What's new

While we weren't paying attention Playstation Plus has gotten badass (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I dunno if you guys have noticed but the Instant Game Collection for PS3 via PS Plus has gotten pretty awesome.

Today when the store lifts Sleeping Dogs will be free to all PS Plus subscribers.

I think I've gotten at least one great title if not more each of the last 4 months, and most of them are still available if you sign up now.

Highly recommended.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I agree, over the last few months I've added Infamous2, Bioshock2, etc. Every month they add something quite good.. but get it while you can, if you miss it by the end of the month it's gone.. but if you keep your PS+ account it of course stays working on your PS3.

It's a very good deal.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
It's also been excellent for the PS Vita. In fact the PS Plus goodies for it convinced me to buy a Vita.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think I've downloaded more games from PS Plus than I will get to play. The support for indies is great, too.

My PS Vita gets a LOT of use from PS Plus. I only have 2 physical games and I think I've bought maybe 1 or 2 others from PSN, but have about a dozen Vita games.

It would be a shame if Sony doesn't keep this kind of PS Plus service around for PS4 or if MS is stupid enough to keep XBL without adding in similar features. If Nintendo had a "pay annual fee, get free NES/SNES/etc. classics" service then the Wii U would be in every house in the world.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Morgan Jolley said:
It would be a shame if Sony doesn't keep this kind of PS Plus service around for PS4 or if MS is stupid enough to keep XBL without adding in similar features. If Nintendo had a "pay annual fee, get free NES/SNES/etc. classics" service then the Wii U would be in every house in the world.
I completely agree with this. I have all three consoles at the moment (XBOX360, PS3, WiiU) and there are things I like about all; but for the WiiU it's the games (mostly Mario) which is great fun.. but my most anticipated game for WiiU is a reboot.. like Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Legend of Zelda: Wind Walkers updated for WiiU.
But if Nintendo offered me a year long pass where once a month I got a signature SNES/Gamecube type title or two every month at a reasonable rate (say $50 a year) I would be completely onboard. I think that's where they screwed up somewhat.

I think XBOX Live Gold, with it's required pay in misses this somewhat.. you get some good games at next to nothing, a lot of content.. but they really miss out on doing what PS+ does by giving you one or two signature, big name titles for free as long as you keep subscribing.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
mattCR said:
Yes. Cancel your plus and they go away
Except for the games that you purchased with the PS+ discount--those remain.

I've been a subscriber since day one, and have never once felt the service was not worth it.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I download the free games, even if I don't want it, with the possibility that I might like it after playing it. Sometimes I like discovering and playing new games that even aren't on my radar.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I got so many free games PSN I don't see myself buying a PS4 or Xbox1 anytime soon!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Actually it's Xcom Enemy Unknown.
PSN Price: $39.99, Free for PS Plus membersXCOM Enemy UnknownFrom the award-winning creators of Civilization comes an action-strategy game about humanity’s last stand. Threatened by an unknown enemy, Earth’s governments unite to form an elite paramilitary organization, known as XCOM. As the commander of XCOM, you must create a fully operational base, research alien technologies, plan combat missions, and lead your soldiers in fierce battles against a terrifying alien invasion. The decisions you make will affect the fate of humanity. You are our last hope.

Win/win/win/win tho!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Good lord, it might actually be worth signing up for PS+ now.

Or it would be, if I had time to actually play those games. :(

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Sam Posten said:
Good news? Free games guaranteed every month and your PS+ membership continues to work great and net you free stuff on PS3!
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/10/4417462/playstation-plus-memberships-being-extended-to-ps4
That's why it's great but stupid! I don't have space on my main gaming tv for two systems! I want to get a PS4 and play EVERYTHING the PSN has to offer damn it! It's like if Steam updated their system and told you none of your prior purchases will now work. People would HIT THE STREETS!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Isn't it the reverse, though? PS+ is saying: we know there is nothing wrong with your PS3, and you aren't likely to just throw it away.. adding a PS4 doesn't increase your PS+ cost at all.. and now you'll get free games monthly for both systems. I'm betting we see some games get "upgrade" offers if they want, but as long as they do this they extend the life of something I already own. I'm OK with that

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Yeah, they're being good about it by not gouging the PS+ subscribers. I just find it annoying and stupid that even the digital PS3 stuff isn't playable on the PS4. That's all I ask for. I'll half buy their bullshit on the PS3 discs not being compatible, or that it's too expensive to make them compatible. But this hinting that the cloud service gaming thing will have PS3 games, but the copy of Bioshock I got through the PSN WONT work on the PS4?

Bullshit I says! (Somewhat irrationally).

If all my PSN stuff worked on the PS4, I'd up grade day one guaranteed. As it is now, I got lots of games, and will continue to get games on the PS3, so no big rush... even though I'm leaning towards upgrading to the PS4 day one since I need a second bluray player... :laugh:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They're working on getting PS3 games to stream to PS4 (and Vita!) next year. That means anything you get for free from PS+ will go under your account and hopefully be free when the streaming stuff is set up. If you download a free PS+ game then you maintain the rights to it, which are connected to your PSN ID and should carry over. Time will tell if this is the case, but that would be awesome.

Also, MS' attempt at mimicking the free game aspect of PS+ was extremely weak. 2 games that are 6 years old? Please.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I wonder as a PS+ member, who will not have a PS4, if I can still somehow add the free PS4 games to my account, so that if I ever do get a PS4, they will be instantly available to download.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks