What's new

American Horror Story: Coven (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
According to Entertainment Weekly, Kathy Bates will be playing...
...real life serial killer Madame LaLaurie, the 19th century Louisiana socialite infamous for torturing and killing black slaves in her New Orleans mansion.
So far, in addition to Kathy Bates the cast for American Horror Story: Coven includes Jessica Lange, Frances Conroy, Evan Peters, Gabourey Sidibe, Lily Rabe, Sarah Paulson, Angela Bassett, Taissa Farmiga, Patti LuPone, Emma Roberts, Denis O'Hare and Alexandra Breckenridge.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
So, is that pronounced "COH-ven", because otherwise "Cuh-ven" would sound like "oven", and the director couldn't handle that?

(Sorry, just wanted to see who'd get that. :D )

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Official description from FX:
"American Horror Story: Coven" tells the secret history of witches and witchcraft in America. Over 300 years have passed since the turbulent days of the Salem witch trials and those who managed to escape are now facing extinction. Mysterious attacks have been escalating against their kind and young girls are being sent away to a special school in New Orleans to learn how to protect themselves. Wrapped up in the turmoil is new arrival, Zoe (Taissa Farmiga), who is harboring a terrifying secret of her own. Alarmed by the recent aggression, Fiona (Jessica Lange), the long-absent Supreme, sweeps back into town, determined to protect the Coven and hell-bent on decimating anyone who gets in her way.
From what I've read, it's basically going to focus on a war between the (primarily white) descendants of the Salem witches and the (primarily black) voodoo witches of the gulf coast and West Indies, touching on slavery and oppression and the dark corners of American history. But, given that it's American Horror Story we're talking about, I'm sure there's going to be a whole lot of other crazy stuff in the mix, too.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Official description from FX:From what I've read, it's basically going to focus on a war between the (primarily white) descendants of the Salem witches and the (primarily black) voodoo witches of the gulf coast and West Indies, touching on slavery and oppression and the dark corners of American history. But, given that it's American Horror Story we're talking about, I'm sure there's going to be a whole lot of other crazy stuff in the mix, too.
I DO hope the "crazy stuff in the mix" is scaled back just a bit this season. I LOVED last season, but there were just a few too many storylines running.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
MarkMel said:
I know it's fiction, but like Mark says, creepy. I tried watching last year, got through about four episodes and couldn't go any further. Don't know if I've got buried childhood memories or something happened in my past, but the show was just incredibly disturbing and I couldn't go on.

I normally really enjoy shows like this, but this one just went a little to far over the edge.

I'll try again this season, especially with Kathy Bates in the cast.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Stan said:
I know it's fiction, but like Mark says, creepy. I tried watching last year, got through about four episodes and couldn't go any further. Don't know if I've got buried childhood memories or something happened in my past, but the show was just incredibly disturbing and I couldn't go on.

I normally really enjoy shows like this, but this one just went a little to far over the edge.

I'll try again this season, especially with Kathy Bates in the cast.
This season is supposed to be lighter than last year, with a bit more humor and a higher "fun" quotient. I stared off not caring for Season Two, but by the end, I really loved it. The characters had such great arcs, and the cast was sensational at keeping the acting grounded even when the writing was wild.
My concern about Coven is Ryan Murphy's statement about Salem witches who "escaped burning" and the teaser trailer called "Stakes," both of which imply that he and the writers haven't done their homework for this season. No accused witches were burned in America. We hanged them (and one was pressed to death under boulders). I would expect better from Murphy, but hopefully the actual show will prove this isn't the case.

BTW, anybody catch the interview with Murphy where he said his initial idea for S3 was an exploration of the Manson family murders? He said it proved very difficult because you have to get the rights from so many people to tell their life story, but he hasn't abandoned the idea. I think that could be a great season.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
JohnMor said:
My concern about Coven is Ryan Murphy's statement about Salem witches who "escaped burning" and the teaser trailer called "Stakes," both of which imply that he and the writers haven't done their homework for this season. No accused witches were burned in America. We hanged them (and one was pressed to death under boulders). I would expect better from Murphy, but hopefully the actual show will prove this isn't the case.
Since this is the "secret history" of witches in America, he can always write in that the burnings were never documented like the hangings. Also, while no accused witches were burned in America, a non-insignificant number of slaves were in the early days. Given that slavery seems to tie heavy into this season, "AHS:C" might say that those slaves were actually witches.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Official poster:
ahs_coven_poster1.jpg

It's been said before, but it bears repeating: Look at that cast!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Granted, I haven't seen a frame of the show yet but I think that's a cast that could rank up there with the best casts that TV has right now (Breaking Bad, Mad Men and Parks And Recreation).

EDIT: Also, it's nice to see that they cast younger actors that bring more to the show than just good looks (especially Farmiga and Peters).

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Official poster:
attachicon.gif
ahs_coven_poster1.jpg

Just as JohnMor gets me in the mood to give this show another try, you post that picture. Way to go Adam, creep me out even more than before.

Odd that I totally enjoy shows like Dexter, way over the top compared to this. I'll give it a try, hopefully it is a little "lighter" this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks