What's new

DIY RCA Cable terminations (1 Viewer)

chaostoday

Grip
Real Name
Jason
Ok, I'm very new to DIY but I love experimenting with cables!!!I have several hundred feet of Belden 8241 and would love to build some RCA's .and digital video cables that I hope will be dynamite!I currently have at least 10 or 12 switchcraft 3502 RCA's but have never soldered a connector on 75OHM Coax. I have silver solder and a nice re-work station but lack the confidence to do it.Can anyone recommend some other budget terminations?I would love to try the Canare RCAP-C4A plug but have questions. Where can I get the best price? Do I need the Canare crimp tool (expensive) to terminate the plugs properly?What about Neutrik or WBT?I wanna have some fun with this and I have plenty of cable to do it. I would love to try soldering vs. crimp but need some advice on it and maybe a step by step...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No point in using "esoteric" ends on copper-clad steel RG59.

If this were all copper RG6...sure, knock yourself out. Just cut some 6" sections off and practice. The best "connectors" are the ones you don't screw up. As in, buy some...put them on...and the ones "easiest for you not to screw up" are the best.

chaostoday

Grip
Real Name
Jason
Belden 8241 is a very "esoteric" cable.If you want to maximize the quality of the IC then you need ends that won't kill the potential of the cable. Some of the finer IC's produced today are made from belden 8241, 1505 and 89259

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Copper clad steel RG59 is not esoteric.Every source for it (currently looking at Markertek) describes it..."Standard 75ohm analog video coax"How do you get esoteric from that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks