Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

To All Studios: Stop Window-Boxing Credits!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 518 posts

Posted April 28 2013 - 08:33 PM

god-dammit... wtf is wrong with you? why do you keep window-boxing opening and/or end credits? i thought we are done with this overscan bs on blu-ray?! the latest offender on blu-ray is marathon man by paramount pictures. i hated it on thunderball, i hated it on le mans and sure hate on this one.

stop doing it!!!

*rant over*

ps: include the original theatrical mix and studios logos on your movies.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Bob-ATL

Bob-ATL

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 05:55 AM

Amen, brother!

I hate that too.

Paramount's Grease is an offender too.  It irritates me every time I watch it.

"She's into malacas, Dino!" Gary-Weird Science

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   seangood79

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 06:11 AM

It's not just Blu-rays. I've seen 2K DCPs of It Happened One Night and Roman Holiday with windowboxed credits.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,732 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 29 2013 - 08:08 AM

This is a holdover from the days of standard definition TV. I don't know why studios still insist on doing it; don't most HDTVs have overscan functions anyway, which would make this unnecessary?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 518 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 07:12 AM

i just found another offender.

friday the 13th part 3 - uk br (2d only) and the u.s. br (2d + 3d) make heavy use of window boxing the opening credits.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,405 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 08:07 AM

This is a holdover from the days of standard definition TV.

You would think, but a number of recent offenders didn't windowbox credits on older DVD masters - the Bond films and Star Trek III, for example.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,788 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 07 2013 - 10:16 AM

The problem lies in the lack of any update for the title safe guidelines. They are calibrated for much older TV standards that had far more overscan.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted May 07 2013 - 10:31 AM

"Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" is really bad too. I hope "The Wizard of Oz" isn't windowboxed this next time.

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 913 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 02:10 PM

You would think, but a number of recent offenders didn't windowbox credits on older DVD masters - the Bond films and Star Trek III, for example.

Well, the windowboxing on Thunderball goes back a looooong time, but you're right about later Bond films like TWINE. Temple of Doom's end credits have been affected as well, and that one was Paramount, as was Trek III, Grease, Marathon Man etc. The folks on the mountain sure do love their outdated home video methods.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 05:49 AM

In all fairness, a lot of consumers aren't familiar with the settings of their displays. Only last week, I had to help my neighbour switch off the Trumotion "feature" on his plasma as it was causing all kinds of weird motion artifacts. I've seen loads of flat screens displaying a stretched 4:3 picture, and I know from my own LCD that it has to be set to "Just Scan" to display output without overscan.The industry is simply catering for the lowest common denominator, sadly.
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Rob W

Rob W

Supporting Actor

• 521 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted May 08 2013 - 04:49 PM

In almost every case I've seen of windowboxed credits, the credits themselves are nowhere near the edges of the frame and in no possible way would be cut off on even the most maladjusted sets. Theatrical framing can be even more variable than tv screens and any filmmaker with experience composes carefully to account for this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users