-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Henry Fonda Film Collection -- DVD

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,352 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 03:55 PM

The Henry Fonda Film Collection is being marketed as a Father's Day gift from Fox, and that's fine.

I've always liked him, and his work.  Back around 1974, I had set up an interview with him for a book on which I was working, and he had to bail on me.

And for a very good reason.  He had just had an implant to control his heart functions.  Good enough for me.  Did he have some underling contact me?  No.

He picked up the phone, called and offered his apologies.

Accepted.  Way accepted.

Fox's new DVD boxed set entitled The Henry Fonda Film Collection is an interestingly mixed bag.  But not because of the quality of the films.

Ten great titles:

Jesse James *

Drums Along the Mohawk *

The Grapes of Wrath

The Return of Frank James *

Immortal Sergeant

The Ox-Bow Incident

My Darling Clementine

Daisy Kenyon

The Longest Day

The Boston Strangler

At least half of these are bono fide classics of the first order.  But here's where it gets interesting.

Every title has been released previously under one banner or another -- one set or another, either singly or in the 147 pound goliath Ford at Fox, which I purchased and treasure.

So, seriously, what have we got here?

If one is a collector -- if you already have Grapes of Wrath on Blu-ray.  If you have Ford at Fox, or single titles, this may not be for you.

However, for the uninitiated, and I presume there are many, this is a treasure trove, and to my mind, it's virtually free.

The three-strip Tech films will all be problematic technically.  I viewed The Return of Frank James last night, and while I loved the film, came away extremely distressed at what Fox had done to it's history.  The people who created these elements should  be taken out in the street and shot down like dogs.

And I'm quoting here.

Horrific sequences interlaced with an occasional okay.  But it's the film that matters, and no one is going to try to do a digital clean-up in the near future on these color classics.

Here's the bottom line as I see it.

If I didn't already have the majority of these films in one Fox collection or another, or as singles, I'd grab this for myself.

But the reality is extremely simple.

If you lack even half these great titles, buy the Collection, and give away what you don't need.

At under $5 a film, there is no downside.

Thinking through this, I'm actually a bit jealous of those who have few or none of these films, as that $40 price beckons for some of the greatest films ever made.

Simple.

Recommended.

RAH

* three-strip Technicolor

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users