Blu-ray Shout Factory

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 of 26 OFFLINE   FanboyZ

FanboyZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 04:54 PM

wasn't "the Family Man" a suspected up convert?

#22 of 26 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted May 09 2013 - 01:36 AM

Yes because Phantasm II is coming out of Universal. They're far from perfect but I have never heard of them releasing an upconvert.

Old master, degrained to remove detail, contrast boosted to remove more detail but make the colours pop, hey presto it looks like an upconvert but really its just a Universal special.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#23 of 26 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,204 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 09 2013 - 01:48 AM

4 Jackie Chan movies, 2 separate releases within the last 5 months are knowingly upscaled.

One more so hard to imagine?

Asian films being upscaled is unfortunately common because of the sources being provided by the Asian film companies. This is generally true for multiple releases for various US distributors. I don't think the comparison to the films provided by the US studios is apt.

• TravisR likes this

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#24 of 26 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,008 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 09 2013 - 04:12 AM

Old master, degrained to remove detail, contrast boosted to remove more detail but make the colours pop, hey presto it looks like an upconvert but really its just a Universal special.

That has been the case in way too many of their releases but, like I said, it's still not an upconvert.

#25 of 26 OFFLINE   FanboyZ

FanboyZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 07:43 AM

I can believe that.

#26 of 26 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,660 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 09:30 PM

Asian films being upscaled is unfortunately common because of the sources being provided by the Asian film companies. This is generally true for multiple releases for various US distributors. I don't think the comparison to the films provided by the US studios is apt.

True, their studio licensed releases are much less likely to be unconverted, and if this one is from Universal I wouldn't expect it to be the case.  Sure, Family Plot in the recent Hitchcock set was practically one, but releases like that from Universal are...let's say "unfortunate exceptions".

If this was a film being licensed from a non-studio entity, like last years dreadful Shout! blu-ray release The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea, I'd be more leery.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, Shout Factory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users