Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Vampire Lovers -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,322 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 04:09 PM

Everyone loves lesbians.

Most everyone loves vampires.

Using Sheridan Le Fanu's (1814-1873) Carmilla as a basis, Hammer Films, Fantale Films and American-International, created The Vampire Lovers.

What could possibly be better than lesbian vampires?

The new Blu-ray from Scream Factory does justice to the film in a general sense.  I'm not an expert on either Hammer or Vampire Lovers.  I saw it when it arrived in the early '70s, and have no memory of what it looked like.

The film is a melange of original photography, what appears to be a bit of stock footage from other films, and various generations of dupes.  The end result is a decent quality affair.  A bit of minus density dirt (which could have been removed -- I'm thinking Olive here), but beyond that a very solid image for what is essentially a low-budget B product, that has taken a place in cinema history.

Nothing shocking here.  A post Woodstock, gothic tale of vampirism, based upon a solid piece of literature, and a perfectly acceptable Blu-ray experience.

Image - 3.5

Audio - 4

Recommended.

RAH

• Bryan^H and cannon1 like this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 10 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,578 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 05:36 PM

This is very low on my list of good Hammer films, but as a completist I decided to upgrade from my old MGM 'Midnite Movies' line. Needless to say if it is Hammer and on Blu-Ray I will get it(that even goes for the dreadful 'Taste The Blood Of Dracula' if WB ever releases it!).

Nothing shocking here.  A post Woodstock, gothic tale of vampirism, based upon a solid piece of literature, and a perfectly acceptable Blu-ray experience.

Well said.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#3 of 10 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 06:08 PM

This isn't the same transfer used for the old MGM double-feature DVD, is it?  I'm hearing that it might be.

Regarding Herzog's NOSFERATU -- please, somebody, release it NOW on blu-ray. An hypnotic morbid beauty of a vampire film.

• Bryan^H likes this

#4 of 10 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,489 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 05 2013 - 06:37 PM

Ingrid Pitt in Blu.

Sold.

#5 of 10 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,422 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted May 05 2013 - 11:54 PM

Beautifully designed film, Ingrid Pitt and her female co-stars (particularly Kate O'Mara) are all lovely.  I've always felt this film underrated.  Bring on "Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde".

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#6 of 10 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,419 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 06 2013 - 12:42 AM

Regarding Herzog's NOSFERATU -- please, somebody, release it NOW on blu-ray. An hypnotic morbid beauty of a vampire film.

Somebody has.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#7 of 10 EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 613 posts
  • LocationHull, Yorkshire

Posted May 06 2013 - 01:01 AM

Somebody has.

The BFI are starting up a Herzog Blu-ray collection soon, though only Aguirre is currently confirmed. Nosferatu seems a dead cert though. Hopefully it'll come without the apparent DNR of the German release.

#8 of 10 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,578 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 08:05 AM

Yes indeed. 

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#9 of 10 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted May 06 2013 - 08:33 AM

Ingrid Pitt was also great in Where Eagles Dare (with co-star Mary Ure). The Vampire Lovers is not one of my favourite Hammer films. At the top of my list is The Brides of Dracula arriving soon on blu-ray.

#10 of 10 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,015 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted May 06 2013 - 08:34 AM

Beautifully designed film, Ingrid Pitt and her female co-stars (particularly Kate O'Mara) are all lovely.  I've always felt this film underrated.  Bring on "Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde".

I just watched this night before last, and I can't underrate this film enough.  The acting is generally poor, the plot is a confusing muddle, and the film proves that nudity does not always generate eroticism.  A disappointing film.

And what's with the dude with the long teeth we see on horseback from time to time?  What was his  purpose?  It wasn't to protect his fellow vampires.  I guess he just likes to watch. 

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users