Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Classic Films In Rep Many Now DCP

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,566 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 12:20 PM

I was looking at a current schedule of the Film Forum in NYC. They have a children/family matinee at 11AM.

I notice many ofl the films currently being shown are DCP. They advertise absolutely no DVDs or Blu- ray.

Some of the films shown DCP are:

A Night At the Opera

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Adventures of Robin Hood

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn

Bye Bye Birdie

The General

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

5000 Fingers of Dr T

Jason and the Argonauts

King Kong (1933)

Still in 35MM

The Kid

Easter Parade

Small Change

School of Rock

House of Wax 3D

Young Frankenstein

Looks like Warner Bros and Sony have the most  DCP projected films. I would guess as existing prints become worn out DCP replaces them for future bookings. Sad to see 35MM  film disappear.

Edited by Garysb, May 01 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,277 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted May 01 2013 - 12:25 PM

Tim Lucas wrote about this a long time ago in Video Watchdog.  I'm somewhat split on it.

Baxter Ave. in Louisville used to pride itself on 35mm screenings but I've seen several, which were just so bad looking that there really wasn't anything "gained" other than saying you watched it in 35mm.  I think they've mostly switched over because the studios simply aren't sending out film prints anymore.  I know they're showing the original DAWN OF THE DEAD in 35mm next weekend and I plan on being there but I hope it's a good, uncut print.  If it turns out to be in bad shape or is missing footage then give me the Anchor Bay disc projected.

Fathom Events has played several "classic" movies in the past year and none of them are 35mm obviously.  If skipping the 35mm is going to get more classic movies onto a big screen then I'm all for it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users