Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Anthony Mann's Westerns -- why no blu-rays?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 06:29 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Anthony Mann directed the best westerns ever made during America's golden age of westerns.

Check out these savvy essays on Mann's westerns at Livius' blog:

The Furies (1950)
http://livius1.wordp.../28/the-furies/

The Devil's Doorway (1950)
http://livius1.wordp...devils-doorway/

Winchester '73
http://livius1.wordp.../winchester-73/

Bend of the River (1952)
http://livius1.wordp...d-of-the-river/

The Naked Spur (1953)
http://livius1.wordp...the-naked-spur/

The Man From Laramie (1955)
http://livius1.wordp...n-from-laramie/

The Tin Star (1957)
http://livius1.wordp...2/the-tin-star/

In Europe, an Anthony Mann western is a foreign art film, defining the image of America and representing Hollywood craftsmanship at its finest. Not one of these great films are on blu-ray.

Who wouldn't buy these great westerns on blu-ray?

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted May 05 2013 - 06:49 PM

"The Man From Laramie" is being prepped and restored for blu-ray release later this year by Sony...for that, you just have to wait a few more months. As to the other titles listed, I completely agree!!! :thumbsup:

#3 of 17 ONLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 866 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted May 05 2013 - 09:16 PM

There's a pretty nice German BD of Man Of The West, which I have.  Bend Of The River and Winchester 73 BDs have just been released in the Netherlands.  Hopefully, someday these will come to the U.S.

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,945 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 11:03 PM

I would buy any of these great films in a heartbeat.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

SAMSPACE_02_edited-1_zpse1008419.jpg

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,653 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted May 06 2013 - 01:47 AM

"The Man From Laramie" is being prepped and restored for blu-ray release later this year by Sony...for that, you just have to wait a few more months. As to the other titles listed, I completely agree!!! :thumbsup:

Oh I dunno, I've seen lots of old Columbia movies in good looking HD transfers on TV, & no sign of a Blu-ray release of any of them, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

I'm hoping Universal releases a Blu-ray version of the James Stewart Western Box, that would include: The Far Country, Bend Of The River & Winchester '73. I've seen most of the films in this box in HD, & Winchester '73 looks particularly good. But again, I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Billy Batson, May 06 2013 - 06:16 AM.

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,328 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 06 2013 - 04:39 AM

Criterion released a wonderful looking DVD of The Furies in an impressive package that contained the original book. Would they still have the rights to release a Blu-ray version of that film?

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,713 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 08:01 AM

I thought I read somewhere that Criterion was prepping Cimarron for a BD release?  Perhaps, or maybe I just dreamed it.  :unsure:

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,866 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 04:45 PM

This is the first time I hear about this, where did you get that info?

The Man from Laramie is well suited for a Blu-ray release - great movie and great widescreen cinematography, Mann certainly knew how to shoot cinemascope!

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,650 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 06:22 PM

I saw it on HDNet Movies looking really great. One would hope it is being prepped, but that was over three years ago; so I would not assume anything.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted May 06 2013 - 08:41 PM

for

This is the first time I hear about this, where did you get that info?

The Man from Laramie is well suited for a Blu-ray release - great movie and great widescreen cinematography, Mann certainly knew how to shoot cinemascope!

I found out at another thread here discussing upcoming Sony restoration releases for 2013...several have since come to pass: "On The Waterfront", "Funny Girl" and "Oliver!" which has officially been announced for limited edition release at Twilight Time...the other titles include "Laramie" and "The Last Detail"!!!

Edited by lukejosephchung, May 06 2013 - 08:42 PM.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   aHorseofCourse

aHorseofCourse

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 01:59 AM

With the exception of "Cimarron", those are all great, great movies. Mann was a flat-out amazing filmmaker and I'd happily buy each of the films you've listed. I think "The Furies" and "Devil's Doorway" are very underrated, as is "The Tin Star", which people tend to forget because it doesn't star Jimmy Stewart. The DVD transfers are pretty good, so you'd hope they could turn out decent Blu-ray discs. "The Last Frontier" and "The Naked Spur" might be the most problematic titles - they've never looked great and the DVD of "The Naked Spur", perhaps the best film of all of them has always been a big disappointment. There may be some conjecture over the proper aspect ratio, too.

I've got the German Blu of "Man of the West" and think it's an excellent, unadorned transfer. Would love to see more follow.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted May 09 2013 - 07:02 AM

There is an HD master of Cimarron as I recently recorded it on my PVR (just haven't had a chance to watch it yet). I would buy all of those films (be a great box set, if the rights issues could allow for it). I'd also love to see a Criterion treatment for as many of these as possible, though even barebones releases would be great.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,866 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 06:56 PM

forI found out at another thread here discussing upcoming Sony restoration releases for 2013...several have since come to pass: "On The Waterfront", "Funny Girl" and "Oliver!" which has officially been announced for limited edition release at Twilight Time...the other titles include "Laramie" and "The Last Detail"!!!

Then let's hope they come through with Laramie, too!

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,866 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 07:01 PM

The DVD transfers are pretty good, so you'd hope they could turn out decent Blu-ray discs.

The Tin Star was shot in VistaVision and therefore has the potential to look very good if treated properly.The HD versions that I have seen look OK but I would surely hope for a substantal improvement with the Blu-Rays and not just some sharpening and scrubbing of grain or otherwise they may end up like the recent release of Cape Fear (this remark is for you, Universal!).

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Screenwriter

• 1,102 posts
  • LocationPallookaville, USA

Posted May 10 2013 - 03:31 AM

All in on hoping to see these films released on blu-ray and at least one of them has been prepared for that according to Grover Crisp. 

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   PatrickDA

PatrickDA

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted May 10 2013 - 09:50 PM

"The Man from Laramie" contains a wonderful filmmaking moment early on. It's a pan (right to left) that at first gives the audience the impression it's from Jimmy Stewart's POV, yet Mr. Stewart comes into the shot half-way through making it an audience POV pan. I'd love to see it on blu-ray along with all of Mr. Mann's other classic western titles. "The Naked Spur" is my personal favorite. Nothing comes close to matching Lee J. Cobb in "Man of the West," though. Talk about being wonderfully, entertainingly over-the-top!!

I'm still mostly interested in correctly done blu-ray's of "The Fall of the Roman Empire" and "El Cid."

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,866 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 09:15 AM

I'm still mostly interested in correctly done blu-ray's of "The Fall of the Roman Empire" and "El Cid."

One would hope that somebody gets around to doing these justice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users