Amityville 3D Blu-ray release confirmed by Scream (aka Shout) Factory

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 of 74 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,420 posts

Posted October 11 2013 - 10:46 AM

You can rent the box set for $20 from 3D Blu-ray Rental.

Actually, it's just for the 3D disk rental--

(Most of their rentals are $5-7, but this's a special case.)

But let's be honest, were you REALLY buying the boxset for A2:the Possession?  ;)

Edited by Ejanss, October 11 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#62 of 74 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,257 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 11 2013 - 12:17 PM

When you wrote "Yes, it's pretty much the same price as buying the set, but at least here, you have the option of NOT keeping it." I read that to mean you could buy the set for $20.  $40 is not pretty much the same.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#63 of 74 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted October 11 2013 - 02:50 PM

During the Q&A session for Richard Fleischer at World 3-D Film Expo I back in 2003, I personally was the one who broached the subject of Amityville 3-D in a question directed from the balcony. I asked him which of his two 3-D films he preferred.

I remember being pleasantly surprised when Fleischer said he prefered Amityville 3-D  over Arena, as I myself happen to think Amityville 3-D was the best live-action theatrical 3-D film of the 1980s, albeit the best of a bad lot.

Ten years on, I do not remember the reasons he cited for his preference. Was it a more pleasant shooting experience overall? Was it in his view a better film? Did he just really dig Mexico City? I regret that I cannot say with certainty.

I am of the impression that video and/or audio recordings were made of all the special guests at the various Expos, so perhaps one day we can listen and learn to what degree our memories are correct.

Message received from Jeff Joseph of Sabucat:

Richard: I will be digging out the Arena and other interviews over the next few months and plan to post some of them.

Thanks,

Jeff

http://3-dfilmexpo.com/

#64 of 74 OFFLINE   pinknik

pinknik

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted October 12 2013 - 09:41 AM

A few nights ago I was finally able to view AMITYVILLE 3-D, which as we all know has the distinction of being the first 3-D movie from the 1980s to be released in the 3-D bluray format. What follows is, for the most part, a technical critique of the 3-D presentation.

Thanks for this critique, GregK.  Just out of curiosity, do you find that Bob Berneir's Spacevision footage looks better than the 80's stuff you've seen?

#65 of 74 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted October 13 2013 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for this critique, GregK.  Just out of curiosity, do you find that Bob Berneir's Spacevision footage looks better than the 80's stuff you've seen?

Thanks, and to answer your question: YES - SpaceVision looks substantially better than most of the single strip 80's material. Certainly with THE BUBBLE. No chromatic aberrations, little to no vignetting, overall uniform left/right focus, etc..  It is clear to me Col. Berneir really wanted this first ever major single strip shot feature technically be the best it could be.  Now with that being said, I have not watched a couple of the other SpaceVision shot 3-D features in a long while, so mileage on those may vary...

• Bob Furmanek likes this

#66 of 74 OFFLINE   pinknik

pinknik

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted October 14 2013 - 07:29 AM

Thanks, and to answer your question: YES - SpaceVision looks substantially better than most of the single strip 80's material. Certainly with THE BUBBLE. No chromatic aberrations, little to no vignetting, overall uniform left/right focus, etc..  It is clear to me Col. Berneir really wanted this first ever major single strip shot feature technically be the best it could be.  Now with that being said, I have not watched a couple of the other SpaceVision shot 3-D features in a long while, so mileage on those may vary...

I watched all of Amityville 3-D yesterday.  It's still fun, but it definitely would have been nice if the transfer had been handled with more care.  One thing I noticed was that in certain shots, one eye would be darker than the other, at least in parts of the frame.    Is that something you noticed?  I found it more disturbing at times than the negative parallax items cut off at the frame (which it has quite a few). Thanks.

#67 of 74 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted October 14 2013 - 05:27 PM

One thing I noticed was that in certain shots, one eye would be darker than the other, at least in parts of the frame.    Is that something you noticed?  I found it more disturbing at times than the negative parallax items cut off at the frame (which it has quite a few). Thanks.

Left/right timing issues were typically inadvertent artifacts of the single strip Arrivision rig, which I too found at times a bit distracting.  These 3-D issues can also often be corrected, or in a few cases, at least minimized.

#68 of 74 OFFLINE   Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 337 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted October 24 2013 - 05:38 PM

My review of the movie itself with a comment on the 3D Blu Ray included:

http://todd3d.blogsp...e-3-d-1983.html

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#69 of 74 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,325 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted March 04 2014 - 07:14 AM

$27.99 on GROUPON.COM

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#70 of 74 OFFLINE   deepsky4565

deepsky4565

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 11:22 PM

Sold Out

#71 of 74 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,325 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted March 11 2014 - 02:33 PM

Received in the mail today! Just bought it for the 3D title.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#72 of 74 ONLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,570 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 05:16 PM

I was glad to be able to pick up the disc, but underwhelmed at the quality - same issues that have been noted by everyone else on here.  Additionally, my active TV has trouble with ghosting on titles like this and Dial M, House of Wax, etc., but this one was the worst in terms of what I've seen on my TV.  It's the only 3D disc I've seen to date where I had to stop and give my eyes a rest halfway through.

#73 of 74 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,420 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 07:46 PM

I finally splurged and rented it from 3DBR this weekend, and....it looks pretty good, AFAICS.

Yes, the ghosting's pretty bad on the pop-outs, but I'm old enough to remember them looking even worse on the big screen.   :wacko:  (I don't think I ever saw one pop out that ever actually worked on the big screen for that entire decade, outside of the theme-park movies.)

At least the dying real-estate agent's hand seemed to be coming "out" of the screen, although the floating seance ball was almost unrecognizable.  Bob F kept saying that a popout-heavy 80's film wouldn't adjust to the parallax of Blu, and while I can't say he's right, I can't say it's perfect either.

As far as the film quality, I remember them looking like that too--A general fuzziness and darkness, and that's what's put me back in time to the 80's more than the actors, the clothes or teenage Meg Ryan.  Just had to stop and realize the 3D movies now look better than they ever did on 80's projection equipment, and the clear depth on a movie made back when conversions didn't exist more than made up for it.

#74 of 74 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,325 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted October 01 2014 - 04:42 AM

$33.49 on Amazon

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users