Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Do I need it?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   HT4ME

HT4ME

Agent

• 33 posts
  • LocationMiddle Earth

Posted May 06 2013 - 06:09 PM

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of building a home theater (among other things) into my 1900 square foot basement.  As part of my HT configuration, I have decided to take a three year old pc, install 2, 3 tb hard drives and create a media box.  My primary application that will run the show is My Movies.  The PC has a blu ray drive and a dvd drive.  With all things being equal, do I really need to buy a separate UD, in my case the Oppo BDP-105, or am I ok with just the media server? 90% of what I will be doing is movie playback. 

Thanks!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

~Mark Twain

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted May 06 2013 - 06:19 PM

The Oppo buys you SACD and DVD-Audio playback, also 3D.

And the Oppo BDP-103 will suffice.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   HT4ME

HT4ME

Agent

• 33 posts
  • LocationMiddle Earth

Posted May 06 2013 - 07:11 PM

The Oppo buys you SACD and DVD-Audio playback, also 3D.

And the Oppo BDP-103 will suffice.

Wow!  That save me allot of money.  Thanks Steve.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

~Mark Twain

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted May 07 2013 - 01:06 AM

If your intention is to hook the hard drives up to the Oppo then i wouldn't advise it as the Oppo BDP-103 has Cinavia in it, it will not play some ripped hard drive blu rays because of this, audio will mute on some titles after fifteen to twenty minutes of playback, i think you are better off buying a Mede8er MED600X3D 3D Media Player, it plays BD ISO's including 3D ones and has HD audio format support.

Edited by FoxyMulder, May 07 2013 - 01:07 AM.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users