• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,933 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 02:02 PM

“Undeniable hilarity.” – Mike Clark, USA TODAY

One of the most underrated and quietly subversive American comedies of the past thirty years.”

- Nathan Rabin, THE A.V. CLUB

ISHTAR

Oscar® Winners Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman Star in the

Legendary Comedy Available on Blu-ray For the First Time August 6th

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (May 8, 2013) – Academy Award® winners Warren Beatty (Best Director, Reds, 1981) and Dustin Hoffman (Best Actor,  Kramer vs. Kramer, 1979; Rain Man, 1988) star in writer/director Elaine May’s Director’s Cut of the legendary comedy ISHTAR, debuting for the first time on Blu-ray August 6th from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.  Two terrible lounge singers get booked to play a gig in a Moroccan hotel but somehow become pawns in an international power play between the CIA, the Emir of Ishtar, and the rebels trying to overthrow his regime. The film also stars two-time Oscar® nominee Isabelle Adjani (Best Actress, The Story of Adele H, 1975; Camille Claudel, 1988), Charles Grodin (Rosemary's Baby, The Heartbreak Kid), Jack Weston (Wait Until Dark, Cactus Flower), Oscar nominee Tess Harper (Best Supporting Actress, Crimes of the Heart, 1986) and Oscar nominee Carol Kane (Best Actress, Hester Street, 1975).

Synopsis:

Rogers and Clarke (Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman) are two inept songwriters, down on their luck and desperate for money. Taking the advice of their shifty agent, the duo are whisked off on a tour of the mystical republic of Ishtar. On their arrival, our heroes are separately recruited into spying for opposing sides of a planned revolution, while simultaneously vying for the attention of a gorgeous female freedom fighter (Isabelle Adjani). But Clarke and Rogers make worse spies than they do songwriters, and soon they’re left stranded in the desert with only a blind camel and several CIA assassins for company.

Written and directed by Elaine May, ISHTAR was produced by Warren Beatty. It has a running time of 107 minutes and is rated PG-13.

“Academy Award®” and “Oscar®” are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 19 ONLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,454 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 08 2013 - 02:06 PM

Sony releases Ishtar themselves but gives Oliver! to Twilight Time.  Whatever.

Edited by Rob_Ray, May 08 2013 - 06:19 PM.

• MatthewA likes this

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted May 08 2013 - 02:13 PM

This might be my first BD coaster...

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,933 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 02:16 PM

Rob, I feel your pain.

Sony has been very careful about what they release,

meticulously calculating what will sell for them and what

may not.

To release ISHTAR before Oliver?  Before 1776?  Before 

Murder By Death?  

We all have particular favorites and I bet all of them are 

more worthy than this title.

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,655 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 02:17 PM

So this finally has a locked release date?  I think this was first announced back in 2011.

An unusual release for sure, but I'm glad it's getting released nonetheless.

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,515 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted May 08 2013 - 02:20 PM

I rented the VHS when it first came out. There was one funny joke about a blind camel, but that's it.

I remember the movie posters for this... Two one-sheets side by side with Hoffman and Beatty in one pulling the camel by a rope in another.

I'll consider the blu-ray if it streets for $10.

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted May 08 2013 - 02:23 PM

"I'll consider the blu-ray if it streets for $10."

You are like 5 times more generous than I am...

The only chance I have of picking that up is to cover the "$25 and the shipping is free" on Amazon. I might pay $3 for it.

Edit:

In my theater...my coasters really are stacks of lousy CD/DVD that have come out over the years. Mine is this one...

http://www.amazon.co...s=milli vinilli

Edited by schan1269, May 08 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Supporting Actor

• 980 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted May 08 2013 - 03:52 PM

I'm starting to think blu-ray releases are determined by which movies are the personal favorites of studio execs, rather than any measure of rationality....

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,933 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 04:00 PM

I'm starting to think blu-ray releases are determined by which movies are the personal favorites of studio execs, rather than any measure of rationality....

Oh my goodness...you have no idea how true that is.  It happens.

(and I am not using Sony as an example)

Ronald J Epstein

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Supporting Actor

• 980 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted May 08 2013 - 04:04 PM

I recall reading something about it in the Nick Redman Twilight Time interview here, but I figured that in most cases the execs had to make at least some token business case for a BD release. I can't for the life of me imagine what the business case for Ishtar was like. Perhaps it went something like this:

Studio Exec: I think we should release Ishtar on Blu-ray because - hey everyone, I brought some cake, you can all have a piece!

<whispers to henchman>Quick, release Ishtar on blu while they're all distracted....

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,345 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted May 08 2013 - 06:24 PM

This is what they're releasing???  Really?  I got sucked into seeing it in the theater thinking "how bad can it really be?"  Not the absolute worst movie I've ever seen, but not a good one by a long shot.  Sigh.  But on the positive side, I'm glad it'll be out there for its fans.  Just wish I could say that for a lot more high-profile, award-winning films still unreleased on blu. 

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 02:00 AM

Replace "Oliver!" with "Christine", and you have my first thought on reading the subject line... verbatim! :)

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,427 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted May 09 2013 - 02:10 AM

So this finally has a locked release date?  I think this was first announced back in 2011.

An unusual release for sure, but I'm glad it's getting released nonetheless.

Oh well, I suppose there's hope for Bad Boys 2 then!

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 08:49 AM

Well, I guess this means there will soon be blu-rays of Gigli, Battlefield Earth and Inchon.

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 10:18 AM

Rob, they HAD to release Ishtar themselves as Twilight Time wouldn't touch it with a ten feet pole  :lol:

Kidding aside I am certain there are a few who like this movie but with so desperately few classic releases by Sony this one leaves me speechless. If they had the output of Warner it would be different but Sony is releasing about 3 to 5 older catalog titles per year and one of them is Ishtar????

#16 of 19 ONLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,454 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 09 2013 - 10:30 AM

Rob, they HAD to release Ishtar themselves as Twilight Time wouldn't touch it with a ten feet pole  :lol:

Kidding aside I am certain there are a few who like this movie but with so desperately few classic releases by Sony this one leaves me speechless. If they had the output of Warner it would be different but Sony is releasing about 3 to 5 older catalog titles per year and one of them is Ishtar????

Which title would be hard-pressed to sell 3000 copies?  As sad as it is for me to type this, it may be Oliver!.  Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman are still recognizable names in Hollywood, but does anyone under 50 know who Ron Moody, Mark Lester, Shani Wallis and Oliver Reed are?  Or even Sir Carol Reed for that matter?  One can only hope they've heard of Mr. Dickens.

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,202 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 09 2013 - 12:46 PM

I seem to remember that a handful of copies made it to consumers through retailers back in 2011 before the title was canceled. If that's true then the production costs are already over and done with, and the discs have been stored in a warehouse since then awaiting release. Which means that the choice to release this outright via Sony rather than via a sublicensed label is an outdated one from Sony 2011 and reflects little on home video strategy for Sony 2013.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 06:53 PM

Which title would be hard-pressed to sell 3000 copies?  As sad as it is for me to type this, it may be Oliver!.  Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman are still recognizable names in Hollywood, but does anyone under 50 know who Ron Moody, Mark Lester, Shani Wallis and Oliver Reed are?  Or even Sir Carol Reed for that matter?  One can only hope they've heard of Mr. Dickens.

TT has a niche customerbase that is not really comparable to the average customer outside. Look at their release of As Good as it Gets - probably would have easily sold more than 3000 in wide distribution through Sony but as it is now still not sold out.

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted May 14 2013 - 02:42 PM

Brandon made my point.

Plus I'm far more interested in Ishtar than Oliver! or Christine.

But, of course, not 1776...
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony Pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users