Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

BVHE Press Release: Oz The Great and Powerful (3D Blu-ray)(Blu-ray Combo)(Blu-ray)

Disney

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 of 51 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 09:25 AM

oz3d.jpg ozblu.jpg ozblucom.jpg

Go Deeper Into the Spectacular Land of Oz

Disney’s

OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

New To Blu-ray™ Combo Pack, Digital and On-Demand - June 11, 2013

BURBANK, Calif. May 1, 2013 — Disney’s “Oz The Great and Powerful” will once again provide audiences with a magical entertainment experience when it debuts for in-home release on Blu-ray™ Combo Pack, DVD, Digital and On-Demand, June 11, 2013.

A must-own for any home entertainment collection, the Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) of “Oz The Great and Powerful” brings the epic adventure to life with its vibrantly colorful picture and sound, and boasts a sensational variety of never-before-seen bonus materials including: “The Magic of ‘Oz The Great and Powerful’ Second Screen Feature” that provides viewers with an immersive opportunity to journey into the fantastical lands of Oz; James Franco’s personal story of his journey to the land of Oz that is produced and directed by the Oscar® nominated star himself; Golden Globe® nominee Mila Kunis’ makeup metamorphosis which is hosted by Academy Award®-winning makeup artist Howard Berger; A back-stage journey through each of the visual effects process that brought China Girl to life including an interview with Joey King; and much more. Additionally, all Blu-ray and DVD products include a digital copy of the film allowing consumers to watch “Oz The Great and Powerful” at home, in their car, and/or anywhere they go.

The film is directed by Sam Raimi who helmed the record-crushing “Spider-Man” trilogy, and produced by Joe Roth who fashioned Disney’s billion dollar-plus earning “Alice in Wonderland.” “Oz The Great and Powerful” boasts a stellar cast that includes Academy Award nominee James Franco (“127 Hours”) as Oscar Diggs, the predestined wizard; Golden Globe nominee Mila Kunis (“Black Swan”) as the tormented young witch Theodora; Academy Award winner Rachel Weisz (“The Constant Gardener”) as Theodora’s older sister, Evanora, the witch who rules over the Emerald City; and three-time Oscar-nominated actress Michelle Williams (“Brokeback Mountain,” “Blue Valentine,” “My Week with Marilyn”) as Glinda, the Good Witch. 

Bonus Features:

Blu-ray:

Ø  The Magic of “Oz The Great and Powerful” (Second Screen Experience) - An immersive Second Screen experience that details all things Oz.  From an interactive map full of secrets and surprises, to an inside look at the spectacular world of Oz. All fans need to do is download the special “The Magic of Oz The Great and Powerful: Second Screen” App (which is free and currently available for immediate download at the iTunes Store for iPads) which provides fans with infinite opportunities to remain connected to their favorite film, its cast of characters and to dive deeper into the magical world of Oz. This App provides exclusive access to invigorating and exclusive content including:

ü  The Enchanting Characters and Creatures of Oz - From Munchkins and Tinkers to good witches, bad witches, and flying baboons, this piece follows each character and creature of the Land of Oz from inspiration to final outcome.

ü  The Sounds of Magical Oz - What adds fragility to the sounds of China Girl's footsteps; ferocity to the tornado; or weight to the flutter of Finley's flapping wings?

ü  Sleight of Hand: Zach Braff Puppet Theater - Actor, and voice of Finley, Zach Braff introduces viewers to the Finley mockup.

ü  Mariah Carey Music Video

Ø  Bloopers

Ø  My Journey in Oz by James Franco - A personal story produced and directed by James Franco.

Ø  Mr. Elfman’s Musical Concoctions - An interview with composer Danny Elfman unveils his inspiration in scoring “Oz The Great And Powerful.”

Ø  China Girl and the Suspension of Disbelief - This feature uncloaks the several forms of movie magic employed to bring China Girl to life, from the initial artwork and character design, to the on-set puppeteering during filmmaking, and finally, through each stage of the visual-effects process; and includes an interview with Joey King, the voice of China Girl.

Ø  Before Your Very Eyes: From Kansas to Oz - Production designer Robert Stromberg takes viewers through the set design of the Land of Oz, from sketching his original ideas on a napkin, through to the final set pieces and the accompanying visual effects.

Ø  Mila’s Metamorphosis - Lead makeup artist Howard Berger expands on one of the oldest, most tried-and-true forms of movie magic: makeup design and effects.

Ø  Walt Disney and the Road to Oz - It is well known that Walt Disney had a fascination with the Land of Oz since he was a child.  See how that fascination grew into inspiration as he began planning for his own adaptation of the stories in the classic Baum books.

DVD:

Ø  Bloopers

Ø  Walt Disney and the Road to Oz

Social Media:

To learn more and stay connected with the film, please…

·       “Like” us on Facebook: facebook.com/OzTheGreatAndPowerful

·       Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/DisneyOzMovie @DisneyOzMovie

·       Follow us on Pintrest: pinterest.com/disneystudios/oz-the-great-and-powerful

·       Website and Mobile Site: http://www.disney.com/TheWizard

Disc Specifications:

Street Date:                                            June 11, 2013 (Direct Prebook: 4/16; Distributor Prebook: 4/30)

Suggested Retail Pricing:               Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy = $44.99 US/$47.99 Canada

Blu-ray + Digital Copy = $39.99 U.S./$42.99 Canada

DVD + Digital Copy = $29.99 US/$32.99 Canada

Blu-ray 3D + Digital Copy = $44.99 U.S./$47.99 Canada

HD, SD or 3D Digital & On-Demand = please check with your television provider or favorite digital retailer for pricing

Feature Run Time:                              130 Minutes
Ratings:                                                                       US: PG/Canada PG
Aspect Ratio:                                         2.40:1 (beginning of feature plays in 1.33:1)

Audio:                                                         7.1 DTS-HDMA, 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital

Languages:                                              English, Spanish, French

Subtitles:                                                  English SDH, French and Spanish

Film Synopsis:

When Oscar Diggs (James Franco), a small-time circus magician with dubious ethics, is hurled away from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of Oz, he thinks he’s hit the jackpot. Fame and fortune are his for the taking. That is until he meets three witches: Theodora (Mila Kunis), Evanora (Rachel Weisz) and Glinda (Michelle Williams), who are not convinced he is the great wizard everyone’s been expecting.  Reluctantly drawn into the epic problems facing the Land of Oz and its inhabitants, Oscar must find out who is good and who is evil before it is too late.  Putting his magical arts to use through illusion, ingenuity and even a bit of wizardry, Oscar transforms himself not only into a great wizard but into a better man as well.

“Temple Run” Oz Game:

In celebration of the in-home release, Temple Run: Oz will introduce China Girl as an all-new character to the exhilarating running experience (which launched during the theatrical release). The tiny China Girl might be small in size but she is packed with speed and a big attitude. Players will be able to run through all three stunning environments including the latest release Winkie Country and be able to use the “Head Start” feature to fast travel to any location. To learn more, please visit iTunes at http://bit.ly/WgSWAk or Google Play at http://bit.ly/15tVpYH.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 51 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,396 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted May 02 2013 - 08:21 AM

So, the Blu-ray 3D disc will have the movie and all the extras on one disc?

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#3 of 51 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,384 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted May 02 2013 - 09:54 AM

And the 3D will only be 3D.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#4 of 51 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,396 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted May 02 2013 - 11:26 AM

And the 3D will only be 3D.

Thats Ok with me. I never watch the 2D version. For some of my 3D titles, I only have the 3D disc that I bought on eBay. The extras were not that great to spend the extra dollars for.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#5 of 51 ONLINE   Mark_TB

Mark_TB

Second Unit

• 340 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska

Posted May 02 2013 - 01:21 PM

So, the Blu-ray 3D disc will have the movie and all the extras on one disc?

That is what I am wondering.

I was under the impression that the original specs for Blu required the disc to be playable on 2D players (in 2D, of course), and that including a standard BD in the package was really just a bonus.

Edited by Mark_TB, May 02 2013 - 01:21 PM.

#6 of 51 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,250 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 05:58 AM

Digital bits has posted this: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/ regarding a "special offer" for those buying the 3-D edition, so that they can purchase the 2-D at a special price of $5.99 + shipping? Wait, now... So you're saying I have to pay for a (to me) completely useless digital copy, but a 2-D copy isn't included unless I pay another ten or eleven bucks? That would bring the discounted street price to roughly $42.!!

Please stop fiddling with your damn packaging, Disney, and give us the full deal with all your bells and whistles at a reasonable price, like you used to do!

I was on the fence about wanting this release, but now I am clearly on the side of it that screams

NO SALE!

#7 of 51 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,027 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 04 2013 - 06:21 AM

I have to agree with those that won't buy this release as consumers should have an option to purchase this title with both versions on it.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#8 of 51 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,384 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted May 04 2013 - 10:16 AM

I'll bet that special offer is a reaction to consumer complaints they've been receiving.  Of course the proper reactions should have been "Oops, our bad.  We'll include 2D with the 3D at no extra charge since we're already charging and arm and a leg."

Edited by Johnny Angell, May 04 2013 - 10:17 AM.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#9 of 51 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted May 04 2013 - 11:56 AM

That is what I am wondering.

I was under the impression that the original specs for Blu required the disc to be playable on 2D players (in 2D, of course), and that including a standard BD in the package was really just a bonus.

Incorrect impression. While some 3D Blu-rays contain both 3D and 2D on the disc and thus are backward compatible, many are not.

#10 of 51 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,396 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted May 04 2013 - 02:57 PM

Incorrect impression. While some 3D Blu-rays contain both 3D and 2D on the disc and thus are backward compatible, many are not.

Yes, when I rented Dredd from Redbox, I was surprised to see that the 3D and 2D versions were on one disk. That's the only Blu-ray that I have rented from them that has that option. 

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#11 of 51 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,312 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 04 2013 - 03:09 PM

While I'm sure there are more examples, the Toy Story 3-D set is the only one I'm aware that doesn't have a 2-D version included with the 3-D disc (whether on the same or an included disc). The overwhelming majority of 3-D discs have a 2-D option.

#12 of 51 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 03:13 PM

I am hoping that Disney is reading this thread.

This is an awful practice that they have started.  I hope it begins

and ends with this release.

Not making a 2D counterpart available for a 3D release goes

against the grain of what consumers like us expect.  

This all sounds like a little experiment that hopefully they will

realize won't fare well for them.

I don't blame people for not purchasing the 3D release if the

studio is restricting them to that format only.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#13 of 51 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,573 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 04 2013 - 06:10 PM

I am hoping that Disney is reading this thread.

This is an awful practice that they have started.  I hope it begins

and ends with this release.

Not making a 2D counterpart available for a 3D release goes

against the grain of what consumers like us expect.  

This all sounds like a little experiment that hopefully they will

realize won't fare well for them.

I don't blame people for not purchasing the 3D release if the

studio is restricting them to that format only.

Especially for such an inflated price for the 3D disc pack.

#14 of 51 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted May 04 2013 - 08:17 PM

While I'm sure there are more examples, the Toy Story 3-D set is the only one I'm aware that doesn't have a 2-D version included with the 3-D disc (whether on the same or an included disc). The overwhelming majority of 3-D discs have a 2-D option.

I wouldn't say "overwhelming majority," maybe half. For example:

Hugo

Adventures of TinTin

Captain America: The First Avenger

Thor

The Avengers

Tangled

Bolt

Toy Story Movies

Tron Legacy

Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Prometheus

Titanic

All have 3D only on one disc with the 2D version on a separate disc.

Edit: Sorry, I misunderstood your post. What you actually meant was the vast majority have both 3D/2D together in the package and that is of course correct. I was thrown by your reference to Toy Story, because the individual Toy Story releases do have 3D/2D, but I didn't know there was a Box with all 3 movies together which is 3D only

Edited by Mark-P, May 04 2013 - 08:29 PM.

#15 of 51 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted May 04 2013 - 08:21 PM

You know, it might sting a little less if the digital copy that comes with the 3D Blu-ray were in HD, but how much do you want to bet that it's only standard definition? I've never understood why the majority of digital copies that come with Blu-rays are only SD.

#16 of 51 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,044 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 09:32 PM

I have absoutely no use for a "digital copy". I'm not so upset about them not including a 2D version of this either, but they should certainly charge less if that's the case. (Many of Disney's other 3D "combo packs" are overpriced, and I would buy just the 3D version of those at a lower price if it were available!)

Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#17 of 51 ONLINE   Mark_TB

Mark_TB

Second Unit

• 340 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 10:28 PM

I just did a quick Google search, and found many articles from 2009 stating that BD 3D discs ARE backwards compatible with 2D BD players.  For example:

Blu-ray™ 3D uses a new file format called Multiview Video Coding, or MVC, which is an extension of the MPEG-4 AVC format used by standard Blu-ray Disc™. There is not VC-1 or MPEG-2 codec for BD 3D. To encode your video in 3D, you will need to create two full-frame HD streams and use a BD 3D-compatible encoder.

MVC streams are backward compatible with earlier (non-Profile 5) Blu-ray Disc™ players. In this case, only the base view (2D) is displayed.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dostudio/understanding_3d_authoring_blu-ray_3d

So a full 1080p image should still be viewable when playing a 3D disc on non-3D hardware.  Has anyone tried it?

- Mark

#18 of 51 ONLINE   Mark_TB

Mark_TB

Second Unit

• 340 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 10:47 PM

I'll try answering my own question.  I just tried playing the handful of discs that I have that are 3D only -- no 2D disc included in the package.  ALL of them played in 2D, and a couple of them even had a menu option for it.  (For the record, I tried AVATAR, PIRANHA 3D, HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, and RITA COOLIDGE:  PLAY SOMETHING SWEET.)

I also tried HUGO, which showed a screen that said 2D playback was not possible.  But this title DID come with a standard 2D Blu-ray disc, so it wasn't really an issue.

I guess my question is, will the 3D OZ disc be playable on 2D players?  And if it will be, would that be acceptable to most 3D buyers?  It would be to me, as long as all of the extras were also included.

- Mark

#19 of 51 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,821 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 11:01 PM

I'll try answering my own question.  I just tried playing the handful of discs that I have that are 3D only -- no 2D disc included in the package.  ALL of them played in 2D, and a couple of them even had a menu option for it.  (For the record, I tried AVATAR, PIRANHA 3D, HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, and RITA COOLIDGE:  PLAY SOMETHING SWEET.)

I also tried HUGO, which showed a screen that said 2D playback was not possible.  But this title DID come with a standard 2D Blu-ray disc, so it wasn't really an issue.

I guess my question is, will the 3D OZ disc be playable on 2D players?  And if it will be, would that be acceptable to most 3D buyers?  It would be to me, as long as all of the extras were also included.

- Mark

Can't speak for Piranha or Rita, but Avatar and Dragon were early exclusive titles, which often came out as 2D-friendly, since the makers wanted to include as few disks as possible.

(Piranha was an early minor release, and likely came out as a hybrid, for the same reasons as Dredd's lucky-it-got-one release.)

Most everything else major (except for the Dreamworks, which were hardware-exclusives up to Puss in Boots) was intended for separate mainstream release, with 3D-only playback and menu.
As for Oz, we've just gotten conflicting stories:  IS it hybrid, or are they just making the 2D concession to show they've "learned their lesson" that many future-proofing 3D buyers would like smaller combos, but don't happen to own that 3D player just yet?

I see this on the exact same level as a defective disk exchange (more accurately, like the "Oops, THAT didn't work!" backpedal of the Limited Edition DVD's), and if I actually wanted the 2D disk, I'd be more on their side and not throwing fan tantrums.

I'd be more interested to see what form their once-bitten-twice-shy NEXT 3D release takes, if things come out of it positively.

Edited by Ejanss, May 04 2013 - 11:03 PM.

#20 of 51 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,027 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 04 2013 - 11:03 PM

- Mark

IMO, I doubt it.  Otherwise, why offer to send you a 2D BD for 5.99 plus shipping when they can easily release a statement that the 3D disc will default to 2D if played on equipment not 3D compatible?

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users