Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

So am I to understand Muppet Show S4 isn't on DVD yet due to Ep. #417, the Star wars one?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 of 47 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,177 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 05:10 PM

Folks,

Just out of curiosity, is the main reason why the Muppet Show S4 isn't out on DVD as of yet is due to Episode #417, which happens to be the Star Wars one? Just read about Star Wars and their appearance on The Muppet Show on www.themuppetmindset.com and it just got me to thinking if this is the reason for the delay in releasing this next to last season of the show? Sounds like it, but doesn't Disney own this property now and if so, what's the hold up then towards an official release? Any thoughts on this?

#2 of 47 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 2,452 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 05:15 PM

It's more likely because 1-3 came out during the days when every studio was gold-rush struck with how much TV boxsets would sell, the Show sets (especially S1) didn't sell as much as Disney dreamed they would on property value, and they held back S5 as well until they could figure out some "new" way to spark the property again.

You'd think they'd have given it another little push after that cheap-pretender movie, but....

#3 of 47 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,985 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 04 2013 - 07:28 PM

The Mark Hamill episode was already released on a best-of The Muppet Show disc years ago so it's highly unlikely that that it's suddenly become a problem.

Edited by TravisR, May 04 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#4 of 47 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,211 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 07:22 PM

The Mark Hamill episode was already released on a best-of The Muppet Show disc years ago so it's highly unlikely that that it's suddenly become a problem.

Not neccessarily. As we saw, even though certain episodes of The Carol Burnett Show had previously been released on DVD years ago, TimeLife was unable to clear certain parts of those very same episodes and they had to be edited to be included on the new TimeLife set. So, just becasue TimeLife was able to clear the entire Mark Hamill episode, doesn't mean that Disney didn't run into problems when they tried to clear the episode.

While those issues may not be a problem now that Disney owns all rights to the Star Wars characters, they may have been a problem a few years ago. We all know that Lucas changes his mind with the shifting winds. He may not have had issue with the TimeLife release of that Muppet Show episode, but for reasons unknown decided to play hard ball with Disney when they were preparing season 4 for release.  

It's all specualtion, but it is my firm belief that the Star Wars episode was the hold up on season 4.

#5 of 47 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,985 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 07:39 PM

If the fourth season of The Muppets gets released all of a sudden, I'll agree that that episode was probably the hold up but until then, I don't believe it. If Disney was that interested in releasing it and Lucasfilm was that big of a roadblock then I think they'd have just dropped the episode and released the fourth season minus one episode.

And let's not forget that there's no proof to suggest that LFL has any say in what the owner of The Muppets does with the episode anyway.

Edited by TravisR, May 05 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#6 of 47 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 2,452 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 11:26 AM

It's all specualtion, but it is my firm belief that the Star Wars episode was the hold up on season 4.

Then.....why aren't we getting Season 5, either?

Or why aren't they selling us neatly camouflaged sets of "Best Moments!" best-of's, thinking that if they gave us five or six episodes, we wouldn't notice the ones that were missing?  (LIke Warner did with the Scooby Doo boxes, when the Sonny & Cher and Addams Family episodes were pulled by Viacom?)

It's only in the last year or two that Disney thought Kermit could sell at ALL, after the mild sales of Season 3.  Even the movie two years ago was to gauge whether they should just get out of the whole thing in the first place, since it wasn't even their idea (they never could figure out why Michael Eisner was so obsessed with getting them, and he's gone).  It didn't help that half of Jason Segel's gags in the movie were condescendngly snickering about what a "70's relic" it was.

It's nice for SW fans, looking for new discussion topics to conspiracize about Disney, to think "They f33r us!", but that's more than 10's Muppet fans can say, sadly. :(

#7 of 47 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 830 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted May 06 2013 - 03:46 PM

Could it be that 20th Century Fox owns Star Wars flat out, even though Disney now owns Lucasfilms?

#8 of 47 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,442 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 03:54 PM

I believe Lucas obtained the rights to the first movie as part of the deal to distribute the first of the new trilogy.

#9 of 47 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,177 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 04:05 PM

If the fourth season of The Muppets gets released all of a sudden, I'll agree that that episode was probably the hold up but until then, I don't believe it. If Disney was that interested in releasing it and Lucasfilm was that big of a roadblock then I think they'd have just dropped the episode and released the fourth season minus one episode.

And let's not forget that there's no proof to suggest that LFL has any say in what the owner of The Muppets does with the episode anyway.

But if they did it in the fashion you had just suggested, then it wouldn't be a complete season after all. But again, now that Disney owns the Star Wars name and trademarks and such outright, when can we really and truly expect to see Season 4 finally make its way onto DVD? In other words, what's the holdup now from doing it sooner rather than later? it'd be better to release the final season before the movie comes out in March 2014 and to have this season released in the summertime, fall or even by the holidays to finally get this thing completed.

#10 of 47 OFFLINE   Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 726 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 04:08 PM

It has nothing to do with the STAR WARS episode in Season 4.  The first three season sets were costly to put out and they did not sell very well either.  Disney bit the bullet on the music clearance costs with the first three sets but when they weren't getting the return on their investment through low sales, then the fourth season is delayed until there is more of a demand for it.

#11 of 47 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,985 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 04:15 PM

It has nothing to do with the STAR WARS episode in Season 4.  The first three season sets were costly to put out and they did not sell very well either.  Disney bit the bullet on the music clearance costs with the first three sets but when they weren't getting the return on their investment through low sales, then the fourth season is delayed until there is more of a demand for it.

That's crazy talk. It must be some deep conspiracy rather than a simple answer like that. :)

But if they did it in the fashion you had just suggested, then it wouldn't be a complete season after all.

It wouldn't be the first time that an episode has been dropped from a season set due to some trouble with licensing. It's very rare to see an episode left off but it has happened when a company wants to release something and they can't over the hurdle of licensing something.

Once again, I think it's a pretty large (but not impossible) assumptuion to think that LFL ever had any say over the episode.

Edited by TravisR, May 06 2013 - 04:19 PM.

#12 of 47 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,177 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 05:38 PM

Greg, how can you say it's based on poor sales? If you looked at Amazon's history of these three titles alone when they were in the pre-sale stages originally many years ago, all three ranked #1 in their respective categories on that website and even continued on that trend after they originally came out, so I have to disagree with you on the sales front of things. I'm just hoping that Disney will release the fourth season sometime this year and then coincide the movie's release in 2014 with a fifth season DVD release. I can truly hope along with others for this to happen and it could, right?

#13 of 47 OFFLINE   Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 05:58 PM

My two centers; if poor sales are indeed the reason for Season 4's holdup, Disney wouldn't have said anything about season 4 at all. Instead, we have the Season 4 announcement at D23 that has been postponed for whatever reason.

#14 of 47 OFFLINE   stuartfanning

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted May 09 2013 - 07:17 AM

The episode concerned is on YouTube!

#15 of 47 ONLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,128 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 02:23 PM

I doubt the release of lack thereof of Season 4 (and 5!) have anything to do with Star Wars. 

The title of this thread should be changed to a question.

Edited by Sam Favate, May 09 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#16 of 47 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,177 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 06:28 PM

Sam, I'm still hoping that if it is NOT this reason for the delay in Season 4, it has to be something else then and I don't think it has to do with poor sales, as I mentioned to Greg above here. They made this announcement back at the D23 in Anaheim in 2009 or 2010 I believe with Gonzo on the cover and it was slated for a 2011 releases and thought it would have been done in conjunction with the movie, but now hoping it gets released sometime this year and it concludes with season five's release in conjunction with the new movie coming out next year.

#17 of 47 ONLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,128 posts

Posted May 10 2013 - 05:18 AM

Sam, I'm still hoping that if it is NOT this reason for the delay in Season 4, it has to be something else then and I don't think it has to do with poor sales, as I mentioned to Greg above here. They made this announcement back at the D23 in Anaheim in 2009 or 2010 I believe with Gonzo on the cover and it was slated for a 2011 releases and thought it would have been done in conjunction with the movie, but now hoping it gets released sometime this year and it concludes with season five's release in conjunction with the new movie coming out next year.

I hope you're right. There have been a lot of opportunities that have passed -- the release of the 2011 feature film, the 2012 blu-ray release of that -- and I seem to remember rumors that The Muppet Movie (1979) was coming to blu-ray in 2013. That would be an opportunity, as well as the Tina Fey film next year and it's subsequent blu-ray release. But I just don't see a lot of confidence on behalf of the studio where the Muppets are concerned.

#18 of 47 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 11:21 AM

The persistent rumor among Muppet fans over the years has been that the issue is music licensing costs. While the three released seasons have reportedly sold well, only the second and third cleared all their songs. The belief is that it would be preferrable to wait rather than release a set with music omitted (as was the unpopular decision with the first season).

#19 of 47 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,256 posts

Posted December 29 2013 - 02:35 PM

Just checking in to see if there is further news on The Muppets season 4. I would be interested in a blu ray release as well.

Is there anything coming soon with the next Muppet movie coming out in March of 2014?

Also just wondering whether to buy seasons 1-3 now or hold out for a new release of the show.

Thanks!

#20 of 47 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,256 posts

Posted December 29 2013 - 02:45 PM

Would it be better to order the series from Region 2 UK?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users