What's new

NOTHING impressive about Jurassic Park III (1 Viewer)

David Ruiz

Second Unit
Hello All,

After hearing so much fuss about the Jurrasic Park III DVD (DTS), I went out and bought it and was throughly disapointed. Fist of all, the movie was AWFUL. I prefered the second one, to this one, but of course, the FIRST one is the best!!!

Second of all, the BASS was hardly ever present. Some people mentioned bottoming out their sub. How? Did they have them 50 DBs hot??? There is hardly any bass, just normal bass, just like any other movie....I really thought that I would bottom out my sub with this, but I didn't. Oh well...just goes to show that some people will over-exagerate a movie, just so everyone else will go and spend their money on it too, just to be disapointed!

BTW, *YES*, I do have my system properly calibrated. I checked it 5 or 6 times to make sure it was perfect, and it was. Everything is calibrated to 75 DBs (including the sub) according to the Video Essentials DVD.

Frank Doorhof

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know what kind of setup you use.

But my sub REALLY has had a workout on JP-III.

I loved the bass.

I however do have the suggestion that the bass on JP-III is VERY low, maybe your sub does not handle that low ?

Or the DVD might be faulty.

Greetings from Holland,

Frank

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Don't know if this helps, but I calibrate my sub a tad higher than 75db. You'll find others here do the same. Mine is probably around 80db. At 75 my sub is fairly subdued.

Jeff

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I also get great rumble from my sub on the DTS track of 'JP III'. I also have my sub calibrated a couple of dbs higher than my calibrated level of 80dbs, it reads around 83 or 84 on my SPL meter.
As for the film itself, I thought it was fun. It took the franchise back to it's roots. Plus it had real starpower, I got a real kick watching a great actor like William H. Macy run from a T-Rex! Sure it's not a perfect movie, but it was just fun to watch. ILM really got those kinks worked out of those CGI dinos too, they were spectacular, especially the Spinosaur, he's the stuff nightmares are made of!:frowning:

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
The film is definitely flawed but there is some terrific bass there.The Spino vs. T-Rex showdown
is a great sub workout.

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
Great bass here too so you may want to reconsider your current set up. Also, for the last time I want to state that AVIA and VE are just a simple base a starting point and not the BIBLE (for the religious inclined) so feel free to tweak your system after you are done with them...God won't get mad. ;)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Even on my crappy Polk sub (calibrated to 85db with Avia), I got plenty of room-shaking deep bass with JP3. Plus, I actually enjoyed the movie as a quick 90-minute mindless thrill ride.
You sure your receiver doesn't have the DTS LFE compensation turned down by 10db? Because JP3 was vibrating my naughty bits! :D

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I am getting some serious bass happening on my Velodyne CT-120. The movie is alright, a popcorn movie for sure. I will say that the transfer is stunning. The picture is very beautiful. I have watched it both on my 16:9 55" Mits, and on a friends 16:9 42" Toshiba, and it looks stunning. I also read in a magazine that it is an ISF reference disk.

Matt

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Watch the DD version of the film. As stated in another thread (and I tested this myself with an SPL meter) the bass on the DD track is about 6 dBs louder. Believe me, it adds a lot to the movie over its DTS counterpart.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Interesting, I thought the technical aspects of this film were great. I haven't gone through all of the extras, nor will I, but I was more than satisfied with this DVD. There was plenty of room shaking bass on both the Dolby and DTS versions of the soundtrack.

Regards,

Dan

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
David.. I'm sorry you were dissapointed in the DVD. I'm honestly not sure why you're not getting the earth shaking bass, but this is one of the DVD's i have that will shake picture off the wall in the kitchen!
The most imortiant thing i want to say is, even if something gets praised like mad, its no guarantee that everyone will agree. I would suggest if there is even the most remote of possibilites that you may not like something, rent it first and then it won't be as much of a loss of funds.
That said,i really enjoyed it.:D

Gruson

Second Unit
The Lost World and the original JP have more bass than JP3.

They are also much better movies.

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
My Paradigm Servo-15 almost teard my theater down with this movie...
I cought myself watching the movie with a big ugly grin on my face..Something like this :D

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I was able to feel the bass in the JP3 soundtrack even at "low" volume levels. Believe me, it is there, unless of course there are defective DVD's out there. I had the same feeling the first time I saw JP3 but I liked it a bit better the second time around.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
My receiver doesn't have an option for the +10 for DTS movies. I have a cheap Home Theater I-A-Box system from Philips. *BUT* I bought a 200 Watt 12" sub that goes down to 25hz, and movies like "Fight Club" *TRUELY* shake the whole house from top to bottom when the sub is calibrated to 75dbs. In fact, I don't even like the bass in Fight Club, it is over-powering, and everyone who sits on the couch (where the sub is) is almost thrown off from it, because it has too much bass. When you compare that with Jurassic Park III, you find that the bass is WEAK!

P.S. Another movie that is said to have MORE BASS than Fight Club, is "TOY STORY" so I went out and bought it. Sure enough, WRONG AGAIN. That movie has abosolutely NO BASS ANYWHERE IN THE MOVIE! I even turned up my sub to 80dbs, and I could BARELY feel anything. I should have turned it up to 105dbs, like some of you do here, then MAYBE it would have the bass that most of the people said it did.

BTW, I have all my speakers set to SMALL (even though I have towers for all the channels except for the center) so that the bass would be directed to the sub, and that's how I saw Jurassic Park III, and Fight Club & Toy Story. Then I switched all speakers to LARGE, and still no dice...Jurassic Park has even LESS bass than before, Fight Club has just the right amount of bass, and Toy Story is a joke, with Even LESS than NO BASS!

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
I finally managed to get a receiver that has a DTS LFE adjustment. At +10 my room is going to fall apart from JPIII. My sub is calibrated to 75 Db. Personally, I think the bass is waaaayyyy overcooked and unrealistic, but it sure as hell is fun:). I listened to it on my old receiver, which didn't have DTS LFE trims, and at that point I would agree that the bass is more subdued than the DD track, but still loud as hell. But I respectfully have to disagree with the bass being 4 Db lower. 4 Db is a lot, and I can't hear any difference whatsoever between the two tracks. The importance of having a properly set DTS LFE cannot be understated. Get a receiver that allows you to adjust it. Trust me, you'll be happier in the process.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Is there a certain amount that the DTS LFE trim needs to be adjusted to? I have mine (and the DD LFE trim) at 0. I've never thought about messing with them.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Is there a certain amount that the DTS LFE trim needs to be adjusted to? I have mine (and the DD LFE trim) at 0. I've never thought about messing with them.
It depends on the receiver. The majority of them use 0dB as the default for both DD and DTS (meaning the +10db pad is already taken into account for DTS). But I have seen 2 receivers that use +10dB as the default for DTS and then let you attenuate it back down to 0dB if you want (which you shouldn't). In fact, if JON D had to manually change his receiver to +10dB on the DTS LFE, he's probably running it way too hot (since 0dB is probably the default and correct setting). But again, it depends on the receiver, and you should check your manual to see what the default is.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I meant to say "Toy Story 2" is the DVD I tried out..not part 1, and part 2 is the one that doesn't have any bass (on my system), and it has nothing to do with DTS, since it doesn't have DTS on it, only Dolby Digital. Like I said, I don't think there is anything wrong with my Dobly Digital settings, since Fight Club has *WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY* Too much bass on my system, it has even bottomed out my sub quite a few times even though it is calibrated to 75dbs.

Kami

Screenwriter
Well David I don't know what's wrong...

I am absolutely baffled that you think Toy Story 2 has no bass.

JP3 was one of the DVDs I got for christmas but I haven't tried it out yet (my home theater is back at my place at school...home for the holidays).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks