for sure as it was certainly a show I enjoyed so many years ago.

Heck I'd even love to see it on tv again(Antenna TV?).

Edited by Bryan^H, May 13 2013 - 08:32 AM.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#24 of 171 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,932 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted May 13 2013 - 09:25 AM

For foreign TV, it's highly unlikely that anything made by former British ITV programmer TVS (Television South, the forerunner to Southern Television) will ever get distributed again, because all the paperwork relating to the TVS archive was thrown out years ago, so current rights-holder Disney (who only own it by default anyway) can't license anything, even if they wanted to.

Several Doctor Who and Blakes 7 fans would have loved a DVD release of TVS series Knights of God (as it starred Patrick Troughton and Gareth Thomas), but due to the missing paperwork, it can't be licenced.

Edited by AndyMcKinney, May 13 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#25 of 171 Darby67

Darby67

Second Unit

• 285 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 10:01 AM

here's some I think will never get released:

Cliff Hangers! (1979, NBC). As much as I'd like to be proved wrong, I sincerely doubt this will ever come out, unless the same folks from Australia who put out Darkroom are willing to take a chance.

Andy:

I would love to see this show released too, but I agree with you that it is truly a long shot at best.

Darby

#26 of 171 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,592 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted May 13 2013 - 10:38 AM

Based on its history and treatment by AMC I'm never expecting to see Remember WENN receive a DVD release.  It was reportedly slated for a fifth season, but was cancelled when new management took over AMC.  That was way back when they first started putting commercials between programs and began driving the channel into the ground.  At only 56 episodes it should be an easy release and possible seller as it *did* air on CBS for a while so got larger exposure than a cable only channel.

#27 of 171 kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,001 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 11:58 AM

i have a felling we will never see the final season of black sheep quadron. as for unreleased shows garrison's gorrilla's and twelve o'clock high still have to show up on dvd format.

#28 of 171 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,532 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 07:16 AM

Turn On!  the one episode, Laugh In wannabe, ABC fiasco.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#29 of 171 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,915 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 07:34 AM

Really? Since when does that stop you?

hi neil,

i am disappointed that you would revert to acting that childish.

#30 of 171 HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,257 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 07:57 AM

A proper WKRP in Cincinnati will never be released.

I wonder how much it'd cost to do this uncut say available to purchase only online through Fox, as a manufactured-by-order or limited release, I know it'd be expensive no doubt but at least it'd be something for the hardcore fans as a possibility. Dreams, you know.

#31 of 171 Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,120 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted May 14 2013 - 01:39 PM

I wonder how much it'd cost to do this uncut say available to purchase only online through Fox, as a manufactured-by-order or limited release, I know it'd be expensive no doubt but at least it'd be something for the hardcore fans as a possibility. Dreams, you know.

As others have said, it's a music rights nightmare. As much demand as there has been for WKRP, they would have did it already if it were viable.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#32 of 171 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,915 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 01:46 PM

i dont know anything about the show, but if it was that popular, i think it will eventually come out.

#33 of 171 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,915 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 01:55 PM

the music rights issues remind me of a bunch of vultures fighting over a rat.

they peck and claw at each other, make all sorts of noises.

and they finally realize that no bird is getting the rat.

they finally wise up, lay their egos to rest, and walk away with something.

• Ron1973 likes this

#34 of 171 Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,011 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 07:29 PM

I doubt that The Hot L Baltimore will get released. While I would love to see it again, it only lasted one season so the chances are pretty slim.

I would also have to include Get Christie Love in this category. While I would buy both Hot L Baltimore and Get Christie Love in a heartbeat if offered. Even MOD.

Edited by Brian Himes, May 14 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#35 of 171 JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 01:47 AM

Isn't if funny that most so really covet "older " programming than what's currently on? We're the shows really that we'll done? Or is it nostalgia? Maybe we missed an episode due to having to go to church or something? And this is our way of filling in that hole?

Any thoughts?

Or maybe television really was that good before VCR's?

James

#36 of 171 jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 933 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 04:25 AM

Isn't if funny that most so really covet "older " programming than what's currently on? We're the shows really that we'll done? Or is it nostalgia?

Any thoughts?

Before 2011, I would have thought older programming was better than what is currently on.  But after going on a huge buying binge of tv season dvd sets over 2011 and 2012, I've come to the realization a lot of older stuff was outright cheesy and/or no better produced than current tv shows. 

In my particular case, I think I was also concurrently going through a "midlife crisis" over the last few years, and pining for pop culture stuff from my youth.  Watching these old tv shows again through the eyes of a middle aged adult, I was wondering how exactly I was fascinated by such tv shows when I was a kid or teenager.  (ie. TV shows like Magnum PI, Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazzard, Miami Vice, The A-Team, MacGyver, The Incredible Hulk, Charlie's Angels, Rockford Files, Bionic Woman, Airwolf, the original Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, etc ...).

I strongly suspect nostalgia is the primary motivation, than the production values, writing quality, fx, casting, etc ...

TV shows which were on after I finished college, seem to have no emotional attachment nor any nostalgia value for me.  Even shows that were better produced and had similar themes/stories to many 80's and 70's shows.

Edited by jcroy, May 15 2013 - 04:35 AM.

#37 of 171 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,833 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 15 2013 - 04:34 AM

I strongly suspect nostalgia is the primary motivation, than the production values, writing quality, fx, casting, etc ...

Sure and I think just plain old personal preference plays a part too. Whether it's TV or movies or music, there's an era for many people that just feels 'right' over newer stuff.

#38 of 171 jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 933 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 04:42 AM

Sure and I think just plain old personal preference plays a part too. Whether it's TV or movies or music, there's an era for many people that just feels 'right' over newer stuff.

Wonder if the "reminiscence bump" theory can explain this.

http://www.slate.com...etter_than.html

http://en.wikipedia....miniscence_bump

Edited by jcroy, May 15 2013 - 04:50 AM.

#39 of 171 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,932 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted May 15 2013 - 07:04 AM

I doubt that The Hot L Baltimore will get released. While I would love to see it again, it only lasted one season so the chances are pretty slim.

I would also have to include Get Christie Love in this category. While I would buy both Hot L Baltimore and Get Christie Love in a heartbeat if offered. Even MOD.

I agree with you about Hot L (one I'd forgotten to mention. I knew there'd be a few I'd forget, like that and No Soap Radio and, I'm sure, many others).

As for Christy Love, at least the pilot movie was released. It's still available if you don't have it yet (and it's quite cheap, about $5.00).

#40 of 171 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,228 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 07:44 AM

Nostalgia plays a part in my collecting. It seems a lot of the older shows have higher quality then the newer shows, but that's just my opinion. The favorite thing for me on watching TV Shows and Movies on home video is the fact I don't have to cope with the massive amounts of advertisements that one has to cope with when watching "Appointment" TV. When I watch a show, nobody butts in to hawk something I'm not interested in, and nothing comes up on the screen to obscure something I'm trying to watch. I adopted this method of watching TV in the fall of 2006, and I don't see myself returning to watching something "live" anytime soon. The number of DVDs I've purchased has declined considerably this past year, but that's because I've bought most of the shows I want to watch. My collection has swelled to the point where it might just outlast me!

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,337 :biggrin: ( 751 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,406   :B)   Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users