Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Can anybody confirm if the entr'acte music for CLEOPATRA has been fixed?

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 of 78 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted May 23 2013 - 06:45 PM

At the end of disc one it' still in the RIGHT PLACE, before act two. It's just not where you wanted it, but it's not like it's out of order!
  • TonyD likes this
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#42 of 78 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 09:20 PM

Part two should come on right after the entr'acte music There should be no pause to change the disc.Music ends, lights dim, curtain opens, picture on. Thats roadshow folks!

Edited by trajan, May 23 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#43 of 78 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 09:56 AM

but its not in the wrong order.
  • TonyD likes this

#44 of 78 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 24 2013 - 10:15 AM

but its not in the wrong order.

No one ever said it was in the wrong order.  But to put the entr'acte at the end of disc one places the break in the wrong spot.  It really doesn't matter much unless you are trying to replicate the roadshow experience with an audience at home, but isn't that what home theatres are all about?

#45 of 78 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 10:19 AM

No, some people just want to watch the movie and appreciate the movie just starting right up when you put the disc in, Glad I have the UK release.
  • TonyD likes this

#46 of 78 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,872 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted May 24 2013 - 11:48 AM

No, some people just want to watch the movie and appreciate the movie just starting right up when you put the disc in, Glad I have the UK release.

There is perhaps a generational difference here because those of us who grew up in the roadshow era consider the Overture, Entr'acte etc to be part  of the movie. Not something which should be cut from the movie or removed from the presentation.

• Rob_Ray likes this

#47 of 78 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 11:57 AM

Plus you know, we're not in a theater where people need bathroom breaks or time to go get popcorn. I guess I don't find a great appeal in SLAVISHLY replicating an experience that I am not a gigantic fan of in the first place. I far prefer viewing at home than going to a theater, I barely go once or twice a year these days.

#48 of 78 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 12:07 PM

Plus you know, we're not in a theater where people need bathroom breaks or time to go get popcorn. I guess I don't find a great appeal in SLAVISHLY replicating an experience that I am not a gigantic fan of in the first place. I far prefer viewing at home than going to a theater, I barely go once or twice a year these days.

But some of us have home theatres where guests need bathroom breaks and time to go get popcorn and generally discuss what we saw in Act I before we dim the lights for Act II.

I barely go to a theatre once or twice a year either, because they lack the showmanship I can give a film at home.

Edited by Rob_Ray, May 24 2013 - 12:08 PM.

• ahollis likes this

#49 of 78 OFFLINE   Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Supporting Actor

• 501 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 12:10 PM

At the end of disc one it' still in the RIGHT PLACE, before act two. It's just not where you wanted it, but it's not like it's out of order!

That is not a correct statement.  That may be the way you want to view the film but not as the film makers intended.  All roadshows films that included an intermission and entr'acte always placed the entr'acte at the beginning of the second half of the film as a sort of overture to the second half.  The UK disc as stated is incorrect and the newly released US version is apparently corrected.

#50 of 78 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,872 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted May 24 2013 - 12:18 PM

Well if you don't want to replicate the roadshow presentation you can simply press the skip button and go straight to the next chapter. In fact, you don't even need to go to that effort because you have the UK disc, which doesn't have the Entr'acte at the beginning of part 2, so what's the problem?

Edited by Douglas R, May 24 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#51 of 78 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 01:58 PM

That is not a correct statement.  That may be the way you want to view the film but not as the film makers intended.  All roadshows films that included an intermission and entr'acte always placed the entr'acte at the beginning of the second half of the film as a sort of overture to the second half.  The UK disc as stated is incorrect and the newly released US version is apparently corrected.

Overture - part one - ent'racte - part two

Those elements are in the correct ORDER in all releases.

#52 of 78 OFFLINE   Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Supporting Actor

• 501 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 02:04 PM

Correct.

#53 of 78 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 02:07 PM

Correct.

Ok because that was my whole point all along. Nothing is stopping anyone from pausing the disc at the end of part one (or ANYTIME really) and then starting the entr'acte then putting in disc two for part two.

I can't imagine having people over without everyone saying to "skip ahead to the movie" if I were to play an entr'acte when running a film like this. It would be like expecting everyone to dress up to come over and watch the movie, it's another thing we don't do when watching at home as opposed to going to a roadshow in the 50s or 60s
  • TonyD likes this

#54 of 78 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 02:08 PM

You're omitting the crucial break in the film.

US:  Overture - part one - FORCED BREAK IN THE FILM - entr'acte - part two.

UK:  Overture - part one - entr'acte - FORCED BREAK IN THE FILM - part two.

With the latter, you may as well split the film up onto two discs at the conclusion of any scene.  You're stopping the film at a point where no break was intended.

#55 of 78 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 24 2013 - 02:17 PM

Oh well wouldn't have been a big deal to me either way. I just want to watch the movie
It's a four hour film so the chance of me watching it more then two times is very low and I
Hardly need to sit through the overture and entr'acte more than the one time.
  • Moe Dickstein likes this
facebook.com/whotony

#56 of 78 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,852 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 24 2013 - 03:57 PM

TonyD and Moe, it's simple, get the UK disc and go with it. I have read many threads about correct aspect ratio and Blu-rays that do not look like film. I am for the correct aspect ratio and for the transfer to look like film. I also want movies released on DVD or Blu-Ray to emulate as much as possible the original theatrical experience. And the Entr'acte played before the start of part two is correct. It was there to to bring the audience into the mood for the rest of the film. The break occurs before the Entr'acte not after. It's just that plain and simple.

Edited by ahollis, May 24 2013 - 03:59 PM.

• Matt Hough likes this
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#57 of 78 OFFLINE   SteveJKo

SteveJKo

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 04:10 PM

....All roadshows films that included an intermission and entr'acte always placed the entr'acte at the beginning of the second half of the film as a sort of overture to the second half.  The UK disc as stated is incorrect and the newly released US version is apparently corrected.

Exactly. I still can't believe the overture of Scrooge was left off the blu-ray.

You're In The Show With Todd-AO!

#58 of 78 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 04:34 PM

You're omitting the crucial break in the film.

US:  Overture - part one - FORCED BREAK IN THE FILM - entr'acte - part two.

UK:  Overture - part one - entr'acte - FORCED BREAK IN THE FILM - part two.

With the latter, you may as well split the film up onto two discs at the conclusion of any scene.  You're stopping the film at a point where no break was intended.

So I guess you never ever watched a movie on a Laserdisc eh? Talk to me after you look at my CAV version of Gone With The Wind with 5 discs...

Home and Theater are different experiences.

#59 of 78 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 04:36 PM

TonyD and Moe, it's simple, get the UK disc and go with it. I have read many threads about correct aspect ratio and Blu-rays that do not look like film. I am for the correct aspect ratio and for the transfer to look like film. I also want movies released on DVD or Blu-Ray to emulate as much as possible the original theatrical experience. And the Entr'acte played before the start of part two is correct. It was there to to bring the audience into the mood for the rest of the film. The break occurs before the Entr'acte not after. It's just that plain and simple.

I have the UK disc, have had it for over a year.

I get irritated at this particular complaint because it is SO petty and unimportant.

The Entr'acte was there so that you had time to get back to your seat before the curtain, it wasnt like they waited until everyone was settled in and then started the music.

When there are discs with REAL problems it seems like wasted energy to spend pages and pages across 5 threads bitching about THIS.
  • ahollis likes this

#60 of 78 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 04:37 PM

So I guess you never ever watched a movie on a Laserdisc eh? Talk to me after you look at my CAV version of Gone With The Wind with 5 discs...

Home and Theater are different experiences.

I have that same CAV laserdisc box set.  Also Ben-Hur.  And while I love the packaging on both, thank goodness the days of side breaks are over!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users