• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 08:19 PM

Anyone looking to purchase these two Region B films might like to know that Rooster Cogburn looks good, not outstanding, but acceptable overall, with Joe Kidd looking much better than the dvd. Colors, black levels and detail are quite nice and it does not look "processed" from what I can see, which is to say more film like. Glad I purchased both of them and will also be adding The War Wagon and Two Mules For Sister Sarah at some point. And since they are Universal titles both are region free. Wonder if and when they will release them here.

Edited by Brent Avery, May 08 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for the alert. Are these U.K. editions you bought? Are Rooster Cogburn and Joe Kidd also region free? Not that it matters.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   revgen

revgen

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 08:51 PM

They are both region free according to Amazon.co.uk.

http://www.amazon.co...er-21/ref=nosim

http://www.amazon.co...er-21/ref=nosim

#4 of 10 ONLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 764 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted May 08 2013 - 09:47 PM

Anyone looking to purchase these two Region B films might like to know that Rooster Cogburn looks good, not outstanding, but acceptable overall, with Joe Kidd looking much better than the dvd. Colors, black levels and detail are quite nice and it does not look "processed" from what I can see, which is to say more film like. Glad I purchased both of them and will also be adding The War Wagon and Two Mules For Sister Sarah at some point. And since they are Universal titles both are region free. Wonder if and when they will release them here.

I have Two Mules and The War Wagon on the way.  I'll post my thoughts when I get them.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   bronson

bronson

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 06:19 AM

I own both Blu-rays and the picture quality is much better than the DVD´s.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 07:04 AM

I got a look at both Joe Kidd and The War Wagon in the past few days.  Both are easily recommended.  Both films are above average westerns that unfortunately have gotten short shrift on video these past couple of decades.

Joe Kidd is among the best films of Eastwood's western filmography thanks in large part to  an unusually good script for the genre from Elmore Leonard and director John Sturges in top form.  One notable benefit of this new transfer is the signature lighting of DP Bruce Surtees appears to be restored to some semblance of what was seen in theaters back in the summer of '72.  Surtees came by his moniker "The Prince of Darkness" honestly and the dynamic range of Blu-ray reproduces his low key lighting with aplomb (did I just say "aplomb").  There is a hint of over enhancement in a few shots, but not so much as to be distracting in a motion image.  Image sharpness varies from shot to shot, as one might expect from a scope film element of this era, but at its best is beautifully detailed.  Color joins black level as the best of this transfer.  Reds are deep and pure and detail within the most saturated colors is excellent.

Forgetting all the technical jargon, this disc passed my personal best test for image quality.  When I put the disc on late last night, long past my bedtime, I was so struck by the look of one of my favorite western films, a look I have never seen before, that I was loathe to turn if off.  I can guarantee one thing.  My theater will be dark and the popcorn will be hot this evening.

Comments on The War Wagon are similar, though the look of the film is rather different.  Colors don't have quite the "pop" of the Joe Kidd transfer, but certainly have a more solid, "refreshed" look from previous video versions.  One thing that immediately stuck out was the clarity of the audio in evidence during the great Ed Ames' rendition of the title song.  Ames had a terrific voice and an extra bump in volume during the title sequence is a real treat with this disc.

Speaking as a fan of both these films, these discs are now prized additions to my collection.

#7 of 10 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,651 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 09 2013 - 07:12 AM

Thanks Obi, as I ordered five BDs this morning and both of those titles are included in my order.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Second Unit

• 467 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted May 09 2013 - 07:35 AM

Got the 2 Eastwood titles on the way already, so that's good news!

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 311 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted May 09 2013 - 10:25 AM

When I clicked on the links, I found an Amazon "suggestion" for one of my all-time favourite films, Runaway Train in BR. Anyone know if this disc is region-free, or what quality the transfer is? Konchalovsky is shockingly under-represented on both DVD & BR, and I would dearly love to have more from him, especially the Siberiad, and Inner Circle, which is an amazing film (featuring the shockingly under-represented Tom Hulce). Here's the link --

http://www.amazon.co...f=pd_sim_d_h__6

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   BRAD1963

BRAD1963

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback on these.  I'm going to try to import The War Wagon soon. I have the Wayne DVD set with it and always felt that transfer looked quite good, so I am glad the Blu ray looks good.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Universal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users