9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,429 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 04:09 PM

Everyone loves lesbians.

Most everyone loves vampires.

Using Sheridan Le Fanu's (1814-1873) Carmilla as a basis, Hammer Films, Fantale Films and American-International, created The Vampire Lovers.

What could possibly be better than lesbian vampires?

The new Blu-ray from Scream Factory does justice to the film in a general sense.  I'm not an expert on either Hammer or Vampire Lovers.  I saw it when it arrived in the early '70s, and have no memory of what it looked like.

The film is a melange of original photography, what appears to be a bit of stock footage from other films, and various generations of dupes.  The end result is a decent quality affair.  A bit of minus density dirt (which could have been removed -- I'm thinking Olive here), but beyond that a very solid image for what is essentially a low-budget B product, that has taken a place in cinema history.

Nothing shocking here.  A post Woodstock, gothic tale of vampirism, based upon a solid piece of literature, and a perfectly acceptable Blu-ray experience.

Image - 3.5

Audio - 4

Recommended.

RAH

• Bryan^H and cannon1 like this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 10 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 05:36 PM

This is very low on my list of good Hammer films, but as a completist I decided to upgrade from my old MGM 'Midnite Movies' line. Needless to say if it is Hammer and on Blu-Ray I will get it(that even goes for the dreadful 'Taste The Blood Of Dracula' if WB ever releases it!).

Nothing shocking here.  A post Woodstock, gothic tale of vampirism, based upon a solid piece of literature, and a perfectly acceptable Blu-ray experience.

Well said.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#3 of 10 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 06:08 PM

This isn't the same transfer used for the old MGM double-feature DVD, is it?  I'm hearing that it might be.

Regarding Herzog's NOSFERATU -- please, somebody, release it NOW on blu-ray. An hypnotic morbid beauty of a vampire film.

• Bryan^H likes this

#4 of 10 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,521 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 05 2013 - 06:37 PM

Ingrid Pitt in Blu.

Sold.

#5 of 10 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,607 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted May 05 2013 - 11:54 PM

Beautifully designed film, Ingrid Pitt and her female co-stars (particularly Kate O'Mara) are all lovely.  I've always felt this film underrated.  Bring on "Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde".

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#6 of 10 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 06 2013 - 12:42 AM

Regarding Herzog's NOSFERATU -- please, somebody, release it NOW on blu-ray. An hypnotic morbid beauty of a vampire film.

Somebody has.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#7 of 10 EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 674 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted May 06 2013 - 01:01 AM

Somebody has.

The BFI are starting up a Herzog Blu-ray collection soon, though only Aguirre is currently confirmed. Nosferatu seems a dead cert though. Hopefully it'll come without the apparent DNR of the German release.

#8 of 10 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 08:05 AM

Yes indeed. 

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#9 of 10 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted May 06 2013 - 08:33 AM

Ingrid Pitt was also great in Where Eagles Dare (with co-star Mary Ure). The Vampire Lovers is not one of my favourite Hammer films. At the top of my list is The Brides of Dracula arriving soon on blu-ray.

#10 of 10 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,164 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted May 06 2013 - 08:34 AM

Beautifully designed film, Ingrid Pitt and her female co-stars (particularly Kate O'Mara) are all lovely.  I've always felt this film underrated.  Bring on "Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde".

I just watched this night before last, and I can't underrate this film enough.  The acting is generally poor, the plot is a confusing muddle, and the film proves that nudity does not always generate eroticism.  A disappointing film.

And what's with the dude with the long teeth we see on horseback from time to time?  What was his  purpose?  It wasn't to protect his fellow vampires.  I guess he just likes to watch. 

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users