What's new

Crystal Balls (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I want to start this thread by saying I don't want to to criticize anyone or start any arguements. I just want to say that although I don't post that much, I have read most threads religiously for about 5 years and I am wondering what the purpose is being these vague cyrstal ball type statements? Bottom line is that this is a hobby, not some kind of magic show, so if you know something, please be forthright. Why the suspense? If the purpose is to save someone's rep in case a distributor changes their mind on a release, why not just say that? Honestly, I sometimes get the impression that some people get off on making others feel that they " are in the know" and are nore knowledegable than the rest of us. Sorry for the rant, but it irritates me sometimes because I'm a serious collector looking for real information not vague generalities of "this might happen: I recently posted about the rural shows and someone repesonded with a vague indication that they were coming out soon with no details. What purpose does that serve? Give me real info please. If it's meant to be fun and build some kind of suspense, it isn't. Again, no offense to anyone. It's just a dissenting opinion. For those doinf this, I would just like to know the purpose.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Just a final thought on this. If someone knows somebody on "the inside" and wants to protect them, what not just say nothing at all until a release is officially announced? What is the point of saying "I hear that a certain show with a western gunslinger with a brown jacket may be on the way?" I am a serious collector. I don't want to play guessing games. Just so you you know, I am not directing this at a single person. I have seen quite a few that do this. Said my peace. Thanks

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Frank,This can be an easy or difficult question to answer because I don't knowwho in particular you are citing or what exactly has been said.Let me try to address your question from my perspective since I am someonethat occasionally will hint at upcoming releases....The studios keep release information very close to their chests. It's quiteunderstandable given the fact that they all compete against each other insecuring optimal dates to release their product. There are members on this forum that know people in the home entertainmentindustry and through conversation with them, learn sensitive data that isunderstood should not be shared openly. What I presume you read from timeto time are these individuals attempting to provide a vague hint about productthat may be related to current discussion.I have done it from time to time in an attempt to assure members that thereis studio movement on a release they may be concerned about. When I post information, it must be as vague as possible to protect the source.I am somewhat confident that other similar sorts of posts that you read frommembers here are being done under the same circumstances.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Ronald Epstein said:
Frank,This can be an easy or difficult question to answer because I don't knowwho in particular you are citing or what exactly has been said.Let me try to address your question from my perspective since I am someonethat occasionally will hint at upcoming releases....The studios keep release information very close to their chests. It's quiteunderstandable given the fact that they all compete against each other insecuring optimal dates to release their product.There are members on this forum that know people in the home entertainmentindustry and through conversation with them, learn sensitive data that isunderstood should not be shared openly. What I presume you read from timeto time are these individuals attempting to provide a vague hint about productthat may be related to current discussion.I have done it from time to time in an attempt to assure members that thereis studio movement on a release they may be concerned about. When I postinformation, it must be as vague as possible to protect the source.I am somewhat confident that other similar sorts of posts that you read frommembers here are being done under the same circumstances.
Ronald. Thanks much for the response. I do apologize if I came off as critical or nasty. That was not the intention. I guess it boils down to a matter of preference. While some folks might enjoy a hint as to what's happening, to me it's just as frustrating to take a guess as it is to not know anything at all. Like I said, personal choice. I want to also state for the record, that I was talking about a pattern of posting, not a particular member(s). I have a lot of respect for the folks who post here. I am consistantly impressed with the wealth of knowledge that our forum members possess. I learn new things daily. Wasn't trying to offend anyone.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Based upon what Ronald said, I think my frustration should be better directed at the distributors secrecy themselves. I was thinking about it and it makes little sense to me that they apparantly hold on to their info for dear life to the last possible minute. I mean, realistically speaking, they are not competing for the "exact' same consumer dollar due to their exclusive rights to a show. For example, I can fully understand how Pepsi might hold a hypothetical new formula close to their vest so a completing soda company doesn't get hold of it and use it first. Home video doesn't work that way. For example, CBS holds exclusive rights to Happy Days, so now other company can beat them to a release. So my question then becomes, what do the companies really have to gain by holding out on info? To build suspense? Honestly, whether I would heard about Bilko being released now or two months from now, It's really not going to affect my proclivity to buy the product one way or another. I kind of laugh to myself about the whole secrecy thing. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this hobby but releasing classic TV shows is not quite the Manhattan Project. Distributors seem to think that releasing the rest of the Mod Squad is of the same magnitiude as a new long range missile we are developing

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Frank,

I can understand why you feel the way you do.

I believe the studios are warranted in their methods of wanting to
keep release dates secret. The last thing a studio wants is to put
their product up against another studio's product on the same release
date where the consumer may only have single choice.

...and it's not just the studios. It's pretty much standard practice
everywhere for companies to keep their products under wraps until
the very last minute.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
This place is as good as any to thank Gary OS and the other folks that share the info that they do. I'm sure most of us are happy to get any early news and don't have a sense of entitlement to any more than what they already give.
wapld5.jpg

Ron,

I'm 99% sure that this is what the OP is referring to and although I can see his point, the "crystal ball" issue doesn't bother me at all.

It's similar to a news reporter that's protecting their sources.

I could list several other things that qualify as comments I'd prefer to see disappear from here, as we all can, when we're part of a forum such as this one.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I wandered into this thread thinking i could buy a crystal ball for a good price......oh well the search continues. :D

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Just so you are aware, I was not referring to Gary or anyone else specifically. I also have learned much good infor from Gary's (and others) posts the last few years. I'm thankful for them. I will just reiterate that it was a pattern of posting I was speaking of, not a person. I regret posting this as I was basically venting and I feel bad it caused so much controversy.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
I wandered into this thread thinking i could buy a crystal ball for a good price......oh well the search continues. :D

ogcihc.jpg
Compliments of HTF :D

Frank Soyke said:
Just so you are aware, I was not referring to Gary or anyone else specifically. I also have learned much good infor from Gary's (and others) posts the last few years. I'm thankful for them. I will just reiterate that it was a pattern of posting I was speaking of, not a person. I regret posting this as I was basically venting and I feel bad it caused so much controversy.
Forget it :) It happens to almost everyone on these forums eventually.

I will give you an inside tip on one reason someone doesn't post crystal ball info anymore. There's a couple of posters here that went the "sarcastic" posting route when someone here posted a tip that, due to a studio's change of plans, didn't pan out.

The crystal-ball source went into retirement for that reason.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Frank, as the person who coined the "crystal ball" phrase here at HTF when referring to upcoming releases, it was hard for me not to take what you initially wrote personally. So I just want to go on the record with a couple of things:

1) I can only speak for myself when I write this, but God knows it's true. I don't "get off" on having inside info like someone dangling the proverbial carrot in front of the horse. I've only written things in the past with the purest of intentions. It was simply about sharing good news, as best I was able without revealing a source or upsetting a source, with my fellow HTF friends. And that's all it ever was. As I said, I can't speak for others who divulge insider info, but my motives were not self-serving. Ron has said the same thing.

2) I've actually stopped being the one to initiate hints any more with what I hear/read from my "crystal balls", in large part, for the very reason Jeff stated above: I'd get flak for it if something didn't materialize as I had hinted. But the truth is studios do change their plans, on the fly sometimes, and dvds that are on the schedule can and are pulled from time to time. Recently I've backed up other "crystal ball" hints if I knew them to be true, but that's it. I'm sticking to my vow from late last year not to initiate such posts anymore. And after today, I'm probably not even going to back up other hints about upcoming releases. I'm tired of having my motives and sources questioned when all I ever wanted to do was share good news with my friends here.

Gary "thanks to Ron, Travis and Jeff for sharing their thoughts - take care" O.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I sympathise with Frank's post. He has a legitimate concern, looking fromthe outside in.I also read Jeff Willis' response above and an immediate unfortunate memorycame to my head. It was a perfect response about how scenarios go very wrong.As someone looking somewhat from the inside out, I understand studio secrecyand how sometimes, when they THEY try to do the right thing, it can go very wrong.We used to have many studio chats on this forum. In the near future, we hope tobe able to repost the transcripts of the chats we have had over the years in a specialarea.When these live studio chats occurred, members would ask about when theirfavorite titles were going to be released. Pending on what studio we were talkingwith, they would either be forthright in their response or somewhat cagey.I remember it was Warner Bros. that decided they would give our forum an exclusiveannouncement on an upcoming release. For the life of me, right now I can't recallwhat it was. The membership was very excited about the news. However, as doesregularly happen, the studio ran into a snafu that caused them to put that title on thebackburner. When the title failed to be released as promised, the membership heregave the studio hell. It was if they were promised something and it was taken away.This is just one of the many reasons why it is almost impossible to get the studios todo a live chat with us anymore. The membership holds them accountable to everyword they speak. The reality is, plans change for some unseen reason. Sometimes,the consumer just doesn't understand the reasons why, and if there is too muchinformation out there already, it causes considerable backlash.Here's another example...Warner knew early on that they would release The Bowery Boys to DVD. Theymade that announcement here. It took (I am guessing) five years for those discsto be released. There are valid reasons for that delay, one of which was due to thechanging climate of how classic films were being sold. But the fact that many membersfelt that a promise was made to them and nothing was happening, caused a considerableamount of negative feedback towards the studio.Let me stop here for a moment and say that anytime anyone gives backlash toWarner Bros. in this manner, I highly infuriated. They are the one studio thatI feel cares about their library and consumers more than anyone. I knew that the studio was still committed to the project. I couldn't really talk aboutit other than to try and calm the waters, repeatedly posting things like "be patient, thestudio has not given up on these films." However, anyone from the outside looking incouldn't even accept my promise that the studio hadn't given up on them.I can understand why people are reluctant to post "tips" here. Jeff is right on the moneywhen he says that those persons are held accountable when things don't pan out.Maybe this better explains all the secrecy. I think there are people here like myself, Garyand others who are privy to some studio plans, who try and share vague tips when weare able. It's an attempt to say, "be patient, we are hearing things." At the same time,it's important to always protect your sources, so that information is going to be very limited.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Gary, count me as one of the members who always appreciated the "crystal ball" and I would never try to blame you for any snafus that came about. Your little hints were gems that gave me hope, that all was not lost for the classic TV fan. I don't understand why some members would get angry if "possible" releases didn't happen. Things happen, people get flat tires, unexpected things happen all the time. When I get disappointed that things don't happen, I try to remember the axiom: No one is guaranteed tomorrow. Gary, please remain active on the boards, and please give us little hints from time to time, I'm sure I speak for the majority of the members who appreciate them, and don't want to blame you for giving them out.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'm never bothered by the "crystal ball" comments from Gary or Neil either one. I actually appreciate it.

I'm like any other human being; I get impatient at times. Anyone who has seen my posts knows that I'm anxiously awaiting more Beverly Hillbillies. I've heard rumors here and there that Shout! may look into it, not just on here but from a friend of mine on Facebook who's big into Petticoat Junction. The first few months of the year I anxiously awaited to hear something, ANYTHING, that confirmed this. I even posted on the Shout! forum and was given a very nice answer of "that's something we may possibly look into and, hey, having the DVD's would allow you to replace your VHS copies!!!" Here we are almost mid-year and there's nothing been announced.

I saw Neil drop the tidbit of "soon" the other day and my hopes are renewed. If it falls through am I going to be mad at him? Heck no! Plans change, budgets change. A cast member decides to pursue litigation for their piece of the pie. Perhaps what was thought to be unedited episodes were in fact syndication edits. Maybe they got a lead on extras for the set and are going to delay it for a while. Any number of things can happen. It doesn't make Neil or Gary out to be bad guys. They went with the info that was available to them at the time.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Gary OS said:
Frank, as the person who coined the "crystal ball" phrase here at HTF when referring to upcoming releases, it was hard for me not to take what you initially wrote personally. So I just want to go on the record with a couple of things:

1) I can only speak for myself when I write this, but God knows it's true. I don't "get off" on having inside info like someone dangling the proverbial carrot in front of the horse. I've only written things in the past with the purest of intentions. It was simply about sharing good news, as best I was able without revealing a source or upsetting a source, with my fellow HTF friends. And that's all it ever was. As I said, I can't speak for others who divulge insider info, but my motives were not self-serving. Ron has said the same thing.

2) I've actually stopped being the one to initiate hints any more with what I hear/read from my "crystal balls", in large part, for the very reason Jeff stated above: I'd get flak for it if something didn't materialize as I had hinted. But the truth is studios do change their plans, on the fly sometimes, and dvds that are on the schedule can and are pulled from time to time. Recently I've backed up other "crystal ball" hints if I knew them to be true, but that's it. I'm sticking to my vow from late last year not to initiate such posts anymore. And after today, I'm probably not even going to back up other hints about upcoming releases. I'm tired of having my motives and sources questioned when all I ever wanted to do was share good news with my friends here.

Gary "thanks to Ron, Travis and Jeff for sharing their thoughts - take care" O.
Gary, I just want to personally apologize to you if you took my comments the wrong way. As I stated several times, no specific person was targeted. I suppose in retrospect, that I should have not titled it "crystal ball" and called it something else since obviously you felt singled out. I do stick with my origninal statement that I personally don't really care for hints and would prefer nothing to hints if the complete details aren't available. But that's a personal choice. Everyone is different. Either way, I just want to say that I am very appreciative of ALL your posts and look forward to them daily They are always informative and well written. No hard feelings, I hope.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Frank Soyke said:
Gary, I just want to personally apologize to you if you took my comments the wrong way. As I stated several times, no specific person was targeted. I suppose in retrospect, that I should have not titled it "crystal ball" and called it something else since obviously you felt singled out. I do stick with my origninal statement that I personally don't really care for hints and would prefer nothing to hints if the complete details aren't available. But that's a personal choice. Everyone is different. Either way, I just want to say that I am very appreciative of ALL your posts and look forward to them daily They are always informative and well written. No hard feelings, I hope.
As a good friend of Gary's, thanks for the post.

There's not many cyber ppl out there that will offer apologies similar to this.

Thanks for being a stand-up guy here
t8nbpt.jpg

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Frank Soyke said:
Thanks for the reply, Frank. No hard feelings. And as I said earlier, I've pretty much retired my crystal ball anyhow so no worries there. Take care.

Gary "thanks again to everyone for the nice remarks" O.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just want to say that I am very appreciative of ALL your posts and look forward to them daily They are always informative and well written.
Very much agree!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
Thanks for the reply, Frank. No hard feelings. And as I said earlier, I've pretty much retired my crystal ball anyhow so no worries there. Take care.

Gary "thanks again to everyone for the nice remarks" O.
2n7fcp2.jpg

Ronald Epstein said:
Very much agree!
Since my "likes" quota for the day reached the limit :lol: I'll say
2lw3fwk.jpg

Jeff "Emoticon quotas are infinite.....almost" W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks