Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

American Horror Story: Coven

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 of 125 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,398 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted April 29 2013 - 10:54 AM

Oscar nominee Gabourey Sidibe joins the cast

She joins newcomer (and Oscar winner) Kathy Bates (Misery), along with returning cast members Frances Conroy, Taissa Farmiga, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Lily Rabe and the great Jessica Lange.

The story will take place in multiple locations and shoot extensively on location for the first time.

Edited by Adam Lenhardt, April 30 2013 - 05:51 AM.

#2 of 125 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted April 30 2013 - 03:18 AM

Adam must really like Lily Rabe.

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#3 of 125 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,398 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted April 30 2013 - 05:52 AM

Whoops! That's what I get for haphazardly copying and pasting.

#4 of 125 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,466 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted May 01 2013 - 09:24 PM

Can't wait for this season.

#5 of 125 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,398 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 02 2013 - 04:15 PM

According to Entertainment Weekly, Kathy Bates will be playing...
Spoiler

So far, in addition to Kathy Bates the cast for American Horror Story: Coven includes Jessica Lange, Frances Conroy, Evan Peters, Gabourey Sidibe, Lily Rabe, Sarah Paulson, Angela Bassett, Taissa Farmiga, Patti LuPone, Emma Roberts, Denis O'Hare and Alexandra Breckenridge.

#6 of 125 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,466 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 04:17 PM

Some new revelations about S3... don't read if you don't want to know!

http://www.deadline....or-story-coven/

EDIT: LOL Adam, almost simultaneously!

Edited by JohnMor, August 02 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#7 of 125 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,337 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 02 2013 - 04:22 PM

Denis O'Hare

As always, they've got a great cast but I'm really glad to see O'Hare return.

#8 of 125 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,865 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 04:25 PM

So, is that pronounced "COH-ven", because otherwise "Cuh-ven" would sound like "oven", and the director couldn't handle that?

(Sorry, just wanted to see who'd get that.  :D  )

#9 of 125 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,501 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 04:41 PM

A stellar cast!  Cannot wait....

#10 of 125 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,398 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 06 2013 - 03:00 PM

First teaser:

Edited by Adam Lenhardt, August 06 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#11 of 125 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,501 posts

Posted August 06 2013 - 04:36 PM

:thumbsup:

#12 of 125 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted August 07 2013 - 06:21 AM

Creepy!

"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#13 of 125 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,398 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 31 2013 - 06:48 PM

Official description from FX:

"American Horror Story: Coven" tells the secret history of witches and witchcraft in America. Over 300 years have passed since the turbulent days of the Salem witch trials and those who managed to escape are now facing extinction. Mysterious attacks have been escalating against their kind and young girls are being sent away to a special school in New Orleans to learn how to protect themselves. Wrapped up in the turmoil is new arrival, Zoe (Taissa Farmiga), who is harboring a terrifying secret of her own. Alarmed by the recent aggression, Fiona (Jessica Lange), the long-absent Supreme, sweeps back into town, determined to protect the Coven and hell-bent on decimating anyone who gets in her way.

From what I've read, it's basically going to focus on a war between the (primarily white) descendants of the Salem witches and the (primarily black) voodoo witches of the gulf coast and West Indies, touching on slavery and oppression and the dark corners of American history. But, given that it's American Horror Story we're talking about, I'm sure there's going to be a whole lot of other crazy stuff in the mix, too.

#14 of 125 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,501 posts

Posted September 01 2013 - 05:30 AM

Official description from FX:

From what I've read, it's basically going to focus on a war between the (primarily white) descendants of the Salem witches and the (primarily black) voodoo witches of the gulf coast and West Indies, touching on slavery and oppression and the dark corners of American history. But, given that it's American Horror Story we're talking about, I'm sure there's going to be a whole lot of other crazy stuff in the mix, too.

I DO hope the "crazy stuff in the mix" is scaled back just a bit this season.  I LOVED last season, but there were just a few too many storylines running.

#15 of 125 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,252 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:03 AM

Creepy!

I know it's fiction, but like Mark says, creepy. I tried watching last year, got through about four episodes and couldn't go any further. Don't know if I've got buried childhood memories or something happened in my past, but the show was just incredibly disturbing and I couldn't go on.

I normally really enjoy shows like this, but this one just went a little to far over the edge.

I'll try again this season, especially with Kathy Bates in the cast.

Stan

#16 of 125 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,466 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 09:12 PM

I know it's fiction, but like Mark says, creepy. I tried watching last year, got through about four episodes and couldn't go any further. Don't know if I've got buried childhood memories or something happened in my past, but the show was just incredibly disturbing and I couldn't go on.

I normally really enjoy shows like this, but this one just went a little to far over the edge.

I'll try again this season, especially with Kathy Bates in the cast.

This season is supposed to be lighter than last year, with a bit more humor and a higher "fun" quotient.  I stared off not caring for Season Two, but by the end, I really loved it.  The characters had such great arcs, and the cast was sensational at keeping the acting grounded even when the writing was wild.

My concern about Coven is Ryan Murphy's statement about Salem witches who "escaped burning" and the teaser trailer called "Stakes," both of which imply that he and the writers haven't done their homework for this season.  No accused witches were burned in America.  We hanged them (and one was pressed to death under boulders).  I would expect better from Murphy, but hopefully the actual show will prove this isn't the case.

BTW, anybody catch the interview with Murphy where he said his initial idea for S3 was an exploration of the Manson family murders?  He said it proved very difficult because you have to get the rights from so many people to tell their life story, but he hasn't abandoned the idea.  I think that could be a great season. 

#17 of 125 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,398 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 03 2013 - 03:58 AM

My concern about Coven is Ryan Murphy's statement about Salem witches who "escaped burning" and the teaser trailer called "Stakes," both of which imply that he and the writers haven't done their homework for this season.  No accused witches were burned in America.  We hanged them (and one was pressed to death under boulders).  I would expect better from Murphy, but hopefully the actual show will prove this isn't the case.

Since this is the "secret history" of witches in America, he can always write in that the burnings were never documented like the hangings. Also, while no accused witches were burned in America, a non-insignificant number of slaves were in the early days. Given that slavery seems to tie heavy into this season, "AHS:C" might say that those slaves were actually witches.

#18 of 125 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,398 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 03 2013 - 04:12 PM

Official poster:

ahs_coven_poster1.jpg

It's been said before, but it bears repeating: Look at that cast!

#19 of 125 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,337 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 03 2013 - 06:19 PM

Granted, I haven't seen a frame of the show yet but I think that's a cast that could rank up there with the best casts that TV has right now (Breaking Bad, Mad Men and Parks And Recreation).

EDIT: Also, it's nice to see that they cast younger actors that bring more to the show than just good looks (especially Farmiga and Peters).

Edited by TravisR, September 03 2013 - 06:23 PM.

• JohnMor likes this

#20 of 125 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,252 posts

Posted September 03 2013 - 06:48 PM

Official poster:

attachicon.gifahs_coven_poster1.jpg

Just as JohnMor gets me in the mood to give this show another try, you post that picture. Way to go Adam, creep me out even more than before.

Odd that I totally enjoy shows like Dexter, way over the top compared to this. I'll give it a try, hopefully it is a little "lighter" this season.

Stan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users