What's new

What is the best Blu-ray player? (1 Viewer)

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
iseethink720 said:
What is the best Blu-ray player available in the market today?
Really depends on what you are looking for. PQ all players are the same, upscaling and Audio, i would go with the OPPO's.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
PQ=picture quality. Upscaling=how well the player upconverts DVD.

OPPO=video/audiophile grade product with excellent mfg. support at commensurately high pricing compared to more mainstream mfgs. like Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, LG.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
my current dvd player has upscaling. it was supposedly one of the better ones to do that.

i bought it, not really knowing whether it really makes much difference.

does upscaling really make any noticeable difference in pq ?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
To the original question, Oppo is the best. But it is expensive.

And welcome, Ellen, to HTF!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm still a big fan of using a PS/3 as a Blu-Ray player because you just know that every title will work on this player given how large an install base the player possesses. The Oppos are great models, no question and are worth considering.

It really depends upon what your criteria are for the player, how large your display happens to be, how many DVD titles do you plan to watch (where up-scaling becomes more of a factor), how much money are you comfortable spending upon the player, and so on.

Welcome to the HTF.

- Walter.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I decided to test my budget Panasonic blu ray player for upscaling, i use this with a Samsung E6500 60 inch plasma tv, i also have a PS3 and an Oppo BD-83 player, both are excellent at upscaling, i put on a few films and i gotta say, the budget Panasonic does a helluva good job, it also does a very good job with reproducing movie soundtracks, it's the Panasonic DMP-BDT120, cheap but with plenty of features and very good upscaling for DVD's, naturally it is excellent for BD playback too, i'd recommend it if on a budget, if not on a budget then go for an Oppo.

P.S, I forgot to add this, you can have the best blu ray player and the best display in the world but unless its calibrated then you might not be achieving it's full potential, even a wrong setting within a blu ray player can diminish the image, some people view their TV/Projector using the dynamic setting ( torch mode ) and some have the sharpness control set way too high, all will have an impact on overall image quality.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
two posters mentioned something about the size of one's dvd collection.

i can't figure out how that can possibly make a difference, regarding upscaling and pq ?

but i do plan to have my collection grow to a considerable number by the time i hit the bucket !!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
there is something called 4k upscaling, now. the blu-ray players are not that much more expensive. but 4k monitors are prohibitively expensive.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Steve Tannehill said:
To the original question, Oppo is the best. But it is expensive.

And welcome, Ellen, to HTF!
+1 on the Oppo player. and welcome to HTF.

Jacob

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Have to agree with Oppo, I have an older model, but the PQ and upscaling are phenomenal.

Lee Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee F. Smith
I bought the Oppo 103 a couple of months ago. Great player. I would recommend it.

It has MHL and network share support if you care about those things.

But, my cheap Panasonic 210 is also a good player.

Lee Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee F. Smith

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Lee Smith said:
Have had no problems with the 210. had it for a couple of years.

It has been replaced by newer models. Just checked Amazon and the newest model is not getting the best reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMPBDT230-Wi-Fi-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B00AYB3OMG/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

It's only $130. I am always skeptical of Amazon reviews. And, there are only 8 reviews so far. But, I would wait on this one to see if the review trend to lower marks continues.
They actually changed the main chip in this years models, last years which i linked to and i own one of them are much better quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks