Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What's on your Weekend Viewing List?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1597 replies to this topic

#241 of 1598 OFFLINE   larryKR

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted August 24 2013 - 11:56 PM

Watched the Korean gangster film "NEW WORLD" Saturday night. I liked it very much. It's more story than action which makes it worth seeing in my opinion.

#242 of 1598 OFFLINE   Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Screenwriter

• 1,451 posts
  • LocationThe wilds of Pennsylvania

Posted August 25 2013 - 01:34 PM

I finally got a copy of Shane (Blu-ray) and watched that yesterday. The night scenes are very dark, some of the darkest I've seen on a catalog Blu-ray release. Besides making my way through all 256 episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents/The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, I also have a Netflix Blu-ray of An Affair To Remember, a movie I've never really watched in its entirety.

#243 of 1598 ONLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Screenwriter

• 2,506 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted August 29 2013 - 11:29 AM

The Red Riding trilogy.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#244 of 1598 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,889 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 30 2013 - 04:11 AM

Last weekend in spite of reviewing responsibilities, I managed to watch the first two Roland Winters/Charlie Chans in the latest box set. If nothing else comes in for me to review today or tomorrow (once I finish up with Sons of Anarchy), I'll be looking at a long weekend free and plan to finish the Chan box and start on The Bowery Boys.

On the Blu-ray front, I'll probably watch the Streisand/A Star Is Born which I recently got on sale.

#245 of 1598 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 5,091 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted August 30 2013 - 05:32 AM

I've been putting off watching Take Shelter because I'm exhausted by the time I get home every night, so that's on tap for the weekend.  Everyone says Michael Shannon is fantastic in the movie and I really want to be paying attention/awake through the whole thing.  I also assume I'll be doing more Cheers S4 and some movie tomorrow at the theater (title TBA)).

#246 of 1598 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts

Posted August 30 2013 - 06:53 AM

It is Labor Day weekend, so I'm hoping to use my apartment pool for the last time this summer.As for planned viewing:Seven Days In MayI Am A Fugitive From A Chain GangHeaven Can Wait. (Lubitsch)Local HeroAnd TCM is showing early Hitchcocks, so may watch a few of those (Murder, Blackmail, Lodger)

#247 of 1598 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,333 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 30 2013 - 07:47 AM

Hopefully this weekend(shockingly, no out of town guests...yet)...Mud(finally)Cinema Paradiso(177 minute version)Pillow Book(UK BD)

#248 of 1598 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,417 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 30 2013 - 08:13 AM

I reallllllllly want to watch Cinema Paradiso again myself sometime soon. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#249 of 1598 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,312 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted August 30 2013 - 01:32 PM

Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh 

Sword in the Stone

Return to Neverland

Robin Hood (Disney)

and start Rome: The Complete Series

Edited by dana martin, August 30 2013 - 04:37 PM.

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#250 of 1598 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 30 2013 - 02:12 PM

I am going to get caught up on TV.  First, I have 2 episodes left of Breaking Bad Season 5 on Netflix, then 3 of the final season on the DVR.  Then I have 3 episodes of True Blood and 3 of The Newsroom on the DVR.

#251 of 1598 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 5,122 posts

Posted August 30 2013 - 03:30 PM

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]I've been putting off watching [/color]Take Shelter[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);] because I'm exhausted by the time I get home every night, so that's on tap for the weekend.  Everyone says Michael Shannon is fantastic in the movie and I really want to be paying attention/awake through the whole thing.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]Yep, Shannon gives one of the better performances (in Take Shelter) that I've seen in recent years.  He really does intensity well.  (He is pretty terrific in a supporting role on Boardwalk Empire as well.)  [/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]Not sure what the weekend holds.  A buddy and I have been working through season sets of Prison Break (in S02 right now) and if he shows up we'll probably watch 2 to 4 episodes.  Being Labor Day weekend he may have other commitments and I'll probably hit the DVR backlog.  I have a few television shows and films back-logged that I need to get to before the fall television season starts.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]- Walter.[/color]

Edited by Walter Kittel, August 30 2013 - 03:31 PM.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#252 of 1598 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,487 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 31 2013 - 04:14 AM

I'll be watching plenty of blu-rays this weekend along with using my Apple TV and Warner Archive Instant services.  I did view the BDs of Flat Top and Only the Valiant on Friday.  Today, I'm thinking of watching Penny Senerade on BD and some gangster classics on Warner Archive Instant.

#253 of 1598 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,487 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 01 2013 - 04:35 PM

I'll be watching plenty of blu-rays this weekend along with using my Apple TV and Warner Archive Instant services.  I did view the BDs of Flat Top and Only the Valiant on Friday.  Today, I'm thinking of watching Penny Senerade on BD and some gangster classics on Warner Archive Instant.

I watched the blu-rays of Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye and Penny Serenade on Saturday.  Today, I watched Illegal on Warner Archive Instant, a 1955 film noir starring Edward G. Robinson with a very good supporting cast.

#254 of 1598 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 5,122 posts

Posted September 01 2013 - 05:13 PM

I viewed Cloud Atlas for the first time on Blu-ray yesterday (with my normal viewing buddy - His second viewing of the film.)   Not a perfect film; but I believe that flawed would be too strong an adjective to describe my impressions.  I certainly admired its ambition and the sweep of the film.  I liked the cast, although I thought that the reuse of actors hurt my initial viewing as I was distracted by playing the 'which actor is that? under the makeup game' vs. focusing on the narrative at points in the film.   The makeup varied quite a bit as well with some being effective and some frankly quite bad.  

The fragmented narrative helped keep the runtime (172 minutes) manageable and I never found the pace to lag for such a long film.  The themes were well defined and I enjoyed the linking of the various story elements of the film.   I will probably enjoy my eventual second viewing more with less distraction and more focus on the ideas of the film.  Some nice references to earlier films of the cast and crew that were sprinkled throughout the film also boosted my enjoyment level.  Some decent misdirection in a few scenes as well.  

We only got to one episode of Prison Break due to the runtime of Cloud Atlas.

- Walter.

Edited by Walter Kittel, September 01 2013 - 05:16 PM.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#255 of 1598 OFFLINE   Frank Ha

Frank Ha

Second Unit

• 355 posts
  • LocationLand of mole, tlayudas and chapulines

Posted September 01 2013 - 06:08 PM

We're watching "This Happy Breed" right now. My wife just got a phone call from a friend in Honduras so we have the movie on pause until they finish talking.So far the movie is quite good. It's the first disc we have watched (or actually we are still watching) in the David Lean Directs Noel Coward Collection.Well, Phoebe just got off the phone so it's back to the movie.
"And in the end, the only thing you really own is... your story.  Just trying to live a good one" - The Drover 

#256 of 1598 OFFLINE   Frank Ha

Frank Ha

Second Unit

• 355 posts
  • LocationLand of mole, tlayudas and chapulines

Posted September 02 2013 - 05:49 AM

We finished the movie last night . We both liked it, but I liked it more. Looking forward to seeing more from the Collection, although it will probably take a while since it is taking a long time to settle into our new home here in Mexico.
"And in the end, the only thing you really own is... your story.  Just trying to live a good one" - The Drover 

#257 of 1598 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,306 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted September 03 2013 - 08:44 AM

Started a free trial of Netflix (again) and watched Jackie Brown, Sexy Beast, Madagascar 3, The Great Gatsby [3D BD], The Muppet Movie [BD], Cleanflix, and Reincarnated. After that last one, I felt like Odorama cards with various forms of weed smoke should be included with every copy.

Edited by Stephen_J_H, September 03 2013 - 08:44 AM.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#258 of 1598 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,487 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 03 2013 - 08:47 AM

I didn't watch anything after Sunday with Monday being a holiday here.

#259 of 1598 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,889 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 06 2013 - 04:31 AM

I'll be busy with reviewing duties this weekend and so I doubt I'll get to The Bowery Boys yet again. I did manage to finish the Chan DVD box last weekend but I was otherwise to occupied with work to watch anything else I had waiting.

#260 of 1598 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,487 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 06 2013 - 07:12 PM

Watched the recent BD release of The Fugitive tonight.  Warner did an excellent job with this latest BD after screwing the pooch with the previous BD release.  Tomorrow, I'll watch Now You See Me BD and then go from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users