-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CBS/Paramount Releases and Demographics

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 of 53 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,818 posts

Posted April 30 2013 - 11:31 AM

what is MOD ?  i am seeing that many places.  and can not find it with a google search.

#22 of 53 David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted April 30 2013 - 11:40 AM

MOD means Manufactured On Demand. Usually it applies to a Studio's 'archive' program. Initially, these were all DVD-R discs, but now, the first orders may be pressed discs.

David

#23 of 53 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted April 30 2013 - 01:51 PM

...Which reminds me of "Dobie Gillis". That will probably never happen either. 

You need to get out more!  The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis complete series release from Shout was announced way back in January.  Amazon began taking pre-orders in early April for a July 2nd release. :)

#24 of 53 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,818 posts

Posted April 30 2013 - 09:18 PM

MOD means Manufactured On Demand. Usually it applies to a Studio's 'archive' program. Initially, these were all DVD-R discs, but now, the first orders may be pressed discs.

David

thanks,

will these show up at amazon, for sale ?  or do mods sell differently ?

#25 of 53 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,076 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 06:34 AM

Sigh. So I suppose "It's a Man's World" will never make it to DVD, if the tapes even exist anymore. Which reminds me of "Dobie Gillis". That will probably never happen either. 

There are no "tapes" for It's A Man's World. It was a filmed show. I doubt it would ever see a DVD release but luckily for collectors, the film prints all made their way out of the vaults and everyone has it.

#26 of 53 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,076 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 06:40 AM

but i also think that most stuff will eventually come out.  one will just have to wait longer for that which is considered to have less of an audience.

The percentage of television released compared to what has been produced is probably no more than 3 or 4 percent. MOST stuff will never come out. Take any TV season you like and go through the shows which aired in network prime time and I guarantee you will not find any season where as much as even 25% of the shows have been released.

#27 of 53 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,818 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 09:37 AM

hi neil,

is there a good site that shows tv seasons ?

i am not really counting shows that played for a season or less, and did poorly.  i dont have any idea as to how many shows like that, there are.

i can tell you that on this site alone, i have had a lot of posters say that "this show" wont be out.  and one by one, each has been wrong.

leave it to beaver is the one comment that i recall the most.

so if you want to play along, lets pick 1963.

if you can post a url with the shows that were on, i will tell you all the shows that i think fall within my statement of them coming out.

and we can see just what percentage of them that is.  i think it will be way higher than 25%.

of course, my statement assumes they still have "film" of it.  if it got destroyed, there is nothing anyone can do about it.

#28 of 53 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,712 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 01 2013 - 10:14 AM

so if you want to play along, lets pick 1963.

if you can post a url with the shows that were on, i will tell you all the shows that i think fall within my statement of them coming out.

I have no clue about the breakdown of what is and isn't on DVD but Wikipedia has the 1962-63 schedule here: http://en.wikipedia....vision_schedule

#29 of 53 Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 10:41 AM

The percentage of television released compared to what has been produced is probably no more than 3 or 4 percent. MOST stuff will never come out. Take any TV season you like and go through the shows which aired in network prime time and I guarantee you will not find any season where as much as even 25% of the shows have been released.

I have to agree with this statement for the most part. I think the only exceptions might be the 65-66, and 66-67 seasons. Those two seasons in particular are very well represented with regard to releases. I think they are probably well over 3 to 4 percent, but nowhere near 25. I also agree that most of the shows will never see the light of day. Too many one season and done, variety shows, and anthology series that have no chance of release.

#30 of 53 Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 11:00 AM

This sparked my interest so I did a little quick research and it seems we were both wrong. I looked at all shows that debuted on the networks in September of the 65-66 season. I did not include mid season replacements as I they aren't included in my research materials. I found that out of 99 regular weekly programs, a staggering 42% have seen a release. They only questionable ones I included were Hillbillies and Kildare. I know that Hillbillies was stalled one season before, and Kildare releases haven't gotten that far yet. If I included Peyton Place and My Three Sons or the number would be higher yet.

#31 of 53 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,818 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 11:21 AM

first, i think we all need to be talking in the same language.

i am not counting news shows and variety shows and game shows.  no one wants to listen to the news of 1963 !!

and i dont think many of the variety shows will be released.  although i would love to see the mitch miller show and the ed sullivan show.

so if you guys were including those types of shows in your percentages, then i definitely understand why you are picking much lower percentages than me.

let me do sunday night from the 62-63 url posted.

father knows best, jetsons, lassie, dennis the menace, the real mccoys, car 54, bonanza.

ge true and ensign o'toole were one season shows that i have no memory of.

the wonderful world of color (and all those disney shows) would be enjoyed by people, but i dont know about disney rights ?

the dupont show of the week is one which i am gonna place on my side.  i think it would be enjoyed by people.  although it may be one of the last stragglers to come over !!  i had completely forgotten about it.

#32 of 53 Silverking

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 12:26 PM

Just another point on the demographics issue no one has mentioned. I read somewhere a while back that a huge part of the DVD market is actually 'gift related'. That is, DVD's bought as gifts. Hence many people of all ages purchase sets to give to perhaps more elderly parents or relatives.

The point being that although the 50+ age group may not buy sets themselves (although I believe an awful lot do- just check the reviews on Amazon for any vintage series).older series are still bought for them as gifts.

• Gary OS likes this

#33 of 53 Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 01:14 PM

first, i think we all need to be talking in the same language.

i am not counting news shows and variety shows and game shows.  no one wants to listen to the news of 1963 !!

and i dont think many of the variety shows will be released.  although i would love to see the mitch miller show and the ed sullivan show.

so if you guys were including those types of shows in your percentages, then i definitely understand why you are picking much lower percentages than me.

let me do sunday night from the 62-63 url posted.

father knows best, jetsons, lassie, dennis the menace, the real mccoys, car 54, bonanza.

ge true and ensign o'toole were one season shows that i have no memory of.

the wonderful world of color (and all those disney shows) would be enjoyed by people, but i dont know about disney rights ?

the dupont show of the week is one which i am gonna place on my side.  i think it would be enjoyed by people.  although it may be one of the last stragglers to come over !!  i had completely forgotten about it.

Although, the percentage is substantially higher than Neil estimated. There were 93 regually scheduled programs during the 62-63 TV season. Of those, 28 have seen a DVD release. That comes to 30%. Your research is faulty because you chose to include 1 night of the week and that night happened to be well represented in releases, Also,there were not news programs in prime time that year that I know of. You also can't just elimate variety shows when one of your initial comments was "most of this stuff will come out." You can't pick and choose want you consider worthy of release. No offense. IMO

#34 of 53 Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,605 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 01:45 PM

Actually, while there are obviously no season sets, there are a few good ED SULLIVAN SHOW sets out now as legitimate DVD releases. The most famous one is the set compiling all 4 appearances by The Beatles, but there's also a 3-show set of Elvis appearances, and a 6-show set of The Rolling Stones appearances. These are all mostly-complete episodes (the running times on a few are a little off, sometimes by 5 minutes or so, so either an act and/or commercial here or there might've been edited out for rights issues) with the original commercials intact, rather than clip compilations from multiple episodes, which are what the majority of ED SULLIVAN disc releases have been.

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#35 of 53 Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,087 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted May 01 2013 - 04:03 PM

I think one thing hindering The Beverly Hillbillies is what I constantly hear from other people and even heard it on this forum once or twice. That thing is many people consider the first three years to be the penultimate years. To me, it reached it's peak in Season Three and Four. The rest of the years were good, but not as good.

Plus, CBS HE made no attempt to really differentiate between their season sets and the numerous PD releases. Why would someone not familiar with the show pay $30 for a season set when they can buy a few episodes out of the dollar bin?

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#36 of 53 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,818 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 04:15 PM

Although, the percentage is substantially higher than Neil estimated. There were 93 regually scheduled programs during the 62-63 TV season. Of those, 28 have seen a DVD release. That comes to 30%. Your research is faulty because you chose to include 1 night of the week and that night happened to be well represented in releases, Also,there were not news programs in prime time that year that I know of. You also can't just elimate variety shows when one of your initial comments was "most of this stuff will come out." You can't pick and choose want you consider worthy of release. No offense. IMO

gosh,  i am simply telling you that i never included those types of shows.  and i did not just pick sunday night.  it was simply the first one listed.  i havent checked if they were actually released yet, or not.

#37 of 53 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,818 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 04:29 PM

monday - cheyenne, rifleman, stoney burke, ben casey, lucy show, danny thomas, andy griffith, stump the stars

stoney burke, loretta young, its a mans world and saints and sinners all lasted only 1 season.  i dont recall any of them.  so i dont have any sort of opinion on those.

regarding game shows, the one that most comes to mind that i think would stand a good chance of a release is PASSWORD.

#38 of 53 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,818 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 04:31 PM

i dont see any sort of edit button.  but stoney burke should not have been placed in the first sentence, since i placed it in the second paragraph.

#39 of 53 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,818 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 04:33 PM

here is another thing that really skews the odds in your favor.  if you get to count every single show that lasted for a half season as 1 on your side.  and bonanza, which lasted 14 years is only 1 point on my side ?

that is hardly representative if we are attempting to figure out HOW MUCH of old tv will be released.

i do plan to do the rest of the five days.  i do not want to get accused of picking only the good days !!!

#40 of 53 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,818 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 06:10 PM

tuesday - combat, hawaiian eye, untouchables, gunsmoke, laramie

empire was on just 1 season - have no recall of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users