Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Gravity

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
350 replies to this topic

#41 of 351 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,525 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 06 2013 - 01:37 PM

I watched Gravity in IMAX 3D. This is the most emotional movie I've seen in a long time.It was on the whole spectacular.

#42 of 351 OFFLINE   Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Supporting Actor

• 942 posts

Posted October 06 2013 - 03:11 PM

Excellent movie that should be seen in 3D on the largest screen you can get to.  Unfortunately, the shots used in the movie are the type that often result in cross talk on home displays.

Other than the possibility of problems for home viewers, this joins the ranks of Avatar, Hugo, and Life of Pi for well done modern 3D movies.

#43 of 351 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,238 posts

Posted October 06 2013 - 05:34 PM

Saw it this weekend. Visually it was amazing. Saw it in IMAX 3D. I usually never get motion sickness, but I did get minor queasiness when Bullock first got detached from the shuttle and the POV shots of her spinning through space. But in a way, I kind of liked it because my attitude was "if this is what it really feels like........"

Story was good, was kept lean at 90 minutes. I think I did get a little worn out on Bullock talking to herself a lot, even though I understand why. Noticed they had to make a compromise with the opening text saying there is nothing to carry sound in space for the people who would have gone "Where the hell is the sound of all this stuff getting destroyed" I kind of wished they didn't do that and just let the people who don't get it figure it out.

Had some panic when

Spoiler

Also what was the movie going for with

Spoiler

and

Spoiler

Edited by WillG, October 06 2013 - 05:35 PM.

STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#44 of 351 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,261 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted October 06 2013 - 05:46 PM

SPOILERTo me the last shot of the film was simply......GRAVITY
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#45 of 351 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,261 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted October 06 2013 - 05:51 PM

Further boxoffice analysis from www.boxofficeguru.com

THIS WEEKEND Alfonso CuarĂ³n's outer space survival thriller Gravity defied conventions both creatively and commercially and smashed the opening weekend record for October with a sensational $55.6M, according to estimates, to lead the North American box office accounting for half of all ticket sales in the top ten. The Warner Bros. release starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney took advantage of a perfect storm of sensational reviews, strong starpower, and awards buzz attracting a huge turnout which was especially impressive given that it was an original film with no built-in audience. It opened like a summer tentpole.Gravity averaged a scorching $15,538 from 3,575 theaters over the weekend and was a major shot in the arm to the 3D and IMAX formats. With its captivating visuals and intense use of CG effects, moviegoers found it a film experience worthy of paying premium ticket prices for. A mind-boggling 80% of the weekend gross came from 3D screens. That's double the rate that many 3D action films enjoy these days. $11.2M, or 20%, of the gross came from the 323 IMAX locations for a sizzling $34,754 average.Both Bullock and Clooney set new opening weekend career records with Gravity. Bullock just gave herself a new benchmark this past June with the $39.1M debut of The Heat while Clooney, who doesn't normally have big openings outside of his signature Ocean's franchise, beat his previous best of $42.9M set way back in 1997 with the mega-flop Batman & Robin.After this weekend, Bullock cements her status as Hollywood's most bankable actress. Four of her last six films have opened to more than $30M. She was the primary lead in all four and none were franchise movies with built-in audiences. With the romantic comedy The Proposal, the football drama The Blind Side, the buddy cop comedy The Heat, and the space thriller Gravity, the Oscar-winning actress sells across all genres. That sets her apart from Angelina Jolie who struggles to open movies outside of her action safety zone.After generating ample awards buzz by playing a trifecta of key film festivals - Venice, Telluride, and Toronto - Gravity became red hot and then generated fantastic reviews from all around. The PG-13 pic became that rare breed - a prestige picture with broad commercial appeal. Strong marketing helped attract the sci-fi crowd allowing it to pull from multiple audience segments. Friday kicked off with a solid $17.5M while Saturday saw an impressive 31% surge to $23M. Sunday is estimated to drop by 35% to $15M.For October, the space disaster film beat the month's previous record for best opener which was $52.6M set in 2011 by Paranormal Activity 3. The margin of victory may not have been too much, and the horror hit didn't have premium ticket prices to boost grosses, however Gravity's performance was amazing considering it was an original film. The other seven biggest October openings of all-time are either sequels or animated films and until now, no original live-action film had ever opened to north of $40M in either September or October.According to studio research, Gravity skewed more towards the guys with 54% of the audience being male. Not surprising for a movie set almost entirely in space. A very high 59% were over the age of 35 and audience satisfaction was good as the pic earned an A- grade from CinemaScore.Produced for roughly $100M, Gravity opened like a summer blockbuster. In fact, it debuted better than every live-action film released since June's World War Z starring Clooney's pal Brad Pitt. Plus the road ahead seems bright given the positive buzz and older audience. That means holdover competition it will give to upcoming mature-skewing adult dramas Captain Phillips and The Fifth Estate will be even stronger.Gravity is just getting started with international territories but it's already looking to become a fall behemoth with the majority of fans paying extra for the 3D and IMAX formats, just like their North American comrades. 27 markets opened this weekend delivering $27.4M with 3D accounting for an average of 70% of the gross. Russia led with $8.1M, 75% from 3D. The format's share in Germany was a phenomenal 97% this weekend and 95% in Italy. Key markets like Brazil, Korea, Mexico, France, Japan, and the U.K. are still to come and the studio is still trying to confirm a release in China, the most lucrative overseas market for 3D and IMAX content.

Edited by Tino, October 06 2013 - 05:52 PM.

It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#46 of 351 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted October 06 2013 - 06:26 PM

Not a 3D guy, but saw Gravity in IMAX 3D and very glad I did.  As others have indicated this is a film to see on the biggest screen available. 

As far as the film goes ... wow ... quite the heart-pumping ride. 

Edited by rich_d, October 06 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#47 of 351 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 5,024 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted October 06 2013 - 06:51 PM

All three of us loved Gravity in 3D.  Very easily in the top three movies I've seen in the theater this year; I wasn't bored and my attention didn't wander at all.  This is a captivating movie from beginning to end: I especially loved the opening 13 minute "unbroken" shot introducing the environment and characters.  That was a work of genius in my book. 

I don't know if any home environment would be able to replicate the theater experience, but I can't wait to see this one again.  Mesmerizing, intelligent, captivating, gorgeous...just wow.

#48 of 351 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,525 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 06 2013 - 07:55 PM

Also what was the movie going for with

Spoiler
I took it as an interlude. Stone was exhausted, and in the first moment of relief fell asleep. And in 0g, I think you curl up like that naturally.  and
Spoiler

#49 of 351 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,205 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 07 2013 - 04:13 AM

The Hollywood Reporter: Astronaut Buzz Aldrin reviews 'Gravity'

#50 of 351 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,803 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted October 07 2013 - 05:49 AM

Loved it, I understand the barebones plot was  choice but wish there was a little more skeleton for the great visuals, performance and emotions to hang on.

Only other complaint is that the terrific soundtrack had to compete with the songs the characters chose 2-3 times.

Loved the nods to 2001, I think those were very subtle.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#51 of 351 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,277 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 07 2013 - 06:16 AM

Anytime you get an Astronaut to kick your film with something like:

We're in a very precarious position of losing all the advancements we've made in space that we did 40 years ago, 50 years ago. From my perspective, this movie couldn't have come at a better time to really stimulate the public. I was very, very impressed with it.

You've done something special.  Great link Adam

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#52 of 351 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,803 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted October 07 2013 - 07:00 AM

On the sound:

http://gizmodo.com/t...dium=socialflow

http://www.wired.com...lence-composer/

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#53 of 351 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,891 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 07 2013 - 08:12 AM

Neil deGrasse Tyson is a little less impressed compared to Buzz Aldrin. I thought the movie was thrilling for all the reasons cited already. 
Spoiler

#54 of 351 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,420 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 07 2013 - 09:05 AM

I'm glad there's killjoy nerds like Tyson to tell us that a work of fiction wasn't factually accurate.

#55 of 351 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 8,046 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted October 07 2013 - 09:05 AM

I ended up seeing the first hour or so of the film *twice* in order to see the film as a whole.  I mentioned elsewhere (LCVG) that the first viewing was interrupted by some poor gentlemen having a heart attack (during the fire and her escape into the Soyuz escape capsule).  The film was stopped and the theater eventually evacuated.  The film had been exceptionally engrossing and thrilling up to that point.

I took in a second (and first full) viewing the next day.  The first hour remained equally as potent, and the remainder of the film living up to and exceeding what had come before.  Cuaron and his wonderful team were really working on another level for this film.  I did see it in IMAX (babyMAX) 3D, and it was worth every penny.  The film spends every minute with Dr. Ryan Stone, and it feels almost real time.  I find "reviewing" it to be a challenge because it was a fairly overwhelming experience, potent and exhausting in the best ways cinema can be.  Gravity doesn't lend itself to prose descriptions, and how many times can I say "awesome" to convey what it was like to watch it.

The incredible technical skill used to choreograph these flawless shots was all in service of connecting the audience to the emotions and journey the lead character is on.  There are some more high-minded elements at play (the "in utero" shot of Bullock, the frog, etc), and I found them smoothly integrated in a non-obtrusive way.  I think Bullock and Clooney are both pretty sensational, and I think Bullock was actually the best possible choice for Dr. Stone.  She has an under-stated presence that lets you believe she is the same person in first five minutes and in the last five minutes.  I think Clooney's Kowalski projected a professional, calming presence that rang true to his character...even his levity and "every guy"ness demonstrated a purpose. 

In the end, this is a movie made for movie screens.  After a million sequels and high concept hero's journeys, after tie-ins and superheroes and too similar action scenes (some of which I enjoyed, of course), it was almost cleansing to get such an extraordinary movie, made with a master's skill.  A film made to NOT simply sell something else, but rather to awe the audience for the price of their movie ticket, to briefly connect them with each other and with everything else.  This was the kind of film we remember seeing for the first time, the kind that rewards self-professed film lovers with something unique and special.  Cuaron is making a habit of amazing.

Gravity was not perfect, but I also don't think it could have been any better.

Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#56 of 351 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,891 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 07 2013 - 09:19 AM

#57 of 351 OFFLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,241 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted October 08 2013 - 06:44 AM

I'm glad there's killjoy nerds like Tyson to tell us that a work of fiction wasn't factually accurate.

Note that Tyson says he enjoyed Gravity.  It's Gawker saying that Tyson says the movie is crap, not Tyson himself.

I don't think pointing stuff like this out (either by him or by Phil Plait) makes him a killjoy.

#58 of 351 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,420 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 08 2013 - 06:49 AM

When he said how the stars were in the wrong position in sky in Titanic, I'd give him that because that movie prided itself on its historical accuracy and attention to detail but pointing out the fake parts of a movie that is obviously fiction is just lame.

#59 of 351 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted October 08 2013 - 09:08 AM

I saw this last Saturday in 3-D.  I was blown away.  Most of the superlatives above do it justice.  Such a well-crafted film experience.

Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#60 of 351 OFFLINE   Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 935 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted October 09 2013 - 05:17 AM

Enjoyed the film.  Bothered by the mishandling of physics in certain scenes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users