Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ WWII from Space -- in Blu-ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,605 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 06:51 AM

A new Blu-ray from The History Channel (A&E) via Lionsgate, gives us a new perspective of WWII -- from space.

Not exactly from space, but what we are offered is what high resolution imagery might have looked like, had it been available at the time.

And, more or less, it works.  Used relatively sparingly, the images allow a greater concept of the war from a global perspective.

As history, the 90 minute show seems on target, giving facts, numbers, technical breakdowns of weaponry and scientific advances, and how they affected the outcome of the war.

I was unaware (or had forgotten) that the UK shipped to the Colonies their up to the minute wealth of scientific and technical knowledge, aiding the U.S. in preparing for what was to come.

This is a high quality documentary project, especially useful if one has high school scholars at home.  For the general public, it adds a certain perspective that works.

While I'm not certain that this is a must own disc, it's certainly worth a rental.  Currently $15 at Amazon, about which I'll have a few words shortly.

Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users