-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Amityville 3D Blu-ray release confirmed by Scream (aka Shout) Factory

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 of 73 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,345 posts

Posted May 10 2013 - 02:37 PM

Andy Warhol's Frankenstein aka Flesh for Frankenstein was released many years ago by Criterion on video. Maybe they will re-release it 3D? It would be there first feature film in 3D.

Well, that was Bob's whole point:  Criterion would have to pay for it, since Morrissey was too much of a freeloader. 

No word from Shout about who paid for Amityville if MGM didn't, but it must've been worth the expense if Shout did it themselves.

Edited by Ejanss, May 10 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#22 of 73 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,323 posts

Posted May 10 2013 - 02:59 PM

MGM didn't pay for it.

If you'd like to do the Morrissey work for free, I'll send you his phone number! :D

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#23 of 73 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,399 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted May 10 2013 - 04:41 PM

MGM didn't pay for it.

If you'd like to do the Morrissey work for free, I'll send you his phone number! :D

Does someone at Shout like to use the de-noise tool too much. ?

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#24 of 73 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,323 posts

Posted May 10 2013 - 05:27 PM

It will take massive doses of noise reduction to try and hide the convergence errors in that film!

• Stephen_J_H likes this

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#25 of 73 bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 868 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 09:02 AM

Two things --

First, that is heartbreaking that Sherman thinks he deserves millions to fix up the Naschy movie. Have you considered contacting the original Spanish owners? Or perhaps Naschy's son? A very nice Spanish dvd was released of the movie, superior color and detail - but not in 3D. If it's a possibility for you, I'd recommend talking to Mirek and getting his son's contact info. Here's examples of how good the Spanish dvd from VellaVision looks (unfortunately, it is not English friendly...officially).

14d2566c93c74a405579864cb780c0914dc300c.

15135abec93bc912ab9b5734973f797eac4c333.

fb915acbc6af529fa524b22ac4f7e587a6a8c51.

Second, regarding Shout, if they are doing the transfer work themselves, there will not be any DNR. Cliff does not believe in using it and does his best not to employ it. I also recommended to him that he contact you, Bob, and Jack but was told they were already halfway through the transferring process.

Edited by bgart13, May 12 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#26 of 73 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,323 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 12:48 PM

Mr. Sherman told me that his element was perfect and ready to go although it hasn't been touched since 1972. I later found out that it was a dupe neg made from a composite print by Linwood Dunn's optical company, Film Effects of Hollywood. In a 1974 American Cinematographer article:

The first had to be printed from a 70mm release print because no intermediate master film was available. The projection set-ups for 35mm 3-D were totally inadequate and the results were just what the title of the film, "FRANKENSTEIN'S BLOODY TERROR", would indicate.

Mirek recently visited for a screening and we briefly discussed this film. We're going to pursue it and see what we can do. Thanks!

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#27 of 73 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,345 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 05:09 PM

Now, at this point, I'm confused:  WAS Paul Naschy's Frankenstein's Bloody Terror released in 3-D?

(I'd just assumed the earlier post mentioning Paul Morrissey got the title mixed up with Flesh For Frankenstein, and we were kidding the mixup.)

#28 of 73 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,323 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 05:28 PM

It played a few theaters in Hollywood in 3-D but that's about it, so far as I know. I've never fully researched the 3-D release on this one.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#29 of 73 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,323 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 05:34 PM

Here's an accurate article: http://www.depthsplo...ody-terror.html

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#30 of 73 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,117 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 13 2013 - 10:24 AM

Andy Warhol's Frankenstein aka Flesh for Frankenstein was released many years ago by Criterion on video. Maybe they will re-release it 3D? It would be there first feature film in 3D.

Pina was Criterion's first 3D release (in January '13).

• Stephen_J_H likes this

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#31 of 73 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,223 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted May 14 2013 - 09:31 AM

Pina was Criterion's first 3D release (in January '13).

Yeah I knew about that, but since Pina was a documentary, I wouldn't call it a feature film.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#32 of 73 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,117 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 02:20 PM

Yeah I knew about that, but since Pina was a documentary, I wouldn't call it a feature film.

Why wouldn't it be a feature film? It's not a feature narrative film, but that's an additional qualifier. A feature film is simply any film 40 minutes or longer.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#33 of 73 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,345 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 02:56 PM

Why wouldn't it be a feature film? It's not a feature narrative film, but that's an additional qualifier. A feature film is simply any film 40 minutes or longer.

The point is, it was ALREADY digital.  Criterion didn't have to do too much work.  (For free or otherwise.)

#34 of 73 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,117 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 09:01 PM

The point is, it was ALREADY digital.  Criterion didn't have to do too much work.  (For free or otherwise.)

That assertion wasn't made in the post I responded to either. You guys should warn me when you want to continually move the goal posts. :P

#35 of 73 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,223 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted August 15 2013 - 04:09 AM

For those who think we have some kind of a bias with respect to post-Golden Age 3-D features, I'll share the following.

I've recently had personal discussions with Sam Sherman and Paul Morrissey over their respective 3-D properties. Mr. Sherman felt that FRANKENSTEIN'S BLOODY TERROR would make millions (in one weekend) if released theatrically in 3-D, and wanted nearly as much cash upfront to access his poor quality 35mm dupe negative.

Mr. Morrissey couldn't understand why FRANKENSTEIN needed any adjustments to the 3-D convergence. When I explained how we could fix the alignment now on the various rip-out-your-eyes mistakes, he said that's how he shot it and didn't want any changes.

He then asked if I'd be doing the work for free.

Yep, eating once in a while is a bad habit of mine.

Like Greg, I'm for ANY vintage 3-D film getting a Blu-ray release, whether it be ROBOT MONSTER or HOT HEIR. But if they're going to get done, I'm 100% in favor of correcting the stereoscopic mistakes and doing it right. I saw every one of the 1980's features in theatres when first released and believe me, they need a LOT of work.

Flesh for Frankenstein is available in Japan in September on Blu-ray but in 2D.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#36 of 73 pinknik

pinknik

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 10:56 AM

Just got this title today and watched the first 25 minutes or so.  It looks pretty good for this era of 3-D.  Good color, clean, steady transfer and reasonably sharp in spots, while soft in others, which is pretty much how single strip 35mm 3-D looks.  Objects on the edges of the screen tend to have a little color fringe due to the optics.  The 3-D looks generally decent, but it does have some things that may be corrected in a more thorough transfer.  For instance there are objects in a lot of shots that are placed in front of the screen, but are cut off at the edge of the frame.  One shot was converged fairly close to the camera for an out of screen effect, so the background diverged too far.  I think the type of 3-D correction that Bob Furmanek and company do may have kept these issues in check.  Still, I'm happy to have my first decent copy of an 80's 3-D "classic".  :)

Edited by pinknik, October 02 2013 - 02:32 PM.

#37 of 73 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,323 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 12:44 PM

We have not seen the Blu-ray but from what we've been hearing, it appears that none of the alignment issues have been corrected.

This is very unfortunate.

The 3-D Film Archive could have created the optimum, restored stereoscopic version of this film...

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#38 of 73 pinknik

pinknik

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 02:33 PM

I think, like the DCP of Jaws 3-D, it must just be a straight transfer.  I don't find it unwatchable, though you might.  I'm really looking forward to your Bubble/Fantastic Invasion blu-ray and Dragonfly Squadron.  On Amityville 3-D, I fully understand where you're coming from, and would have loved a corrected transfer, but I enjoyed what I watched. 

#39 of 73 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 02:54 PM

Didn't the producer and the director of JAWS 3-D say there had been some correction in the transfer at the Expo? I don't have access to the interview so I can't check.

#40 of 73 pinknik

pinknik

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 06:02 PM

Didn't the producer and the director of JAWS 3-D say there had been some correction in the transfer at the Expo? I don't have access to the interview so I can't check.

I'm not sure, Richard.  I was just going by something I read elsewhere.  If it has been corrected, so much the better.  That's another disc I'd buy right away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users