Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Last Stand -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,600 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 10:47 AM

Jee-woon Kim's The Last Stand is a fun, loud and violent film, which at least to me, plays a bit like an animated film.

Only with less character development.

Characters, dialogue and set-pieces are never more than they need to be in this traditional tale of a hard-working sheriff out to take revenge on cartoonish bad guys.

That's not to say that its not an enjoyable way to spend a little less than two hours.

The Blu-ray looks and sound terrific.  Shot on an Alexa, and taken through a 2k DI, the resultant disc looks as it should, and that's good.  Audio is especially nice in 7.1, with gunshots and various noises very accurately placed around the sound stage.

The bottom line here is that it's nice to have Mr. Schwarzenegger back in fighting shape.  One doesn't need to have the greatest of dialoge or deep thinking to have a good time at the movies.

This one had me thinking of c.1959 Hitchcock for obvious reasons.

Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted May 07 2013 - 04:35 PM

I did go see the film, and I was  surprised by how much I liked it. It's far from revelatory, but it's a very decent way to turn your brain off for two hours. Schwarzenegger still has a commanding screen presence, and watching him kick ass and take names again--even at the age of 65--was a whole lot of fun.

I was pretty shocked to find that this did so badly. I think Lionsgate hurt the film by releasing it when they did, and their trailers made the film look more annoying than it actually was. I was expecting, for instance, to loathe Knoxville and Guzman's characters, but both of them were restrained enough. Still, Arnold's comeback movie should have sold itself, and I think it would have done a lot better if it came out in theatres now, instead of back in January. 

I do hope his next films fare better, because I miss seeing these kinds of action films in the cinema.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 07 2013 - 06:20 PM

I had fun when I saw this and I think anyone who was a fan of Arnold in his glory days will enjoy it as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users